Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
  • Pages:
Your opinion on Heather?
Topic Started: 26 Jul 2014, 21:48 (4302 Views)
BirdyTheBrave
I like big books and I cannot lie.

I liked the IDEA of Heather, if you know what I mean. To throw a little drama into the gang and their everyday adventures. However, I just didn't ever really well, LIKE Heather. She just wasn't a character that stood out for me. But I loved the two episodes she was in. I'm getting confused now....
:unsure:
Update guys: It's party time with Joe.
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

BerserkDragon
antisocial british nerd with a youtube channel

Lastandir
25 Jul 2014, 11:46
Norskie
25 Jul 2014, 03:25
Lastandir
24 Jul 2014, 13:24
How have I not heard of Scandinavian Scotland before? And I call myself a History Major

Okay, I will take out the ridiculous. More evidence! Haha. Thanks for sharing that link.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norse_acti ... tish_Isles
Now i'm thinking where and when should be Berk in Viking history... :)
I'm going with the fact that she's Celtic or at least half Celtic because my brother pointed out a while ago that nearly all Viking girls had blond hair, like Astrid and Ruffnut, and if Heather was a Viking it would be pretty unrealistic. Some Viking girls had brown hair but it was unlikely for one to have black hair like Heather.
Me? An otaku? Pfff.

Yes I do like dragons if you're wondering. Doesn't seem like it from my profile pic n signature, I know, but I do.

RealHousewifeofBerk
"You don't know this yet, but people need you."
<3

I agree that her name wasn't very imaginative and that they should have given her a name more like the other characters. I do ship Hiccstrid, and I understand that eventually someone else would come along and one of them would get jealous, but I still don't really like her. I guess it's that, simply because she's a girl, she's thrown in with a sort of immediate implication of romance, whereas had she been male I don't think that would have been very likely. It's just like, "duh, love triangle plot device! hur, durr." I think her sob story was a little too easy, especially when it turns out to be true. And then how she's just forgiven for endangering a whole village to save two people. I would have preferred it if she stayed a villain, even a sympathetic one. Other than that, her personality and voice really got on my nerves.
My other fandoms summed up in gifs:

"You have the heart of a Hiro and the soul of a Tadashi."

omerb10
Member Avatar
Dragon Egg

thenightandthefury
12 Jul 2014, 04:54
In the movie I think she was very lightly referenced, during Hiccup and his mothers bonding scene. Right when the music played, right around the time he was spreading out his map and his mother drew it in the snow, he said something along the lines of "Then there was the time I met a girl on dragon island."

Granted, it was hard to hear it through the music, he said it so softly, but it was something I picked up on right away.

I feel like this had to be Heather. Or some other girl.. no one else seems to have noticed this, though.
Sorry to said it to you, but no. Hiccup said: "I found this archipelago"
(archipelago in Google = sometimes called an island group or island chain, is a chain, cluster or collection of islands. )

funkyjunkie95
Kangaroo Jack

I didnt mind Heather at all, I thought she brought a good dramatic element to the show. I do think they couldve gone with a better name, but oh well :/
as far as the hiccstrid thing goes, i hardly think she "got in the way" if anything Astrid was the one that got in the way of hiccstrid. Jealousy and trust issues are no bueno, even if she was right in the end. But then again, both she and Hiccup are at fault with the lack of trust. Hiccup more-so trusting the wrong person.
That being said, im hoping we see her again in the next two seasons. Id love to see her aged up like the rest of the gang!!!

HideousZippleback

[color=blue]I'm just here for Snotlout.
[/color]

Could care less. She isn't a very interacting chrome in my opinion and all she's does is be untrustworthy.

KentuckyWildcat
Raw Vikingness

The concept for Heather is solid. Introducing a new face to throw the existing characters out of their routine theoretically opens up all kinds of possibilities. I don't even mind an rival for Astrid in theory. The teenage years aren't known for producing stable relationships, and since it's been officially confirmed that Ruff is the only other girl in the same age bracket, it's not like Hiccup has a very tough choice in the first place. A new, desirable girl to test Hiccup's true devotion to Astrid could have produced a legitimately interesting storyline.

However, the actual execution of all those concepts was pretty poor in my opinion. First of all, things move way too quickly when Heather first arrives. Unless Hiccup is a complete moron (which he's not supposed to be), there's no way that he'd place her word above Astrid's within 1-2 days of knowing her. Especially when the matter being discussed was something as serious as plotting with the Outcasts. While I'm on this subject, it's not believable at all that beyond an angry comment or two in the second part of this episode, Astrid doesn't respond at all to Hiccup flat out calling her a liar. That definitely should have been more damaging to their relationship.

Moving on with Heather in particular, I didn't like her character's resolution either. Once it was revealed that Alvin really was holding her parents hostage, all was forgiven far too easily for my taste. Sure, her deceptive actions on Berk become more understandable in that moment, but the way the gang instantly treated her like a good friend didn't feel natural. She had done nothing but lie to them (and flirt with all the guys) to achieve her own purposes up to that point. I can understand forgiving her, but actually becoming friends should have taken much longer, especially with Astrid for whom she had displayed some contempt beyond what was necessary to accomplish her initial mission.

Overall, I feel Heather is a missed opportunity.
Come death. Come suffering. I will not live in fear. In this fleeting life where time escapes us, the path of least resistance is a slow quiet death. I'd rather burn out than fade away.

ArabianGoddes
ArabianGoddess

Eh, she's okay. I like her mischief and that she is different.

Hiccup was being dumb, and I hate how people think Astrid was the dumb one. Hiccup was blinded because here's an innocent girl who was in a ship wreck while her island is under siege. How could she be working for the outcasts? But, I'd like to see her again. I didn't think she got in the way of Hiccstrid. Hiccup has had a crush on Astrid since the first minute the first film played, probably since they were little kids...

I doubt Heather could completly destroy their relationship. I do hope to see her in the upcoming new seasons, but if not, I won't be so mad about it. It would be great to see her a little grown up and whatnot, I'd like to learn more about her character too. :P