Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
[SPOILERS] HTTYD 3 review
Topic Started: 24 Feb 2019, 03:23 (11625 Views)
Dragondog
Female Winged Wonder

They initially planned to have Drago, but he got cut out :(
"When something looks too perfect, it probably sucks" - Tuffnut

"Sticks and stones may break your bones, but I will break your neck" - Hank the Cowdog
GO TEAM
P A T H E T I C ! ! !
Yahoo!!
:nightfuryegg: :toothless: :nightfuryegg:
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

BooksAreLikeDragons
Scribe of Berk

Dragondog
24 Feb 2019, 03:23
They initially planned to have Drago, but he got cut out :(
I know. It's a shame... :(
Books are like dragons... if we do not believe in them, and read them, they will cease to exist.
How then will we learn the language and understand the stories of the dear dead ghosts of the past?

IMPORTANT NOTICE

Whitefang
twelve days north of hopeless

AstridHofferson
23 Feb 2019, 19:06
Am I the only one that felt empty after watching It?.......sounds strange but I guess I was overwhelmed after literal years of waiting.
I felt the same way honestly? I have less grievances about the movie than BooksAreLikeDragons did (not that that is a bad thing, it can be good to criticize things you like), but I also left the theater feeling kind of empty the first time I saw it? I'm going to see it again this weekend so we'll see if it happens again, but personally I think I was just kind of overwhelmed that this was almost 10 years of my life kind of coming to a close.

I also wanted to reply to your (Books) point on Valka. I agree, and while I understand that she had a much more important role in the second film it did feel a little bit stupid to include the running joke with Snotlout. She got some cool scenes, but nowhere near the level of HTTYD2 which is kind of unfortunate because her and Cloudjumper are just so cool.
Find me on tumblr and deviantart!
I have been here an embarrassingly long time

8)

Night_Stalker
Dragon Trainer class 5

Feel like there should have been more mom and son moments and the snotlout/valka stuff was really unnecessary. Also disapointed ruff/tuff never learned to work together and snotlout never learned to not be obnoxious.

OC: Oliver and Storm

Dragondog
Female Winged Wonder

I honestly don't like the Snotlout/Valka stuff :/
"When something looks too perfect, it probably sucks" - Tuffnut

"Sticks and stones may break your bones, but I will break your neck" - Hank the Cowdog
GO TEAM
P A T H E T I C ! ! !
Yahoo!!
:nightfuryegg: :toothless: :nightfuryegg:

BooksAreLikeDragons
Scribe of Berk

Dragondog
28 Feb 2019, 04:53
I honestly don't like the Snotlout/Valka stuff :/
Me neither. It's actually sort of creepy. :ermm:

I also wasn't a fan of the Light Fury's design. She looked too exaggerated and feminine to me, complete with a sparkly texture on her scales. :huh: ^) I understand that she needed to be distinguishable from Toothless, but I still felt a bit like she had come straight out of My Little Pony. Why was there a need for the subspecies thing? I feel like it cheapened Hiccup's quest to find a Night Fury. Couldn't she just have been a Night Fury with blue eyes?

However, I really liked her sound design. I remember reading/watching something where the sound designers from the first film (I think?) were interviewed, and they said for the sound effects of Toothless, they used horses (amongst other creatures), which are domesticated animals. By contrast, I thought it was really interesting how they had mixed cat sounds for the Light Fury, to convey her wildness.

Simply put, HTTYD 3 was by no means a bad film cinematically. It's still really good. But narratively — in terms of telling a good story — and for HTTYD as a whole, it doesn't quite match the brilliance of the first or second films.

John Powell did an absolutely masterful job with the soundtrack, as he has done with every film in the franchise. The music is actually what made me fall in love with HTTYD in the first place.
Books are like dragons... if we do not believe in them, and read them, they will cease to exist.
How then will we learn the language and understand the stories of the dear dead ghosts of the past?

IMPORTANT NOTICE

BooksAreLikeDragons
Scribe of Berk

Despite the fact that HTTYD 3 had the longest development time of any film in the franchise (#1 apparently took 18 months, #2 was four years, and #3 half a decade), it still somehow felt a bit rushed in terms of the pacing. ^)

IMPORTANT NOTICE

Whitefang
twelve days north of hopeless

I don't think the development length has anything to do with pacing in a movie- like maybe they'd be more likely to revise and slow down the pacing but it doesn't eliminate the chances. I also felt HTTYD 2's pacing was way too fast, and I think 3 had the same problem. It's just that both are trying to include so much in a short amount of time and that typically makes it feel a little rushed.
Find me on tumblr and deviantart!
I have been here an embarrassingly long time

8)

BooksAreLikeDragons
Scribe of Berk

Whitefang
14 Mar 2019, 05:17
I don't think the development length has anything to do with pacing in a movie- like maybe they'd be more likely to revise and slow down the pacing but it doesn't eliminate the chances. I also felt HTTYD 2's pacing was way too fast, and I think 3 had the same problem. It's just that both are trying to include so much in a short amount of time and that typically makes it feel a little rushed.
I agree.

IMPORTANT NOTICE

Hulk10
Terrible Terror

My biggest issue is the idea that Toothless is the last of his kind...……. That really ruins the movie for me since the Night Fury is my favorite Dragon species...…….

Though in RTTE there are some signs that perhaps there are other Night Furies out there.
Night Fury