Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Hypocritical?
Topic Started: 09 Jul 2015, 22:08 (1530 Views)
Ryder
Night Fury

Is anyone else slightly annoyed by the plot of Gone Gustav Gone? Before Hiccup met Toothless, what was he doing? He was trying to fit in! He was trying to be like the other vikings! Hiccup was apparently the "Gustav" of his time, because, as his father said, "Every time you step outside, disaster follows!" The villagers would yell at him, "Get back inside!" Heck, he even burned down a good portion of the village when one of the large torches fell after he was chased by the Nightmare in the opening scene! I was disappointed that Hiccup forgot what it was like to be in Gustav's position. I thought he would may have a talk to Gustav and say, "Just be yourself... you don't have to prove you are "good enough". Any thoughts on this observation?
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

Pakba
Member Avatar
Terrible Terror

Omg yes!

VeloYourSwaggyDragon
I am... swaggy

This observation is very important. Now I want Gustav to come back again in hopes this can be built upon, Hiccup can be a great teacher for him, but he just isn't willing like he normally is to give Gustav a chance. It's funny, Hiccup is somebody who would risk his life to get people who disagree with his views to agree and amend their lives to something in his vision, but he won't even try to mentor someone who wants to be as great as he is, even if that said someone is a tad young and annoying. :/

Toothless123
Night Fury

VeloYourSwaggyDragon
10 Jul 2015, 05:05
This observation is very important. Now I want Gustav to come back again in hopes this can be built upon, Hiccup can be a great teacher for him, but he just isn't willing like he normally is to give Gustav a chance. It's funny, Hiccup is somebody who would risk his life to get people who disagree with his views to agree and amend their lives to something in his vision, but he won't even try to mentor someone who wants to be as great as he is, even if that said someone is a tad young and annoying. :/
Well, I guess this is just another example of how Hiccup's personality is different in the TV series (remember how he acted towards Snotlout in the 'Cast Out' episodes, and his competitiveness in 'Thawfest'?). I would say that he isn't canon. Hiccup in the films is a lot nicer. :/

Ryder
Night Fury

At least in Thawfest Astrid pointed out Hiccups's behavior to him. If someone would have reminded him of how he used to be before Toothless, I would have appreciated that.

Toothless123
Night Fury

Ryder
10 Jul 2015, 06:16
At least in Thawfest Astrid pointed out Hiccups's behavior to him. If someone would have reminded him of how he used to be before Toothless, I would have appreciated that.
Me too.

Iantje
Trying to hatch from the egg

That is exactly what I thought during the whole semi-rant of Hiccup during that episode. Was kind of hoping he'd later realize the similarities with (younger) him and Gustav. Apparently not.

I guess Hiccup has some mood swing issues.
I am Iantje

Skyshear
Skyshear

:P I like Gustav better when he was half of Hiccup's height. Plus I thought he would be taking over the Academy on Berk or at least trying to make a name for himself like "Gustav Larson, Dragon Rider Apprentice" or be name a new trainer and take a few other kids and their dragons under Fanghook's wing.
J. L. Polacek

Night fury fire

[b]
[color=blue]We're fangirls! It's an occupational hazard...
[/color]
[/b]

I honestly thought adding gustav as the main character in of an episode was a mistake

Clearly I wasn't wrong

Gone gustav gone was probably the only bad episode of rtte so far.

I mean, in some ways we can empathise with him, but otherwise I find him a very annoying character. >:(
^_^ ;) :D :$ :P 8) :'( :( ^) :O :blink: >:( <3 <- me seeing httyd 2