Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
  • Pages:
Season 1 vs Season 2
Topic Started: 25 Oct 2014, 18:22 (2493 Views)
omerb10
Member Avatar
Dragon Egg

Well I have just finished the 2nd season and I think its better than the first. I liked the 1st season too ( a lot) but the 2nd was better, Especially the twins - they scenes was hilarious. And also Fishlegs got much more time to show his skills.
I think that the only disadvantage was Gustav. I hate him, his is stock in the middle of the gang with no neccessary.
What does you think?
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

hcsp1
My only master is the free wind

I agree. I liked the second season more as well.
I feel like I can pick favorite episodes from the second season more easily than season 1. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate season 1, just think 2 is better.

My reasons being: There is less of Mildaw in the second season, I hate that old ****. The Screaming Death was awesome in my opinion. The character interactions were much better in this season I think. Plots were more interesting.

NFDan96
The unholy offspring of lightning and death itself

I liked the 2nd season better than the 1st with one reason being that when Dagur took over the Outcasts half-way through the season. The other reason is because the Screaming Death was really cool 8) .
<----------- This should never fail to make you smile. :)

Berserk Shieldmaiden
Superior Warriorness

I like season 2 better. There was a lot more action and of course Dagur became a main character.

omerb10
25 Oct 2014, 22:22
I think that the only disadvantage was Gustav. I hate him, his is stock in the middle of the gang with no neccessary.
I agree with you on Gustav. Something about that kid really irked me.

gmarvin112
Member Avatar
Hatchling

Season 2 was much better. Can't wait for season 3.

I only have 3 complaints about the TV series in general:

1. Toothless is pretty much a prop with no personality.

2. Fishlegs has too much screentime

3. The one-sided Snotstrid is getting really old really quick.

thenightandthefury
Gronckle

gmarvin112
28 Oct 2014, 04:39
Season 2 was much better. Can't wait for season 3.

I only have 3 complaints about the TV series in general:

1. Toothless is pretty much a prop with no personality.

2. Fishlegs has too much screentime

3. The one-sided Snotstrid is getting really old really quick.
I have to disagree on a couple of these. One, Snotstrid is annoying but its a gimic that Snotlout of course had a major crush on Astrid, and for the fans that get a kick out of it (however few they may be) then it is nice to kind of brush up on that; it also makes it feel more familiar to the movie, cuz it would be weird if Snotlout suddenly stopped crushing on her. I hope in season 3 and 4 we get to see how Snotlouts heart inevitably gets broken and possibly Hiccup standing up for Astrid, how Snotlout and Fishlegs turn to liking Ruffnut, etc.

On Fishlegs getting too much screen time, I understand that may be annoying for older kids, or young adults like me, but for kids that don't always understand what is going on Fishlegs comentary is a necassary icebreaker to make sure young kids know exactly what is happening and don't feel left out. After all it is aimed at 3rd graders and up (saw that in an interview; they say kids younger then 3rd grade probably couldn't handle the 2nd movie, but by 3rd grade they should have the necassary world view of life to understand it I guess, or in other words ages 9 or so and up), so that is probably why Fishlegs has so much time on the screen.

As for Toothless being a prop with no personality, I must strongly disagree. I can recall several episodes where Toothless was the main focus. One is a two parter episode, with the whispering death, another is with Torch being found, another where Toothless showed personality is when Hiccup was grounded and couldn't fly at sunset, so Toothless got upset and tail smacked him and put up a fuss. Yet another I can recall is when lightning strikes, when the lightning was striking Toothless' tail and he was deemed a curse on the village, and lets not forget the episode where Toothless eats an eel.

These are just a few I can think of where Toothless had lots of personality, especially for a TV show, and got plenty of screen time. If you want we can kindly debate this, as I am curious to hear your point of view on this. :D

Also there is so much they had to get done in the series, so they could never focus every episode around everyone. Different episodes centered around different characters and scenarios. I think the first season was largely about the dragon culture and way of life being intergrated with viking life, the challenges and the costs of living with dragons. Like them scaring the cattle so bad they wouldn't give milk, stomping the crops, fighting each other and setting fires while doing so, and in the first series they needed a few elements:

Those that didn't approve of the change (mildew and the villagers at times), comedic relief (twins, Gobber and Snotstrid), parental element (Gobber/Stoick), sarcasm element (astrid), dictionary character/narrator (fishlegs), and the hero element (Hiccup/Toothless).

In the second one it was much the same. While Mildew was the villian in the first season in the second season the stakes were higher.

Those that didn't approve of change turned to those who had grudges and wanted to kill dragons (Dagur), as well as those who sought to kill vikings by training dragons (Alvin and his crew), as well as the same elements; twins for comedic relief, a little more Hiccstrid to show their growing relationship (note the scene when he comes back and Astrid is waiting for him, the few kisses we got), the change in Snotlout realizing that being with Astrid may not be all he thought it to be (when she suddenly went clingy and fake affectionate on him; face it every guys nightmare), parental element (Stoick) the hero element was Hiccup/Toothless again, this time Astrid was both sarcasm and a support for Hiccup and of course Fishlegs being the dictionary/narrator for kids.

All this combined created a great series, some episodes we liked some we didn't like but I think we can all agree it was a great two seasons thus far.

dragons_ind
My avatar just got 20% Cooler

Season 2 is better. The intense getting higher, the animation improved, and better story.
Season 2 far more hilarious than the first, especially Free Scauldy. No wonder it became my favourite episode, yet.
I wonder, if now they're using PrEmo for every media, will they use hair and fur instead texture?
Ninety-nine buckets of fireworms on the wall, ninety-nine buckets of worms! Take one down, pass it around, you got ninety-eight buckets of fireworms on the wall....................... Forty-one buckets of fireworms on the wall, forty-one buckets of worms! Take one down, pass it around, you got forty buckets of fireworms on the wall..........- one bucket of worms! Take one down, pass it around, you got zero buckets of fireworms on the waaaaaaaaaallllllllllllll.

omerb10
Member Avatar
Dragon Egg

Quote:

I hope in season 3 and 4 we get to see how Snotlouts heart inevitably gets broken and possibly Hiccup standing up for Astrid, how Snotlout and Fishlegs turn to liking Ruffnut, etc.
me too. The next season we have to see change between Hiccup-Astrid-Snotlout, also I have to say that I'm gonna miss the Astrid-Snotlout scenes, they were very funny.
Quote:

On Fishlegs getting too much screen time, I understand that may be annoying for older kids,
Sorry, love Fishlegs. Every gang has this personality....
Quote:

As for Toothless being a prop with no personality, I must strongly disagree.

Also there is so much they had to get done in the series, so they could never focus every episode around everyone. Different episodes centered around different characters and scenarios. I think the first season was largely about the dragon culture and way of life being intergrated with viking life, the challenges and the costs of living with dragons. Like them scaring the cattle so bad they wouldn't give milk, stomping the crops, fighting each other and setting fires while doing so, and in the first series they needed a few elements:

Those that didn't approve of the change (mildew and the villagers at times), comedic relief (twins, Gobber and Snotstrid), parental element (Gobber/Stoick), sarcasm element (astrid), dictionary character/narrator (fishlegs), and the hero element (Hiccup/Toothless).

In the second one it was much the same. While Mildew was the villian in the first season in the second season the stakes were higher.

Those that didn't approve of change turned to those who had grudges and wanted to kill dragons (Dagur), as well as those who sought to kill vikings by training dragons (Alvin and his crew), as well as the same elements; twins for comedic relief, a little more Hiccstrid to show their growing relationship (note the scene when he comes back and Astrid is waiting for him, the few kisses we got), the change in Snotlout realizing that being with Astrid may not be all he thought it to be (when she suddenly went clingy and fake affectionate on him; face it every guys nightmare), parental element (Stoick) the hero element was Hiccup/Toothless again, this time Astrid was both sarcasm and a support for Hiccup and of course Fishlegs being the dictionary/narrator for kids.

All this combined created a great series, some episodes we liked some we didn't like but I think we can all agree it was a great two seasons thus far.
You are absolutely right.
Plus I think that in the next season they have to make the gang closer. Sometimes it looks like they are separate and not a close gruop. I think they have to hang out more as a group (of course that it won't be on Hiccstrid time together), Are you agree?

Demonwolf002
Lone Dragon

thenightandthefury
28 Oct 2014, 20:11
As for Toothless being a prop with no personality, I must strongly disagree. I can recall several episodes where Toothless was the main focus. One is a two parter episode, with the whispering death, another is with Torch being found, another where Toothless showed personality is when Hiccup was grounded and couldn't fly at sunset, so Toothless got upset and tail smacked him and put up a fuss. Yet another I can recall is when lightning strikes, when the lightning was striking Toothless' tail and he was deemed a curse on the village, and lets not forget the episode where Toothless eats an eel.

These are just a few I can think of where Toothless had lots of personality, especially for a TV show, and got plenty of screen time. If you want we can kindly debate this, as I am curious to hear your point of view on this. :D
I've seen something similar to this pop up before and it generally centers around people thinking that during the series people thought Toothless and the rest of the dragons(mostly Toothless) were relegated to this pet like status, and weren't shown the same way they were shown in the first movie. My personal opinion on this is I agree and somewhat disagree. I personally feel like their were a few episodes the dragons especially Toothless were given a personality and acted like they were more than just pets. Possibly only Toothless got any real major sense of this but I did feel like Hookfang had a definite sense of self to some degree as well. As somewhat of an example of this I think episode 8 form riders of berk has a little bit of the sense that the dragons are more just background. Now granted this episode isn't about them in the first place nor do I think the show should always and only be about the dragons. But for a show and movie that have talked about how the dragons are all different with different personalities and quirks you do have to wonder why they weren't given more of a personality then they were during the show at times. Again granted at that point in time Toothless was the only one we knew anything about when it came to his mannerisms and personality even if it was only small, and the movie really only focused on him so they could do a lot more. Either way I get the sentiment not sure I entirely agree with it though but I do get it, and it is something I feel was somewhat better during the second season than the first. It's also something I'm expecting/hoping they will more than likely end up doing even better in the third as well.
thenightandthefury

I think the first season was largely about the dragon culture and way of life being intergrated with viking life, the challenges and the costs of living with dragons. Like them scaring the cattle so bad they wouldn't give milk, stomping the crops, fighting each other and setting fires while doing so
This is something I've kind of talked about in the past, and why I personally thought the first season from a story/over arching theme perspective was a bit better in this regard. Because as you said it the overarching theme that tied the majority of the season together and was touched on in a few of the episode specifically in Riders was about: one learning to live with them, two learning more about them, and finally acceptance of the dragons in to the vikings lives and culture. Episodes that I think were very clear indicators of the vikings changing their culture or lifestyle to better adapt to the dragons were episodes 1, 2, and 3 for starters also episodes 7, 9, 12, 13, and 19 being the end of that arc when they throw the celebration for Bork the bold. Then we get to the second season and it just felt like they decided to throw the idea of having and sticking to an over arching them out the window. Definitely their were some story elements that were carried through out which I do feel the first season didn't have as much of, and which I feel helped to make the second season better. There wasn't any theme to them subtle or easily identifiable their's just not one there, and that to me at least was a little bit of a let down.

Overall my personal opinion is kinda halved on both seasons. I feel like they both had their strengths and weaknesses. Season 2 I feel was most certainly better animation quality wise, and had more development on the characters than the first did. As I said I feel that the first had the better over arching theme, but I feel that the second carried it's story elements through out it's run time better than the first. Overall though I feel they were both solid seasons in their own rights, and I enjoyed and loved them both for the same and different reasons. ^_^
See you in the skies Dragon Rider!

The Dragon Root:Thing what I wrote.

Is Toothless Evil? :Me possibly being crazy, but fun.

The BerkCast The HTTYD podcast, you should listen.

BirdyTheBrave
I like big books and I cannot lie.

HOW LONG DO YOU GUYS SPEND TYPING REPLIES?

S2 was better than S1 in my opinion, having taken into account what you all have said, but I liked S1 as well.

That's all, folks.
Update guys: It's party time with Joe.