Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
New villains in RTTE
Topic Started: 21 Apr 2015, 10:41 (1244 Views)
Berserk Shieldmaiden
Superior Warriorness

So what's everyone's theories on the new villains?

We've been told Alfred Molina will be voicing a pretty cool bad guy and that we'll met a nasty team of brothers as well.

I came up with a theory that one of the villain's could be an Outcast who helps Dagur escape from prison and teams up him to destroy the dragon riders and get the Dragon's Eye.
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

Neilandio
Dragon trainer

I just hope we don't get another Mildew.
My dragon den:

hictooth
Archivist of Berk

I actually thought that Mildew was a good villain (and by that I mean he was good as a villain, not that he was a villain that turned good, although I suppose he was as well!)

I liked the way his character slowly progressed over the series, rather than not getting anywhere (like Snotlout in my opinion. Every episode he was annoying, then became better, but in the next episode he was back to annoying. It really annoyed me.)

Although, I hope we do get some new interesting villains, with new motives and methods.

hictooth
Astrid - "Hictooth"?
Hiccup - Yeah, it's not my snappiest comeback.

Night fury fire

[b]
[color=blue]We're fangirls! It's an occupational hazard...
[/color]
[/b]

Another villian like Dagur would be cool, but someone who's sneaky and brings lots of plot twists :P.

I agree about not wanting another Mildew though. He mostly just got on my nerves more than anything. I mean, villians like Drago have a reason for why there "evil", but Mildew was just being a selfish idiot most of the time. It was almost as if he wanted to go to war again >:(
^_^ ;) :D :$ :P 8) :'( :( ^) :O :blink: >:( <3 <- me seeing httyd 2

hictooth
Archivist of Berk

I think there is/was a need for a selfish idiot or two. In my opinion, the villagers of Berk are too similar at the moment, and most lack distinct personalities.

Of course, I understand that they can't go and detail all of the villagers of Berk in a TV series, it would be incredibly dull. That is why I feel Mildew was a welcome addition to the cast. Plus, I just quite like his character.

hictooth
Astrid - "Hictooth"?
Hiccup - Yeah, it's not my snappiest comeback.

Demonwolf002
Lone Dragon

hictooth
21 Apr 2015, 20:54
I actually thought that Mildew was a good villain (and by that I mean he was good as a villain, not that he was a villain that turned good, although I suppose he was as well!)

I liked the way his character slowly progressed over the series, rather than not getting anywhere (like Snotlout in my opinion. Every episode he was annoying, then became better, but in the next episode he was back to annoying. It really annoyed me.)

Although, I hope we do get some new interesting villains, with new motives and methods.
hictooth
Agreed with this!

But on topic I would like the villains to have more development than what Alvin did the first season. I would also be interested in seeing the villains win a little more often than what they did the first two seasons. Wouldn't mind seeing Dagur back he was the best villain from those seasons character and personality wise. Otherwise I'm fine with new villains so long as they show themselves to be somewhat more confident as we move up this chain of command to Drago. (since that is something we heard the guys in charge talk about as well) And are their own character as a villain it's one of the main reasons people liked Dagur so much (for good reason at that) he was so much different than any villain we had prior to him.
hictooth
21 Apr 2015, 21:45
I think there is/was a need for a selfish idiot or two. In my opinion, the villagers of Berk are too similar at the moment, and most lack distinct personalities.

Of course, I understand that they can't go and detail all of the villagers of Berk in a TV series, it would be incredibly dull. That is why I feel Mildew was a welcome addition to the cast. Plus, I just quite like his character.
hictooth
http://forums.berksgrapevine.com/topic/10194252/2/#new
Relevant link to this one it's an old topic and mostly my thoughts but it's why I think the character was such a good villain possibly even better then Alvin, and as a character served his purpose very well. Still think it sucks that they literally dropped him after the first season. Cause I felt there was a lot of use he could have had with all the character development they had given him but oh well.
See you in the skies Dragon Rider!

The Dragon Root:Thing what I wrote.

Is Toothless Evil? :Me possibly being crazy, but fun.

The BerkCast The HTTYD podcast, you should listen.

Cartoon Freak
Deadly Nadder

Quote:

But on topic I would like the villains to have more development than what Alvin did the first season. I would also be interested in seeing the villains win a little more often than what they did the first two seasons. Wouldn't mind seeing Dagur back he was the best villain from those seasons character and personality wise. Otherwise I'm fine with new villains so long as they show themselves to be somewhat more confident as we move up this chain of command to Drago. (since that is something we heard the guys in charge talk about as well) And are their own character as a villain it's one of the main reasons people liked Dagur so much (for good reason at that) he was so much different than any villain we had prior to him.
Honestly, from what I've read, it doesn't seem to me that the villains in this season will have any link to Drago as such. If nothing else, it wouldn't make a great deal of sense, given that Hiccup clearly has no idea whatsoever who Drago is at the start of the second film. Rather, it seems to me that they're going for the Sorting Algorithm of Evil (to use the TV Tropes term), i.e. that the villains become more dangerous as the franchise goes on.

When you think about it, they've basically gone down that path so far, at least when it comes to human villains. So far, the order goes like this:

1. Mildew: Basically, just a troublemaker out to force the dragons away from Berk, but otherwise cause no particular harm to them or to Berk. That is, of course, until he falls in league with...

2. Alvin: A greater threat, since he is out to conquer Berk, but really lacks the resources to actually go on the offensive. Instead, he requires large amounts of subterfuge to merely hold his own. Bringing Mildew into his ranks show that Alvin is the greater threat.

3. Dagur: after being presented as something of a joke in season one, he comes back with a vengeance in season two, directly usurping Alvin and adding his own formidable forces to the ranks of the Outcasts. He goes on the offensive more frequently, and almost gets the better of our heroes on multiple occasions. He also has a personal grudge against Hiccup and Toothless, adding to the threat value. However, he doesn't actually accomplish much against our heroes.

4. Any major villains in upcoming seasons. It would be safe to assume that they do something to show that they are a bigger threat than Dagur. Most likely, they'll defeat him in some way as he did to Alvin. Whether or not this will lead to Dagur siding with our heroes remains to be seen. It is also possible that they will actually accomplish something to hurt our heroes. Destroying the Dragon's Eye would be an obvious victory, possibly in the season finale, but there are some non-film good guys they could kill to show their threat value as well. My sadistic side is kind of hoping they kill Thornado.

5. Drago: He easily has the most powerful resources of any villain seen so far (and will almost certainly have greater resources than any show villain, if only because of budget) and has the greatest accomplishment of any villain so far, being the cause of Stoick's death.

So yeah, I don't think the villains in Race to the Edge will have a connection to Drago as such, but rather be the next step towards his level in the Sorting Algorithm of Evil.
Number of times I've watched the trailer: 18.

My pet peeve: people who refer to complete strangers by their first name. The correct ways to refer to a "John Smith" whom you have never met are Smith, Mr Smith, or John Smith. Not "John". He's not your buddy.

Demonwolf002
Lone Dragon

Cartoon Freak
22 Apr 2015, 11:36
Quote:

Honestly, from what I've read, it doesn't seem to me that the villains in this season will have any link to Drago as such. If nothing else, it wouldn't make a great deal of sense, given that Hiccup clearly has no idea whatsoever who Drago is at the start of the second film. Rather, it seems to me that they're going for the Sorting Algorithm of Evil (to use the TV Tropes term), i.e. that the villains become more dangerous as the franchise goes on.
Well I was kind of going off the recently posted interview on the grapevine. Specifically where the producers were talking about how the villains were essentially building blocks up to Drago. As well in the same interview they also talked about having these subtle calls to the movie. There example was Hiccup saying a remark about flying. Also there was the rumor floating around that one of the new villains was going to possibly be a dragon trapper as well. These were all things that lead me down that line of thinking, but that's more my fault though for making assumptions with little to go on. So granted this was all an assumption on my part so it makes sense that I would/could be wrong, and as far as context goes your idea makes more sense.

Although saying all of that I still think it's plausible to have one of the more powerful(?) villains have those links to Drago, and I think that subtlety they talked about in the interview would work for that purpose. There's also the idea of having the villain have an aside with us as an audience. There are a few ways that I think they could do it with out undercutting the movie in any way.
See you in the skies Dragon Rider!

The Dragon Root:Thing what I wrote.

Is Toothless Evil? :Me possibly being crazy, but fun.

The BerkCast The HTTYD podcast, you should listen.

Cult of Mildew
Imus ubi nemo it, facimus id quod nemo facit.

hictooth
21 Apr 2015, 20:54

hictooth
Preach it, Brother!
Imus ubi nemo it, facimus id quod nemo facit.

Berserk Shieldmaiden
Superior Warriorness

I wonder if Dagur will team up with any of the new villains.