Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Unlikable Hiccup moments in ROB/DOB
Topic Started: 08 May 2014, 23:16 (11497 Views)
Berserk Shieldmaiden
Superior Warriorness

Okay this thread is based on a conversation that started in the Favorite ROB/DOB quotes thread. I decided to make a separate thread so that one doesn't get way too off topic.

Who else thinks Hiccup was a bit of a jerk at times in the series? Like locking Hookfang up in Cast Out or saying who and who cant be a dragon rider in the Gustav episode. He just seems really bossy sometimes.
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

Toothless
the unholy offspring of lightning and death itself

I didn't like when hiccup forgot about astrid in heather report.
and never listened to her

KentuckyWildcat
Raw Vikingness

The episodes you mention weren't done particularly well in that aspect, but I at least understand what the writers were trying to do. I'd imagine that learning the line between strong, assertive leadership and being a jerk would be tough to learn for a young future chief.

The two incidents that really bothered me were The Terrible Twos and Heather Report Part I. Toothless and Astrid should be the ones he trusts the most, so it was really head-scratching that he treated them the way he did in those episodes. In my opinion, what he said to Astrid was particularly bad. Without actually using the word, he called her a liar to her face, and said he trusted another girl more despite just having met her. From a story continuity standpoint, it's disappointing to me that there weren't serious repercussions from that argument. That's the kind of thing that can completely destroy a relationship romantic or otherwise.
Come death. Come suffering. I will not live in fear. In this fleeting life where time escapes us, the path of least resistance is a slow quiet death. I'd rather burn out than fade away.

Hope_and_Heir

[color=#B40431]Winner of Shnuckle's Oneshot Fanfiction Contest 2014
[/color]

Totally forgot about terrible twos... I hated that moment where a Toothless was put into the cove against his will. Ugh. This is sad... There were a lot of hiccup moments I didn't like. They kinda just messed up the character traits that made him such a great character in the movie. *sigh* at least there were some good moments...
'There Were Dragons When I Was A Boy…'

Asvald Veleif
Dragon Animator

I honestly can't think of a moment which i didn't enjoy, trying to think back hmm ^o)

Toothless Gif made by me.

Support my How to Train Your Dragon animations by subscribing to my youtube channel through the link below!

Click here for my dragon animations!

AuroraBorealis
Monstrous Nightmare

I also hated that episode where Hiccup didn't allow Gustav to ride a dragon. He was like, "You have to have expereince" You are the Dragon Training Academy! YOU TEACH PEOPLE TO TRAIN DRAGONS. And why does Hiccup make Gustav put his dragon back? There are two reasons: 1) Hiccup was being a jerk. 2) Hiccup.... IS AN EVIL OVERLORD! ...Your pick! ^_^
What should I write on my signature? Hmm...
I am a Httyd, Gravity Falls and Portal (One and two) fan.
I'm also a bookworm and an introvert.
That was pretty random, but that's me summed up in two sentences.

Hope_and_Heir

[/color]

AuroraBorealis
09 May 2014, 13:24
I also hated that episode where Hiccup didn't allow Gustav to ride a dragon. He was like, "You have to have expereince" You are the Dragon Training Academy! YOU TEACH PEOPLE TO TRAIN DRAGONS. And why does Hiccup make Gustav put his dragon back? There are two reasons: 1) Hiccup was being a jerk. 2) Hiccup.... IS AN EVIL OVERLORD! ...Your pick! ^_^
I wish they'd train a few younger students...

KentuckyWildcat
Raw Vikingness

Maybe I'm biased because I never liked Gustav very much, but I can't be too hard on Hiccup (and all the other teens for that matter) over the way he acted in The Flight Stuff. The Outcasts/Berserkers and/or Screaming Death could have attacked at any moment, so making preparations to defend Berk should have taken priority over teaching young children the basics of dragons at that point. Maybe he could have been a little nicer in the way he made that point, but I don't really think his general decision was wrong.
Come death. Come suffering. I will not live in fear. In this fleeting life where time escapes us, the path of least resistance is a slow quiet death. I'd rather burn out than fade away.

Hope_and_Heir

[/color]

I'm more disliking the part of taking his dragon away from him. Telling Gustav he couldn't was understandable because of the attacks, but yes, he could've done it nicer.

ggamer77
Hatchling

Hope_and_Heir
09 May 2014, 20:37
I'm more disliking the part of taking his dragon away from him. Telling Gustav he couldn't was understandable because of the attacks, but yes, he could've done it nicer.
I feel like Hiccup would never force someone else to get rid of their dragon. I just hated that part so much.
irc://irc.caffie.net/HTTYD
My YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/ggamer77