Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
  • Pages:
[HTTYD3 Spoiler]
Topic Started: 27 Apr 2018, 00:06 (10738 Views)
Lovaasnah
Hatchling

Hi everyone, so with this whole Light Fury business, there is something nerdy I want to address. Genetic PSA haha!
Due to her white color, almost everyone is going to call her albino. That may not be accurate though as she may in fact be leucistic. Both are mutations that affect the enzyme tyrosinase which is necessary for the production of melanin (skin pigment/color) but albinism is a complete absence of pigmentation whereas leucism is only a partial absence. The key difference will be the eye color as albinism affects the pigment cells in the eyes (lack of pigment allows blood vessels to be visible, creating that well known "red" eye) whereas leucism does not affect the pigment cells in the eyes. So despite the body being all white, the eyes will remain colored in a leucistic specimen.

I know this is a super nerdy unimportant detail but I care about realism for this franchise, accuracy in describing the expression of genetic mutations, and I know we all care about our dragons so...if Toothless's white lady friend has "red" eyes, she's albino. If they are colored, she's leucistic.

Any fun predictions on which you think she will be? An Ali or a Lucy?
I think leucistic. I love the "red" eyes of albinos but, granted she is not antagonistic (which honestly, I would love/prefer considering in reality, Toothless doesn't have much of a shot with a wild mate anyway) I think she will instead probably be good and have colored eyes as they would seem more beautiful or attractive plus...."red" may creep out most people/kids!

PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

NightFury2001
Has left

Well I've seen 4 main theories going around:
1. She is an albino or is leucistic.
2. Light Furies are an actual subspecies, perhaps using the clouds to camouflage or maybe they live in a snowy environment.
3. Female Night Furies are white.
4. White is a normal color for Night Furies.

I think 4 is the worst, making no sense for a dragon meant to camouflage in the night. I also don't like 3, I always envisioned female Night Furies as having the same colors as the males and it just doesn't really feel right to me, but it's possible I suppose. 2 is also possible but just doesn't really fit the whole "theme" of the Night Fury if you get what I'm saying, and it also reeks of crappy fanfics, perhaps even more than the whole albino idea.

1 is the best imo, I'm still not a big fan of the whole white Night Fury idea but if that's the way it's going to be I'd much rather it over the other theories. I could see her being either one, but I personally hope they go for albino instead of leucistic.
https://nightfury2001.carrd.co/

hictooth
Archivist of Berk

I've changed the topic title of this to [HTTYD3 Spoiler] just because I wouldn't want people who are avoiding httyd3 spoilers to accidentally see it in the Active Topics list. A little while after the film is released I'll change it back.
Astrid - "Hictooth"?
Hiccup - Yeah, it's not my snappiest comeback.

Lovaasnah
Hatchling

I agree and hope, if she unfortunately is actually white, that there is a realistic explanation.

Apparently she is not confirmed white though? People who viewed the footage at CinemaCon said white but then I was told she isn't technically confirmed white by DWA HTTYD team. I am not sure how on could mistake a pigmented dragon for a white dragon or even more....how false news could be so blatantly stated. Perhaps the footage not being finished will explain this issue and DWA will have her be pigmented after all!
Either way though, white or not, the genetic information would still be true, haha!

Lovaasnah
Hatchling

Not a problem Hictooth about spoilers filter.
My mistake and apologies. I didn't realize I had the power to make an entire thread spoiler safe or that this was considered spoiler as it was speculation...sadly I don't think there are any credible citations/images/links/confirmations from DWA etc. that she is white after all. Lighter obviously, but not WHITE. I hope that's the case!
Again I apologize and thank you for your help.

NightFury2001
Has left

Lovaasnah
27 Apr 2018, 07:03
I agree and hope, if she unfortunately is actually white, that there is a realistic explanation.

Apparently she is not confirmed white though? People who viewed the footage at CinemaCon said white but then I was told she isn't technically confirmed white by DWA HTTYD team. I am not sure how on could mistake a pigmented dragon for a white dragon or even more....how false news could be so blatantly stated. Perhaps the footage not being finished will explain this issue and DWA will have her be pigmented after all!
Either way though, white or not, the genetic information would still be true, haha!
Well from what I know people who have seen the footage have described her as all white so it's kinda confirmed, not to mention apparently one character even calls her a "Light Fury". Only way we aren't getting a white Night Fury is if like you mentioned the texture for her is very unfinished or if for some reason DW decided to just troll us all, both seem kinda unlikely.

Lovaasnah
Hatchling

As unlikely and even prankish/petty as the trolling option may be...I would forgive DWA if she ultimately wasn't white after all! haha!
Agreed though...how do you misinterpret white otherwise? Exactly how "unfinished" was this footage? Someone said it was black and white? People posting information online who watched the footage should have put a disclaimer before hand and that she wasn't confirmed white etc.
I would totally be okay with her being a silver or deep steel grey, hued, patterned, etc.
Alas though...I still love the franchise and I am sure if she is white, the team will do a great job making her look beautiful as intended for Toothless and the target audience.

Lovaasnah
Hatchling

Also, any developments and or information regarding Toothless's potential mate are more than welcome here. I do not mind tangents, development, extensions etc to the original thread at all just as long as they do remain about the new Night/Light Fury or even additional Furies that may be revealed with time.

NightFury2001
Has left

So the poster for HTTYD 3 came out and it shows the Light Fury and...I'm disappointed. The only way I can see her design working is if she's some sort of aquatic or semi-aquatic subspecies (and even then I'm not a huge fan of it). I mean, she has a long fin down her back, fins on her front legs, her skull is shaped differently, her ear plates are different and the largest ones look like they may be glowing, she also has a smoother body, not to mention her coloration. She definitely seems like a subspecies to me rather than a leucistic Night Fury/a regular female Night Fury. Also the hidden world seems to be underwater...so yeah.

Whitefang
twelve days north of hopeless

I'm not gonna defend the design because I don't necessarily have an opinion on it yet (saving it for the trailer), but I think people are blowing this slightly out of proportion. Accusing DreamWorks of being sexist because so many people think that female Night Furies just look weak and small is ridiculous considering this dragon doesn't even look like a Night Fury. Considering none of the other species in the HTTYD universe show any kind of sexual dimorphism, I think we can reasonably assume Night Furies would not either. I'm betting that it's a subspecies or other variation that has adapted to live in a different environment.
Additionally, no one has confirmed that this is the exact dragon that Toothless falls in love with? All of the details we got say that Toothless meets an untamed mate and also that there is a white Night Fury-like dragon in this movie. No one ever confirmed that those are the same thing.
I think people are overreacting a little to all of this, and while I understand being upset (I'm not saying you're not allowed to dislike it) I do not think DWA would give us a poorly written character with no background or explanation.
That's my two cents on all this business. I think we all need to calm down and wait for the trailer before making a final judgement.
Find me on tumblr and deviantart!
I have been here an embarrassingly long time

8)