Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
RTTE Season 2 Ep. 1- 'Team Astrid'
Topic Started: 08 Jan 2016, 10:16 (1389 Views)
Turquoise Nadder
Dragon Egg

So the first episode of the second season was pretty awesome, and if you haven't seen it yet what follows contains a mild spoiler. If this doesn't bother you, read on. If it does, then perhaps don't read it quite yet!

Towards the beginning of the episode, Astrid learns that her family home has been destroyed in the wake of an attack on Berk orchestrated by Dagur. Her parents, to her relief are safe, but she remains upset (and rightly so) that her parents could have been hurt and that the home she grew up in is unfortunately no more.

'Home she grew up in' suggests that this is a building in Berk which has managed to, up until this point, managed to (some degree at least) withstand the countless dragon attacks which occurred on a frequent basis in the past. To me, it sounds like it's never been completely rebuilt and thus remains the 'original' structure.

Now, consider what Hiccup says at the beginning of the 1st film regarding Berk: "It's been here for seven generations, but every single building is new". How can this be true if it appears Astrid's home is not 'new' at all? Is it a continuation error? Maybe, maybe not.

I like to think it's a testament to the efforts of the Hoffersons to not only protect their village, but their property and each other as well. Astrid probably didn't stray far from Berk prior to settling at Dragon's Edge, so for all of this to have happened during her first extended absence, it is understandable why she would have felt partly responsible and why she needed to do something about it.

It gives us a deeper insight I guess, into not only her motivations but her character as a whole.

On second thought, maybe I'm just overthinking things! :unsure: ^)

PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

VeloYourSwaggyDragon
I am... swaggy

Turquoise Nadder
08 Jan 2016, 14:16
Now, consider what Hiccup says at the beginning of the 1st film regarding Berk: "It's been here for seven generations, but every single building is new". How can this be true if it appears Astrid's home is not 'new' at all? Is it a continuation error? Maybe, maybe not.
Unless your theory about the Hofferson family being good at protecting their property amidst dragon attacks is correct, I'd agree that this would be a continuation error, but a minor one. That detail from the first movie was one I had actually forgotten about until you had brought it up, and I'm willing to bet I'm not the only one to have forgotten this detail, too. It is a good thought!

draco
mystery dragon, pic drawn by night fury fire. Thank you :)

Also to think about. In the episode with the flightmare, snotlout makes fun of her family and she takes it personally. Remember her saying that the flightmare ruined her family name. Family and family name is very important to her.
Dragons, need I say more.

Hiccup, chief of berc, dragon master.
Toothless, alpha dragon.
You and me bud we can do this, as one.
It's just a zipple misunderstanding
I like a pit, but I love a boar pit.
i am hurt,I am very much hurt.

thenightandthefury
Gronckle

If you think about it, I think they mean after the events of HTTYD 1. I think up until that point people were used to rebuilding, but after dragons and vikings made peace she was able to maintain a home. My personal opinion is that this house hadn't been rebuilt since she was a child, possibly bringing back bad memories of when dragons were at war with vikings.

See a lot of things changed after vikings and dragons made peace, and rebuilding is one of them. In HTTYD 2 the town is overflowing with new inventions and buildings; its apparent that they are not used to having to rebuild any more. By HTTYD 2 they had become accustomed to a more luxurious life, because they hadn't the fear of dragon attacks.

So actually I wouldn't count this as an error, since this is something that would make sense if you think of it in the way that Berk hasn't known war since Astrid was a child.

hictooth
Archivist of Berk

From what I remember from the first film, it was unusual for an entire house to be burnt to the ground. By "every single building is new", 1 - I think Hiccup was probably exaggerating a little bit, but also he probably meant that parts of houses needed to be rebuilt, not the entire thing. Remember that they did have fire patrols!

In episode 14, the entire house is trashed. I think this could be the first time that the whole thing was c

Edit:
So this is what happens when I fall asleep whilst posting something and accidentally click the post button whilst I'm asleep. I'm not quite sure what I was going to say next, as I was pretty tired when I started writing it!

I guess I'll just leave that sentence to hang in the unknown for ever more...
Astrid - "Hictooth"?
Hiccup - Yeah, it's not my snappiest comeback.

Turquoise Nadder
Dragon Egg

It did cross my mind that Hiccup may have been exagerating just a little bit in his commentary at the beginning of the first film. I think, like I said in my first post, I might be overthinking a few things!

Thanks everyone for humoring me on my odd little thought/theory! ^_^

*Sigh* The things I think about in the shower!

Skyshear
Skyshear

I believe that most of the building were survived because as we know vikings are stubborn people who don't give up easily like :astrid: and her fellow hoffersons.
J. L. Polacek