Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Let's talk about Dagur the Deranged.... (spoilers for RTTE S3)
Topic Started: 20 Nov 2015, 08:24 (6097 Views)
Crystallion12
Dunno what to say here.....

I know I'm still new here, but I've already posted an introduction and story, and after this maybe some artwork, so I figured, why not try to start up a theory conversation?

Well, by now, you've all probably seen one of new episode names for RTTE- One of the them is called 'A Time to Skrill', and I saw on that page that many people were suspecting a team-up here, as the Skrill is clearly going to be somewhat related to the episode in the least (come on; it's in the freaking name!), so...

Do you think it would be a good idea for a team-up between the two? Obviously, some chaos at least would occur, but I just wondered...

Hiccup has always been downright amazing at befriending and turning enemies into good- for dragons, training them, people, convincing them.

I just wonder, if Dagur redemption is coming up, would it be here? Sure, it'd probably be VERY rushed for one episode... But, what if something along the lines of 'Dagur finds Skrill and sees the good, innocent side of dragons' happened, and Hiccup helps him? Could Dagur be a new anti-villain? (I guess like Alvin in a sense)

I don't know, I just think that it would allow a lot of room for Dagur's relationships- especially with Hiccup and Heather, man, we can't forget his sister! *Secretly muttering things about it :unsure: *]

Perhaps it could be something to do with our new villains? From what we've been speculating, it appears they are quite formidable, if they were indeed owners of those graveyard ships. Could they have destroyed Dagur's fleet, or won them over? I just think it would be a nice twist.

If they do somewhat go this way (Dagur Redemption), I sure hope they mantle it nicely. You know, uneasiness, disbelief, wariness, all that good stuff around him. :)

Hope to see your responses someday, hopefully soon,
Crystallion12
Save the Earth... It's the only planet with donuts!

May the stars watch over you, the dragons roar at the sound of your name, and peace, love and the truth enlighten your heart forever,
May you stay true to your soul, mind and heart. Your choices, opinions and life are solely your own, give only the ones you hold dear to your heart your heart, and all your word. Make the right choices, and tread carefully, and live your life to its very fullest,
Crystallion12.
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

Demonwolf002
Lone Dragon

It's definitely possible to see Dagur and the Skrill working together again. I'd say it's also possible (considering the title) we may just get an episode with the Skrill by itself. Getting to see what it's capable of on its own merits.
(Which I'd be completely okay with. 8) )

Own the subject of Hiccup managing to turn Dagur and him getting a redemption story. Personally I'd rather it not happen. I don't feel that it would work with this character. I also feel this series as a whole has had to many redemption stories so far. Technically Stoick in the first movie, to Alvin even though we've seen nothing of him, and Mildew as well again even though we never really saw him. I feel it would serve better if Dagur wasn't given that luxury.

The show can just pull the same thing they did with Oswald the Agreeable, and just say he was "dealt with" off screen. Ending it for us by showing him getting beaten and captured and Heather taking him and "dealing with him" off screen. That way they could complicate and darken her character more if they wanted to. Or just show him getting beaten and escaping and out of desperation turning to these other villains, and them betraying him and again "dealing with him" off screen. Personally I'd prefer the latter since it would lend some gravity to these new villains and truly make them feel like they're an escalated threat from what Dagur was/is.

We know neither Heather or Dagur appear in the second movie, and I've already made a few suggestions as to how I feel the show may write off Heather, but we'll just have to wait and see how that goes. With that said these these characters do have (or at least need)to be given satisfying conclusions within RTTE. And I feel Dagur's conclusion would be satisfying by having him dealt with by the same people he turned to after after getting increasingly more mad and desperate after every defeat by Hiccup and the gang.
See you in the skies Dragon Rider!

The Dragon Root:Thing what I wrote.

Is Toothless Evil? :Me possibly being crazy, but fun.

The BerkCast The HTTYD podcast, you should listen.

Toothless the nightfury
Deadly Nadder

i think i head somewhere were getting a new villain in the upcoming episodes so i reckon theyre going to get rid of dagur

maybe he gets the skrill again tried to attack berk but berk captures him and put him in their prisons that way they can ignore him but at the same time still refure to him from time to time and there always the potential for an escape episode

DragonbackVoyager
Hideous Zippleback

I think that Dagur has been around for too long now for him to just be "dealt with off screen." I personally wouldn't be satisfied with that ending to his character, and I feel like it would be a cheap move. If you think about it, he's been a part of the show since the beginning ("Twinsanity" in RoB)- he CAN'T just disappear with a few inconclusive words from Heather as to what happened to him. :O I think I would lose my mind.

That said, I also doubt that he'll be redeemed at this point. I think some of us agree that, while his character was quirky, unpredictable, and, to some people (ME), enjoyable in RoB/DoB, he's gained a whiny narcissism in RTTE that's done two things: (1) It's made his character almost impossible to like, so (2) his appearances get really old, really fast. Because he's just going to laugh about a victory that he doesn't come close to achieving, then he's going to whine about his loss.
Basically, I think he's too self-centered now and too "out there" with his insanity for his character to just forget that Hiccup has destroyed his plans eight million times and try to join the dragon riders with a Skrill.

So, what do I think WILL happen?
I agree that Dagur's character should be retired.
Other than that, I have no clue, but it'd better be GOOD! ^_^

The best Secret Odin GIF(t) ever, made for me by DeWhite! Thank you! :D

Demonwolf002
Lone Dragon

DragonbackVoyager

think that Dagur has been around for too long now for him to just be "dealt with off screen." I personally wouldn't be satisfied with that ending to his character, and I feel like it would be a cheap move. If you think about it, he's been a part of the show since the beginning ("Twinsanity" in RoB)- he CAN'T just disappear with a few inconclusive words from Heather as to what happened to him. :O I think I would lose my mind.
I probably should have been more clear with the whole "dealt with off screen" thing. By which I mean he's killed off screen, since the show is never going to do that on screen. There are a few shows that have done something similar to this. The trick to making it work though is the character does get there climactic big finish. In the case of Dagur (and my personal preference for writing him off) he would escape being caught after the big plan fails and being at his lowest, maddest, and craziest point turns to insert possible new villains. Problem is he doesn't truly understand what their capable of compared to him. New villains arrive to do insert thing here to the Dragon Riders. When asked how they found the Riders all they have to say is a certain madman let slip some info about a certain Nightfury and possibly Dragons Eye. Hiccup would be able to easily guess from there, and when he asks where Dagur is. All they have to do is smile and say "We don't know, but he's no longer mad." (or insert better written phrase here) Gives good enough implications while staying inherently vague for a show for a younger audience, and also gives a lot more weight to the new villains.

This is however just my personal preference for how I'd like to see Dagur's big finish. I do think it could work well here, again if it's done right. But I think the shows writers are more than capable of pulling it off. With that said though I'm sure I'll be fine(if not I'm sure you'll see me post about it at least once :P ) with whatever end they give to Dagur whether it follows my personal preference or not.

Crystallion12

Hmmm... Amazing answers, guys! Love them, and I must agree.

I do like redemption stories, but all of you are right concerning his long-time appearance, and his now annoying really old appearances.

The best options, I believe, would be going along with the 'until we meet again, brother, on the FIELD OF BATTLE' . A nice, big fight between the riders and Dagur's fleet, one that took up longer lthan only three or five minutes, maybe even crossing over two episodes, to either: someone fight and kill him (probably being Hiccup, with maybe a fire sword, and battle armour...? *pouty face*), or two: having him team up with a new villian, but then again, that wouldn't do much, would it?

There's a big problem with number one, which was stated by Demonwolf002 (thanks, buddy!), and its sadly trie; there's a tremendously high chance they won't kill him on screen. 'Too dark' apparently, especially if there was blood (which logically should be) , but if you look back a bit... Sleeping beauty had Prince Phillip (I think that's right...) kill Maleficent (although she was a dragon) , and there was blood, so why can't DRAGONS do the same? I'm, and I'm pretty sure others, aren't asking for a blood bath, so what's the huge issue? Also, didn't Dreamworks also say a while back another reason they noted Netflix was something along the lines of 'on Netflix, we can be a bit more mature, not too much, but just enough to be effective?' This includes the Hiccstrid, too.

What do you guys think? Let me know when you can!

Crysallion12

May the stars watch over you, the dragons roar at the sound of your name, and peace, love and the truth enlighten your heart forever,
May you stay true to your soul, mind and heart. Your choices, opinions and life are solely your own, give only the ones you hold dear to your heart your heart, and all your word. Make the right choices, and tread carefully, and live your life to its very fullest,
Crystallion12.

DragonbackVoyager
Hideous Zippleback

I understand what you mean now. :)
I also know that they couldn't possibly kill him on screen. I was just describing a situation like this: The new batch of episodes comes out, Dagur is nowhere to be seen, and, somewhere in the third or fourth new episode, a random character shows up and implies in a strange and abstract way that he's gone (ex. like how it could be believed that Dagur's sister was dead by how he referred to her in RoB/DoB before RTTE). I would be upset by that.

Yeah, teaming up with a new villain wouldn't do much to move towards retiring the character. :P Besides, I think we saw in DoB that Dagur doesn't do teamwork very well. ;)
To me, it looks like some kind of final fight is in store, but I could happily settle for other endings. I don't know if I can even explain how much I liked this character in RoB/DoB, but, for the sake of making those awesome seasons with him worthwhile, I hope he gets the honor of leaving in a well-executed episode more or less centered around ending his run in the show.
And, regardless of how and when his character is removed, I'm making a ceremonial "goodbye" post. :'(

The best Secret Odin GIF(t) ever, made for me by DeWhite! Thank you! :D

Crystallion12

Yeah, thanks for that- this is all truly stoking the fire of my imagination... And this damn amazing song!! I'm currently listening to a MLP fan-made song, Confrontation. It's actually a cover, I'm pretty sure, but it's so... So, amazing. The video's on YouTube, called [SFM Ponies] Confrontation. It has Luna and Nightmare Moon in it... So off-topic.... But seriously, if you don't mind and have the time, do check it out, even if you aren't a fan of the show.

Anyways, I wholy agree with you- I don't know why, like, it could be the whole episode name thing, but I think we might soon be replacing Dagur for another- in RoB and DoB, we first got Alvin, then Dagur was being introduced as he got out of the picture- leaving Dafur alone. I think that we'll get our third villian (also meaning tribe or whatever) of the lot, keep Dagur running for a bit more, then introduce a new villian, and kill him off somehow? Leave us with these new bunches?

Here's a bit of a 'episode villian theory'

Night of the Hunters Parts 1&2: Introduce new hunters villains batch #1
A time to Skrill: Possibly kill Dagur off early?
Edge of Disaster Parts 1&2, : New villains? Batch #2? Or killing Dagur off?
Maces and Talons Part1&2: Somehow new villains, or the other new batch?

I don't know, just a theory from the depths of my complex and draconic mind, but I hope to hear from you guys soon.

Signing out, Crystallion12

Crystallion12.

Demonwolf002
Lone Dragon

DragonbackVoyager

Yeah, teaming up with a new villain wouldn't do much to move towards retiring the character. :P Besides, I think we saw in DoB that Dagur doesn't do teamwork very well. ;)
I'm not saying he teams up with anyone.

DragonbackVoyager

The new batch of episodes comes out, Dagur is nowhere to be seen, and, somewhere in the third or fourth new episode, a random character shows up and implies in a strange and abstract way that he's gone (ex. like how it could be believed that Dagur's sister was dead by how he referred to her in RoB/DoB before RTTE). I would be upset by that.
I am saying this is how you end the character after his big final fight.

For example you have the episode/s with the final fight with Dagur. It all eventually ends in Dagurs defeat and no way for him to be anymore of a threat. Now you could have him captured and thrown in jail again, but that didn't work the first time and there's no way you can have that same end to this same character and make it feel like it would work this time. So instead he gets away and the show not having introduced the new villains at this time has Dagur turn to them at the very end. Within that same ending we get vague implications that their probably not going to work with Dagur. Then when we see them but no Dagur you work this in
Quote:

When asked how they found the Riders all they have to say is a certain madman let slip some info about a certain Nightfury and possibly Dragons Eye. Hiccup would be able to easily guess from there, and when he asks where Dagur is. All they have to do is smile and say "We don't know, but he's no longer mad." (or insert better written phrase here)
Do it this way and you set the audience up nicely for the new villains. And as I said earlier you give gravity to the new villains since they were able to do away with the previous villain so easily and had no second thoughts or cares about doing so. Actually this series has already done something similar they just brought that character back (and I guess you could say they redeemed him). When Dagur replaced Alvin as the new villain the show made it seem like Dagur had killed him. Now granted no one actually believed that he died but the general idea is the same, it's just this time you make it stick.(don't give Dagur the same treatment as Alvin)

Now granted I get why that death being vague and not on screen would be upsetting to someone who really enjoyed the character.(I enjoyed the character a lot myself as well) But if the final fight before it is done right and the vague implications are as well. Then I don't feel it would be as bothersome or upsetting as you might think. Like I said earlier this show has done it before and other shows and stories have as well to great effect. When it's done right.

With all that said I don't feel this is how Dagurs arc is going to be ended in the show. It's just something I'd like to see and think it would be a good ending for him.
I have a feeling it may end up having something to do with Oswald the Agreeable (Dagur and Heathers father) having not been killed by Dagur (Like the show had vaguely hinted at him having done), and instead Oswald being alive.
If not that then Heathers foster parents weren't killed by Dagur. Which has no bearing on Dagurs ending but it does involve him, and I feel it would be brought up during one of their endings.(If not both)

A side note

Crystallion12

Oh, ok, I did see what you were saying, Demonwolf002 (I think I got that right...), but I was merely... Posting.... Something. Actually, now that I look back at it, I have no clue what point I was trying to get across... Well, I was basically saying that if they went with such and such...

Yeah, I don't think I'd like it either if they had him team up. He DOES suck at it, bad, and I'd be disappointed to see it, unless if they could somehow pull it off...

Everything you just said, I think works well. I don't want to stir anything, so know I agree with you. But, at the same time, I feel like he needs some sort of unique finish- even if it is just for the franchise itself. That being said, I also love Dagur as a villain, although, his character is almost becoming annoying in bad way, his appearances and moves too expected, his whole character too expected, and everything about him mainly boring. I still love him, but one of the reasons I really quite liked the Heather sister twist is because it's new. I still like him, just not as much as... Before.

Come on, did you expect abrupt appearance in the Night and the Fury? Sure, I came to the fandom a while after it began, like, three years (a few months before HTTYD 2, to be exact), and so I watched the show out of order, but I still wasn't expecting to see Dagur pop up when he did! It's not just then, either.

May the stars watch over you, and the dragons roar hearing your name,
Crystallion12.

Crystallion12.