Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Dragons vs Comics
Topic Started: 04 Mar 2016, 10:39 (1447 Views)
thenightandthefury
Gronckle

I'll be the first to admit it; we, as dragon fans, have been rather spoiled. Not many franchises go to the extremes of animating several seasons of a television show, writing books and comics, teddy bears, etc. That just shows how epic dragons is. But, with the comic being released soon, I fear that the remainder of the story will be told through comics rather then the television show we have all come to love.

I won't lie; I am personally disappointed by this. I would much rather see an animated series then read a comic book. I feel although they can fit more in, it will lose its luster; for there is nothing quite like being able to watch the drama unfold on the episodes.

I would like to know your opinion; if the series turns to comics in its final pages before HTTYD 2, would you be okay with this? Or would you still long for the story to be told through animation? Let's hear your thoughts.
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

hcsp1
My only master is the free wind

Considering the fact that another season of the show has been confirmed way before RTTE had its name, you have nothing to worry about as there will be new episodes. They wouldn't have ended on a cliffhanger if it was the end of the show(I'm assuming...)

When you say "comics", do you mean the graphic novels written by Dean DeBlois and the RTTE show runner(Forgot his name)? If so, then they are covering the gap between HTTYD 2 and 3, not the original and HTTYD 2. At the end of the day it may not matter much to you, but I think both the show and the graphic novels are trying to do their own thing other than one replacing the other.

To the question of what I prefer, I'll say I'm fine with whatever they bring me. Either it's a fully animated product or a story told via speech bubbles, I don't care as long as I get to see Hiccup and Toothless do what they do best. :)

Demonwolf002
Lone Dragon

hcsp1

When you say "comics", do you mean the graphic novels written by Dean DeBlois and the RTTE show runner(Forgot his name)? If so, then they are covering the gap between HTTYD 2 and 3, not the original and HTTYD 2. At the end of the day it may not matter much to you, but I think both the show and the graphic novels are trying to do their own thing other than one replacing the other.
For the most part I'm in agreement with this. The show and the novel are covering two really different points in time, so I'm fine with the change up. (His names Richard Hamilton, and if I'm not mistaken he's just a writer for the show not a show runner, but I could be wrong there.)

If I'm being 100% honest though I'm more interested in the novel than the show. Don't get me wrong I really enjoy the show, but the novel seems (from the way DeBlois and Hamilton talked) to be going somewhat darker and into deeper thoughts and feelings than the show. Which is honestly what I'd expect considering what happened within the context of the story before it. I'm not saying the show can't go dark nor am I saying the graphic novel is going to do a full 180 in terms of style or theme. But I do feel with how the show has been written thus far it may not do as much justice to certain scenes, or go into as much detail as the novel might.

Do keep in mind though this is just my personal opinion and assumption about the novel after reading about it. So I could be entirely wrong about the novel here and how I perceive it currently, so we'll just have to wait and see. But again being honest I am more interested in the graphic novel currently. At least from the perspective of how it might delve deeper into the characters than what the movie or the show have done up to this point.
See you in the skies Dragon Rider!

The Dragon Root:Thing what I wrote.

Is Toothless Evil? :Me possibly being crazy, but fun.

The BerkCast The HTTYD podcast, you should listen.

Skyshear
Skyshear

For the moment, the comics are just filling the gaps. At the moment the comic series is in Defenders of Berk. Until we the comic series gets to Race to the Edge all they are doing is filling in the gaps after the Defenders Finale.
Quote:

if the series turns to comics in its final pages before HTTYD 2, would you be okay with this? Or would you still long for the story to be told through animation? Let's hear your thoughts.
I would love to see more of Race to the Edge on the screen than in comics. I mean the comics for the moment are fine and have nice stories. But I want to see them on screen than in the comics. I love comics, but just don't want dragons to go the way Star Wars: The Clone Wars just yet. The comics betters stay at Defenders at the time being or at where The Serpent's Heir.
J. L. Polacek