Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Unlikable Hiccup moments in ROB/DOB
Topic Started: 30 May 2014, 19:16 (11678 Views)
Berserk Shieldmaiden
Superior Warriorness

N4raDov
30 May 2014, 16:09
KentuckyWildcat
30 May 2014, 04:01
The decision not to tell the truth about the dragons from the outset was pretty questionable. The lie may have been well-intentioned in trying to avoid a war, but was ultimately short-sighted in my opinion. Word of a society that had embraced dragons was bound to get out sooner or later, and once the Beserkers found out they'd been deceived, the relationship between the tribes would be seriously damaged at best and plunged into war at the worst. From both a moral and political standpoint, telling the truth would have been preferable. That was Stoick's idea though, so I can't blame it on Hiccup.

However, despite Berk deserving some blame for lying, I don't think that Hiccup treated Dagur poorly. He tried to be friendly given the circumstances, and Dagur proved to be a violence crazed man who wanted nothing more than to start a war. He killed his own father (or at least hired someone to do it) who he deemed to be too peaceful for goodness sake. He never cared for Hiccup and only considered him a "brother" when he briefly thought him to be a violent dragon killer much like himself. It's understandable to me that Hiccup wouldn't stick around to try and reason with someone who had already definitively proven himself to be unreasonable and was desperately trying to kill Toothless at that very moment.
You brought up some really good points. Makes me look at it a little differently now. But I still think it was possible to avoid Dagur becoming an enemy, and if he'd really wanted to, Hiccup could have done that. That's one of my problems with this being a kids show...sometimes it misses going even deeper and considering things like whether Hiccup could have made the Hooligans and the Berserkers allies for good, instead of just letting things fall apart over one (possibly) unneeded lie. I think they missed a great opportunity to showcase the type of chief Hiccup will be, because he just did what Stoick told him, and it led to war.
I guess in many ways it was more Stoick's fault. Funny thing is Stoick scolded Dagur for speaking disrespectfully of his father in Twinsanity. Yet Stoick wanted to hide all the dragons even before he found out Dagur was now chief. He obviously didn't have much respect for Oswald the Agreeable himself if he was willing to lie him.

You're right N4raDov. Telling Dagur the truth would've shown what kind of chief Hiccup would be.

Like everyone else I also hated the way Hiccup brushed off Astrid's concerns when it came to Heather. He was willing to believe a total stranger over his best friend *best human friend that is*.
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

MudkipStar
im just kinda here well occasionally

I think Dagur is absolutely hilarious and if Hiccup had made him an ally that would have been awesome because I think that might have made it so they could put him in more episodes.
hi im réka
im developing a mildly unhealthy obsession with obiwan kenobi (more like obiwan kenoBAE am i right)
my personal tumblr is ninja-stop
im also writing a fantasy/humor novel called RESET which i won nanowrimo 2015 with i have a writing tumblr for it if you wanna check that out
yeah thats it this probably isnt what should go in a signature but w/e
i have 2 pet buns

CityCreek

[color=blue]You're all Big Baby Boos. <3
[/color]

When Hiccup got all cocky over the Thawfest games. Also the Gustav part also.
(( *NEW* Skype - Whitecitycreek))
(Toothless gettin real tired of your sh*t Hiccup)

HideousZippleback

[color=blue]I'm just here for Snotlout.
[/color]

They all are unlikable.

mr.k.c.w.
Dragon fan in Hong Kong
[b](Above this title is a very dorky Hiccup.)
[/b]

Honestly, for me, there's none. Sure, once or twice, I think Hiccup is either a little unobservant or well, a little out of character but overall, it doesn't bother me that much.
Nothing is in this signature, except this sentence describing that there is nothing in this signature.

Seriously, I, [INSERT USERNAME HERE] have nothing to say here. Continue on with your viewing of not-so regularly scheduled posts.

[INSERT CALMING, SUITABLE FOR READING MUSIC]

Sorry to interrupt, I just wanna say....uh...what was I trying to say again? Never mind, continue reading.

DragonCrazy2
Dragon Egg

Well I think everyone goes through character issues in there own lives so by showing hiccups flaws he becomes a real growing up story character.

TheBlackFluffyThing
Terrible Terror

My top 3 most unlikable Hiccup moments are:

1. Hiccup sending Toothless away in "The Terrible Twos". Hiccup in the movie never acts arrogant or the "I know everything better than you"-way. He listens to people he cares about and Toothless is the person he cares about most.

2. Hiccup becoming arrogant in "Thawfest". Hiccup never was like that before and just because he wins a few games that doesn't make him arrogant. He already is the hero of the village and gets credit for that. Did he become arrogant after being praised for killing the Red Death? I don't think so. And now he suddenly is a "lousy winner" just because of Snotlout? To me this feels a little OoC.

3. Hiccup telling Gustav that he can't be a member of the Dragon Academy. My main reason for disliking this moment is the fact that Hiccup's reasoning is a bit weird. In short he tells Gustav that they can't teach him how to train dragons unless he knows how to train dragons. That's a paradox. He instead should've told him that they don't have time for mentoring because they have to prepare for a possible battle against Alvin and/or Dagur. That at least makes sense.

Night Fury: The unholy offspring of lightning and death itself.

HideousZippleback

[color=blue]I'm just here for Snotlout.
[/color]

TheBlackFluffyThing
14 Jun 2014, 15:56

1. Hiccup sending Toothless away in "The Terrible Twos". Hiccup in the movie never acts arrogant or the "I know everything better than you"-way. He listens to people he cares about and Toothless is the person he cares about most.

2. Hiccup becoming arrogant in "Thawfest". Hiccup never was like that before and just because he wins a few games that doesn't make him arrogant. He already is the hero of the village and gets credit for that. Did he become arrogant after being praised for killing the Red Death? I don't think so. And now he suddenly is a "lousy winner" just because of Snotlout? To me this feels a little OoC.

3. Hiccup telling Gustav that he can't be a member of the Dragon Academy. My main reason for disliking this moment is the fact that Hiccup's reasoning is a bit weird. In short he tells Gustav that they can't teach him how to train dragons unless he knows how to train dragons. That's a paradox. He instead should've told him that they don't have time for mentoring because they have to prepare for a possible battle against Alvin and/or Dagur. That at least makes sense.
Hiccup's out of character through pretty much every episode.

TheBlackFluffyThing
Terrible Terror

HideousZippleback
14 Jun 2014, 15:58
TheBlackFluffyThing
14 Jun 2014, 15:56

Hiccup's out of character through pretty much every episode.
Good point.

Night Fury: The unholy offspring of lightning and death itself.

Rocky Rose
Deadly Nadder

mr.k.c.w.
12 Jun 2014, 14:55
Honestly, for me, there's none. Sure, once or twice, I think Hiccup is either a little unobservant or well, a little out of character but overall, it doesn't bother me that much.
DragonCrazy2
12 Jun 2014, 15:12
Well I think everyone goes through character issues in there own lives so by showing hiccups flaws he becomes a real growing up story character.
I respect the other two people who posted here before I responded, but.. what you two wrote is pretty much how I feel ;)
"I saw him, and I saw myself."- Hiccup
"With Vikings on the backs of dragons, the world just got a whole lot bigger."

Addicted to DRAGONS :D

My Devianart
My Tumblr (I'm on there ALOT) Nightfury326