Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Continuity mistakes
Topic Started: 21 Jun 2014, 05:22 (11623 Views)
ViridianVenus
Dragon Egg

Ever notice anything in the show that contradicts movie continuity? Talk about it here!

The movie has Toothless taking down the red death in 10 shots. The tv show seems to think his shot limit is 6. Not to get too spoilery but there's a scene in httyd2 where Toothless used, i believe, 12 shots to do a thing. So what is his actual shot limit? And why didn't the show runners do their homework on such a major character?
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

Toothless123
Night Fury

Maybe, because it's the show, apparently it doesn't matter so much, because not a lot of people would pay attention to things like that. Of course there's not anything wrong with that, it shows that you're a dedicated fan. ^_^

BerserkDragon
antisocial british nerd with a youtube channel

I have no idea... I sometimes ask myself that question.

Anyone notice that in the first film Changewings are drawn in the book of dragons but in the series there are no drawings of them?
Me? An otaku? Pfff.

Yes I do like dragons if you're wondering. Doesn't seem like it from my profile pic n signature, I know, but I do.

puxlit
Member Avatar
Better in Silhouette Form

ViridianVenus
21 Jun 2014, 09:22
[...] So what is his actual shot limit? [...]
Dragonpedia would suggest it's six. As for the continuity errors, I'd chalk it up to the Rule of Cool. (As far as I can tell, we're never told what are the cooling off periods for these shot limits, so you could probably contrive that into some sort of in-universe explanation.)

Toothless123
Night Fury

puxlit
21 Jun 2014, 09:33
ViridianVenus
21 Jun 2014, 09:22
[...] So what is his actual shot limit? [...]
(As far as I can tell, we're never told what the cooling off period for these shot limits are, so you could probably contrive that into some sort of in-universe explanation.)
If you went back and watched the film again, to the point where Toothless fired those 12 shots, when he fired the sixth shot, you could count how many seconds it took for him to fire the seventh shot, and that would be the "cooling off period". It sounds a bit confusing. :P

Crest1347
Dragon Egg

The 'shot limit' could also be number of shots sans regeneration. After all, it is probably not like Toothless just produces huge amounts of the gas in a short burst. So, in the Red Death scene, Toothless's fancy flying gave him time enough to regenerate. And in the spam attack in the clouds, I don't think he exceeded six.

Also, if memory serves, when the series invokes the six shot rule it was usually after a short burst of six attacks.

Neilandio
Dragon trainer

In Breakneck Bog Hiccup says something about strating to forget his mothers face, but in HTTYD 2 we learn he never met her to begin with.
My dragon den:

Rocky Rose
Deadly Nadder

Neilandio
21 Jun 2014, 18:15
In Breakneck Bog Hiccup says something about strating to forget his mothers face, but in HTTYD 2 we learn he never met her to begin with.
Unless he has a super good memory that goes back to being a few months old.. (doubtful) lol
"I saw him, and I saw myself."- Hiccup
"With Vikings on the backs of dragons, the world just got a whole lot bigger."

Addicted to DRAGONS :D

My Devianart
My Tumblr (I'm on there ALOT) Nightfury326

Dragon Girl
Gronckle

I don't know how explain his shot limits in the battle with the Red Death but in the second movie his shots increased because of becoming you know what.

Tessem7
Dragon Trainer

As far as the shot limits, it seems like the movies might have done away with them. It was mentioned once or twice in the first film, but it wasn't even brought up in the second film. If there is still such a thing as shot limits, I would imagine the cool down time would be fairly short. Imagine a heavy machine guy. You can't constantly fire it because it will overheat. You have to fire in bursts. Maybe dragons operate in the same way. Their "shot limit" is just how many shots in a burst they can generally do.
"Thank you for summing that up."