Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Unlikable Hiccup moments in ROB/DOB
Topic Started: 12 May 2014, 18:15 (11757 Views)
Hope_and_Heir

[color=#B40431]Winner of Shnuckle's Oneshot Fanfiction Contest 2014
[/color]

Of course I've always like bookverse Fishlegs a lot better… he's not my favorite but in my opinion he's much better than movieverse Fishlegs
'There Were Dragons When I Was A Boy…'

PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

AuroraBorealis
Monstrous Nightmare

Hope_and_Heir
12 May 2014, 22:15
Of course I've always like bookverse Fishlegs a lot better… he's not my favorite but in my opinion he's much better than movieverse Fishlegs
Yeah... at first he was just kinda a sidekick, but then the Deadly Shadow came and his story... now he's great! (Should I spoiler toggle this?)
What should I write on my signature? Hmm...
I am a Httyd, Gravity Falls and Portal (One and two) fan.
I'm also a bookworm and an introvert.
That was pretty random, but that's me summed up in two sentences.

KentuckyWildcat
Raw Vikingness

Now that the show is over for now and I've had some time to think about it more, keeping consistent characters was one of its major weaknesses. Stoick was probably the most consistent with the movie in my opinion, Astrid was generally fine with just few minor problems, and Hiccup was hit and miss as discussed at length here.

Fishlegs- The movie portrayed him as a nerd. He could rattle off dragon stats as if they were RPG characters, but he wasn't actually very skilled in combat. Although the show generally still portrayed him as knowledgeable, they toned down the gamer references in favor of having him be perhaps a little too much in touch with his feminine side. That combined with a few too many Metalug fart jokes that were absent from the movie are what I found annoying about him.

Snotlout- In the movie, he talked a much bigger game than he could deliver, and he tried way too hard (and failed) to impress Astrid, but he was generally harmless. The TV show turned him into an unlikable jerk far too often in my opinion. He actively bullied Fishlegs and to a lesser extent Hiccup, bothered Astrid to the point that it could be considered harassment, and by Cast Out Part 1 didn't care if his recklessness killed people, including himself. He was probably my least favorite character during the show.

Ruff and Tuff- Most of their humor in the movie came from their bickering with each other as well as Tuff's inability to back up his tough talk. The show mostly just played them both as being dumb as a bag of hammers. Again, I prefer them in the movie.

Gobber- Similar to Ruff and Tuff, he got dumbed down by the show. Although he was certainly eccentric in movie and had some funny lines, he actually seemed intelligent and observant overall. The aspect of him being a seasoned warrior who was Stoick's right-hand man was virtually non-existent, and he did some really stupid stuff (most notably in the Viking For Hire episode) that I just can't see him doing in the movie.

So yeah, if there ends up being a third season, I really hope they keep the characters more consistent with the movie.
Come death. Come suffering. I will not live in fear. In this fleeting life where time escapes us, the path of least resistance is a slow quiet death. I'd rather burn out than fade away.

Eclipse-Wolven
Ninja Dragon

Some of the stuff people have said already I agree with, such as the way he treated Toothless in "The Terrible Twos" and Astrid in "Heather Report (Part 1)", and also the way he flat out took away Gustav's dragon in "The Flight Stuff". Also, some of their characterization was off, as was also previously mentioned. Ruffnut and Tuffnut in particular just seemed stupid as opposed to their movie counterparts.

I mean, to be fair, I would have liked it to be taken darker places than I guess they were able to being a kids show on Cartoon Network, so I won't hold that against them, but they DID do a few things wrong as much as I liked both seasons of the show.
-Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup-

ACMusicVids
Hatchling

What I missed about Hiccup - especially in the second season - was his skills as a dragon trainer.

Comparing to the movie, Hiccup trained all the dragons the others are riding, but he couldn't manage to train or have the least knowledge about the dragons they met, like the trapped Scauldron or the Skrill...

Looking at the other characters, I have to say that I think Toothless have been made way too cute. Only few episodes showed us his more dark side, but come on - there must be a reason for him being the most feared dragon on Berk...

The twins and Snotlout became to me, characters where I couldn't stop wondering why Hiccup would continue having them in the Academy. They didn't listen, they're rude to Hiccup and the others, and they're joking in very serious and dangerous situations. I would've kicked them out.

HideousZippleback

[color=blue]I'm just here for Snotlout.
[/color]

AuroraBorealis
12 May 2014, 22:39
Hope_and_Heir
Yeah... at first he was just kinda a sidekick, but then the Deadly Shadow came and his story... now he's great! (Should I spoiler toggle this?)
In my opinion the Deadly Shadow was the only reason Fishlegs was even cool at all.

Hope_and_Heir

[/color]

HideousZippleback
24 May 2014, 17:58
AuroraBorealis
Hope_and_Heir
In my opinion the Deadly Shadow was the only reason Fishlegs was even cool at all.
I like him because of his friendship with Hiccup in book nine... That was a turning point for me.

HideousZippleback

[color=blue]I'm just here for Snotlout.
[/color]

Hope_and_Heir
24 May 2014, 18:34
HideousZippleback
AuroraBorealis
I like him because of his friendship with Hiccup in book nine... That was a turning point for me.
The part where he was like "NO! I will not turn my back on Hiccup!" Shame on you Cami. Shame.

Hope_and_Heir

[/color]

HideousZippleback
25 May 2014, 04:29
Hope_and_Heir
24 May 2014, 18:34
HideousZippleback
The part where he was like "NO! I will not turn my back on Hiccup!" Shame on you Cami. Shame.
Oh, you know… it was only a half turn :$

Ok ok I'm sorry I had to. X'D but yes shame cam :|

Toothless123
Night Fury

ggamer77
10 May 2014, 02:03
Hope_and_Heir
09 May 2014, 20:37
I'm more disliking the part of taking his dragon away from him. Telling Gustav he couldn't was understandable because of the attacks, but yes, he could've done it nicer.
I feel like Hiccup would never force someone else to get rid of their dragon. I just hated that part so much.
He's the son of the chief. Heck, he could have killed Hookfang if he'd wanted to, and nobody could have done anything. But, of course, he wouldn't...