Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
rtte season 2 discussion
Topic Started: 10 Jan 2016, 03:04 (5421 Views)
Demonwolf002
Lone Dragon

So I think most of what I have to say will center around the character development, but I'll save that for the character development topic. For now I'll focus on the ending and a few other things.

SPOILERS AHEAD:

First off the animation quality is still great. The look, the feel, the effects, it all seemed great to me. I thought last season of RttE was an amazing step up and I feel this season at the very least continues to be the same amazing quality we got the first season.

Next up the characters not going to say to much since most of what I want to say can be covered in the character development topic. I will say that all the Riders were touched on from Astrid getting her much needed episode as well as showing her dynamic with a completely different character who before hand we never saw her interact with as much if at all. The twins were touched on more and shown that there not just pranksters and even Fishlegs and Snotlout had some moments devoted to learning a bit more about them as well. The dragons to seemed to be given a little more time to their character, especially Barf & Belch. So in my opinion character development was really good this season for the main group. The new villains were good I'll say more later after a second watch in the character discussion topic as to what I think on them and how I feel about Dagur and Heather, but for now I would be willing to say I liked a lot of what I saw.

Story wise I enjoyed the ramp up, things are getting more heavy and it seems the dragon eye is getting more involved. The season ending was great it was nice to see a villain (other than Mildew :P ) finally achieve one of their goals, and beat Hiccup and not lose in the same episode. I will say Hiccup bringing the Dragons Eye with him felt fairly plot contrived just so Vigo could obtain it from him, but I'll let it slid. I enjoyed how the overarching story flowed throughout most of the episodes. Even the idea of bringing up old story threads or ideas from past seasons worked really well, and didn't feel to out of place to me.

There's maybe one or two things I could say I was disappointed by. One was not getting to see an actual design for the Lycanwing. Would've loved to have gotten to see that and what it may have looked like instead of the "it kind of doesn't exist ending we got".This isn't really a bad thing just a personal nitpick. Second would be the Armorwing, while the episode itself I did enjoy I'm still not really all that impressed with this dragon and it's design. It's look was just to similar to a Boneknapper or a Monstrous Nightmare, and it's ability while different and something we hadn't seen before still centered around metal like the Smokebreaths. I feel I would've enjoyed this dragon more if it's look was more distinct. I'm sorry but for a show that gave us the Quaken and the Death Song this was (In my opinion) a step down in terms of creativity with the look.

But overall (other than going into specific character development which I will do later) I really enjoyed this season. I would also be willing to echo the sentiment of others in saying this is one of the best seasons so far.

One quick theory on how the story will deal with the dragons eye and why will never get to see what info it has about Nightfurys. Hiccup will more than likely have to make a choice at some point (possibly being brought on by Viggo trying to tempt him perhaps?) to either keep the dragons eye to learn more about Nightfurys or destory it. Since one of Hiccups weaknesses is his wanting to find Toothless's kind. This will possibly be used in that manner, but ultimately Hiccup will destroy it. But that's just an idea, will see where the show goes with that reveal at the end. Since it may not even be a Nightfury in that final image from the Dragons eye.

See you in the skies Dragon Rider!

The Dragon Root:Thing what I wrote.

Is Toothless Evil? :Me possibly being crazy, but fun.

The BerkCast The HTTYD podcast, you should listen.
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

Crystallion12
Dunno what to say here.....

To the user who posed the intense question: 'Does this mean we'll see the location of the Night Furies?' Here's my thoughts...

Quite possibly, but then why would Hiccup and Toothless be on the lookout for them in HTTYD 2? 'Who knows, maybe we'll finally find another Night Fury...' Hiccup says this, and it clearly translates into the fact they still only know of one Night Fury, Toothless. The DVD extra's, and Valka, only support this. Unless of it's something extra top secret, and they're forbidden to say it or something, then surely Hiccip would have interfered and said he wasn't the last.

I don't know... Perhaps it is the location- perhaps they once lived on this island, but when they go there, maybe it's just a myth, or I prefer the idea of it's abondoned, now only a small rock, destroyed to that point, or perhaps completely void of life, plant, animals and dragons, as if a mass extinction occurred. That could work, at least for me.

But still, the fact remains; that dragon shown at the end was a Night Fury. And those guys have the Dragon Eye- and most likely know exactly what it says. They could be the reason the Night Furies are so rare- or, on the level of extinction... Also, anyone notice how Drago is wearing a black dragon skin cloak...? And it basically looks exactly like Toothless'? The scales looked a little different though...

Right, back to RTTE! More Night Fury stuff!

Take note, that the Night Fury, was, well, an accurate looking Night Fury.
The vikings, before Toothless, supposedly didn't know what Toothless looked like- they probably guessed he was black, or at least dark coloured, though. Also, his speed and size, according to 'Speed unknown, size, unknown.' They basically only knew he was lethally dangerous. And don't even get me started on the whole 'Strike Class' topic thing.

These guys knew what he looked like- they recognised the Night Fury. Sure, it could of been the Plasma Blast sound that triggered it, but I'm pretty sure they knew of it before he fired. The Night Fury (or at least Toothless) is pretty unique in his design. Excluding the Sand/Desert Wraiths.

If the Dragon Eye IS as ancient as they said, (and at the moment, I'm pretty sure you can't update the Dragon Eye...) then their tribe, or someone, knew what the dragon looked like, long, LONG before anyone else... So the most likeliest option is that they had encountered Night Furies before, or were possibly at war with them...?

I guess this is a theory, but I like (more like love) to think perhaps this tribe had befriended the Night Furies. Lived in harmony with them, perhaps even ride them. But then, one day, perhaps Dragon Hunters, or something, someone, came along that A, wiped the dragons, and possibly the tribe out, B, caused them to leave or retreat, C, turned them against the people, (i personally say they're above that and would not do it) or maybe D, some other event happened, such as maybe they went into hiding... Where does that leave Toothless?

EDIT: just remembered... Didn't the producers say something about an epsidoes where they come across a strange village, that WORSHIP dragons?! Idk, supporting my ideas? Don't hurt me... :'(

But in the end, these guys... They have the Dragon Eye. There is a Night Fury, on the last projection we see... (lit by a Terrible Terror... Should we be alerted?) They most likely know more than we do if Night Furies, perhaps their old home, or location. Who knows, maybe they're extremely independent dragons...

What do you guys think? I'd love to hear your thoughts on this. Also, with a 'shoutout' to DemonWolf002 (hope I got that right...), I think it's a likely ending to both the Dragon Eye, and perhaps the faint glimmer of hope that is knowledge of the Night Furies... Make the right move, Hiccup, make it.

Sheesh, Dreamworks!! What a tizzy you've got us in... Well, they had to keep the excitement and edge (no pun intended lol) on us somehow... Wow. Wonder how THAT conversation went...
Save the Earth... It's the only planet with donuts!

May the stars watch over you, the dragons roar at the sound of your name, and peace, love and the truth enlighten your heart forever,
May you stay true to your soul, mind and heart. Your choices, opinions and life are solely your own, give only the ones you hold dear to your heart your heart, and all your word. Make the right choices, and tread carefully, and live your life to its very fullest,
Crystallion12.

Zero the ruthless
Master Skrill Trainer

SPOILER

OMG OMG OMG the chances of it were low, at least thats what I thought. But They actually show it the skrill's ability to ride lightning bolts its seen twice in the Show.

One just to introduce it in the beginning when it landed on Stoik's house but the second was clearer right at the end straight after it bowed. OMG did you see that speed that was incredible I dare say I don't even think a Night Fury could surpass that I mean he reached the cloud in a matter of seconds. If you don't believe me go back and watch it ' A time to Skrill '

Name: Shockwave
Class: Strike
Species: Skrill
Ability: Shock
Attack: 14
Speed: 11/unknown
Armor: 10
Fire Power: 12
Shot limit: 4 (recharges quick in a storm)
Venom: 0
Jaw strength: 5
Stealth: 18

Thorndrum
Member Avatar
Dragon Egg

So that’s how Skrill rides lightning
I had a concept of it flying between lightning bolts, but I thought it wasn't the best idea....

Crystallion12
Dunno what to say here.....

Wowsies... I didn't even notice it before... Now I have to go back and watch the episode again....

Ok, can we just take a moment, please? A Time to Skrill, was perfect for me, because of the ending. It's beautiful, really.

The fact he felt GUILT, which I'm sure we all were on the same lines of- come on, I'm pretty certain I wasn't the only person disappointed in Hiccup, for, I don't know, condemning the Skrill to a frozen life- which, if you aren't aware, is not a stranger to plain cruelty, especially because it was a 'cheap' move in an honest battle, and he had just been a prisoner to a madman and treated like a prize, locked away again. It did nothing wrong, and it tried to eat because it was hungry and had to.

In fact, I'm completely understanding as to why it hated Hiccup and Toothless, and dint trust them until he put his life on the line for him.

That's what got everything so deep in the episode, although more towards the end. When Hiccup jumped to save the Skrill by exposing himself, he was panicked. And although it wasn't shown, I bet it was almost completely out of guilt.

The Skrill didn't deserve it, just as he said before they released him. After that, the Skrill and him came to a peace, because they had been forgiven (although Toothless was most likely still dubious). That's, what made the episode so emotional and amazing for me. Once again, a Hiccup move. He may have been a victorious improsener in DoB, but here, he's the peacemaker and forgiving dragon soul he is, and now, I am satisfied.
Save the Earth... It's the only planet with donuts!

May the stars watch over you, the dragons roar at the sound of your name, and peace, love and the truth enlighten your heart forever,
May you stay true to your soul, mind and heart. Your choices, opinions and life are solely your own, give only the ones you hold dear to your heart your heart, and all your word. Make the right choices, and tread carefully, and live your life to its very fullest,
Crystallion12.

thenightandthefury
Gronckle

Who else wants to see the whispering death rivalry rebuilt up? That was one thing I was hoping for so I am kind of disappointed that the only appearance the whispering death made was to defend them. I'd still like to know just WHY Toothless hated the whispering death so much.

Toothless the nightfury
Deadly Nadder

i believe it was a different whispering death that toothless had been in a fight with

Zero the ruthless
Master Skrill Trainer

Crystallion12
10 Jan 2016, 15:01
Wowsies... I didn't even notice it before... Now I have to go back and watch the episode again....

Ok, can we just take a moment, please? A Time to Skrill, was perfect for me, because of the ending. It's beautiful, really.

The fact he felt GUILT, which I'm sure we all were on the same lines of- come on, I'm pretty certain I wasn't the only person disappointed in Hiccup, for, I don't know, condemning the Skrill to a frozen life- which, if you aren't aware, is not a stranger to plain cruelty, especially because it was a 'cheap' move in an honest battle, and he had just been a prisoner to a madman and treated like a prize, locked away again. It did nothing wrong, and it tried to eat because it was hungry and had to.

In fact, I'm completely understanding as to why it hated Hiccup and Toothless, and dint trust them until he put his life on the line for him.

That's what got everything so deep in the episode, although more towards the end. When Hiccup jumped to save the Skrill by exposing himself, he was panicked. And although it wasn't shown, I bet it was almost completely out of guilt.

The Skrill didn't deserve it, just as he said before they released him. After that, the Skrill and him came to a peace, because they had been forgiven (although Toothless was most likely still dubious). That's, what made the episode so emotional and amazing for me. Once again, a Hiccup move. He may have been a victorious improsener in DoB, but here, he's the peacemaker and forgiving dragon soul he is, and now, I am satisfied.
I know right it sure was my Fav episode, because it was the best (although im biased considering the fact that im a Skrill fan)

Yeah the first time isn't clear but you could tell it did as it didn't show the lightning bolt struck the house (this was probably to give it a dramatic entrance) but the second time is right at the end straigh after it bows. Trust me you don't know how happy I was to see that.

Name: Shockwave
Class: Strike
Species: Skrill
Ability: Shock
Attack: 14
Speed: 11/unknown
Armor: 10
Fire Power: 12
Shot limit: 4 (recharges quick in a storm)
Venom: 0
Jaw strength: 5
Stealth: 18

CowgirlMermaid
Member Avatar
Dragon Egg

I did found something else that caught my eye in 'A time to Skrill',
Hiccup actually used another tailfin than his usual red one.
Can't post pictures, because I don;t use URLs to add pictures, I'd rather add straight from 'My Documents'
But you can see it clearly 6.20 minutes before the episode ends. ^_^

StaticTheSkrill
The Skrill of all Skrills...

Wowwwowowowow. My god that season was amazing. I am so grateful that they didn't let hiccup defeat Viggo because that build him up so well as a villain. The storytelling and scripting with Viggo were done so goshdarn well.

I'm definitely liking all these little tidbits of information slowly being played out about the dragon eye and how the artefact itself actually helps each type of dragon feel more unique, and I give props to the creators and writers for giving it that effect (unintended or not).

The Skrill episode is of course one of the ones I need to talk about, THOSE LIGHTNING JUMPS... I really liked this episode, mostly because of bias, but I only felt it was a bit rushed.

The Seashocker episode, was good but I thought it could have been handled a bit better.

I was a little annoyed with filler episodes since there was a lot more they could have done without them. However I do like the fact that these episodes still developed characters and managed to stay slightly story relevant.

The animation is a bit better than last seasons, and manages to hold up as a TV series even to the movies. That being said, there was one episode where it looked pretty bad in certain shots (cough Snotlout Gets The Axe).

Overall, this still manages to be amazing and I can't wait for more.
Ryuu ga waga teki wo kurau!