Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
was hiccup taking the dragon eye with him a plan
Topic Started: 25 Feb 2016, 19:24 (2159 Views)
Toothless the nightfury
Deadly Nadder

this came to me just the other day
i wonder if hiccup removed all of the lenses (we havnt seen that map before) in an attempt to lure viggo to the edge

we have also seen the riders take quite a few lenses perhaps theres very very few left out there hidden

PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

Demonwolf002
Lone Dragon

I'm assuming your referring to Hiccup taking the dragon eye with him when the gang goes to save Heather correct?

I would say this is more down to plot convenience then anything else. I mean yea we know Hiccup can make mistakes, but I'm pretty sure Hiccup wouldn't have made this kind of mistake. So I feel this is one of those times where the protagonist had to do something foolish (and kind of out of character but still have the show kind of give a reason for him doing it) so the plot could move forward.

With that said it's possible it could have been a plan, but I'd still ere more on the side that it wasn't. I mean number one what reason would he have for risking his only bargaining chip like that. Maybe you could argue he brought it with him if things went south badly, but it does show some arrogance on Hiccups part if he thought he wouldn't get caught along with everyone else. Also if you think about it that kind of plan would probably have quite a few variables to. One being Viggo might just kill them all if he got the dragons eye. While Hiccup does make mistakes and is definitely not averse to taking risks he's never came off as one to risk other peoples lives(mostly just his own). I'd say his plans usually come off to some degree as more thought out and reasoned at least in his mind. If there is risk it's somewhat calculated and again he's going to be the one trying to take most of if not all of that risk I feel. So with all that in mind I feel a plan like that has to many things he'd need to have happen just the right way, but at the same time those same things have a high chance of going wrong to, and possibly getting some one hurt or killed.

But the biggest question I feel you have to answer is just, Why? Why let Viggo have the dragons eye like that? What benefit does it serve Hiccup and the gang if Viggo has it?

On the map that is shown at the end of the episode, it's explained fairly well I would say. It was a filament that was blocking it from being seen and could only be burned away by a Flightmares mist. So that particular lens was (I would say) already apart of the dragons eye itself.
See you in the skies Dragon Rider!

The Dragon Root:Thing what I wrote.

Is Toothless Evil? :Me possibly being crazy, but fun.

The BerkCast The HTTYD podcast, you should listen.

Skyshear
Skyshear

Most likey hiccup did take the lenses out of the dragon eye before losing the dragon eye to viggo perhaps it just a list or map of islands with specific dragons. Maybe viggo has more lenses or he'll try to get the one the riders have and find islands from the lenses.
J. L. Polacek

Demonwolf002
Lone Dragon

Skyshear
01 Mar 2016, 15:07
Maybe viggo has more lenses or he'll try to get the one the riders have and find islands from the lenses.
I'd say with the ending we got that Viggo doesn't really need anymore lens for the dragons eye. Also keep in mind the ending for the show was very much about showing us that the riders are on the back foot here, and that our villain (Viggo) has the upper hand. So why backtrack on that and show us Viggo trying to get more lenses from the riders. It somewhat defeats the purpose of making Viggo look like he has the upper hand, and ruins the impact of those ending scenes. No, I'd say it would be more in line for us to see Viggo going around with his new map and just capturing and killing as many dragons as he wanted, and the riders trying to stop him when and where they could.

Toothless the nightfury
Deadly Nadder

Chekhov's gun
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chekhov%27s_gun

we never got to see what the lenses they found in bad moon rising contained

if they went to all that trouble of animating that whole bit (and arguably the whole episode) why diddnt they use them before they lost the eye

so either hiccup will find a way to make the lenses work without the eye
or they will get the eye back somehow

and doesent heather still have hers on her belt

either way i need to watch all of rtte again but this is something to dwell on until then

DragonbackVoyager
Hideous Zippleback

Yeah, I'm really curious about the lens on Heather's belt.

The best Secret Odin GIF(t) ever, made for me by DeWhite! Thank you! :D

Pipwizard
Gronckle

Yes was thinking that about the lens on her belt I can't wait to see what happens

Rush2112

[color=red]Dragon Pimp
[/color]

Did you guys forget that Hiccup took the key out? If your remember towards the very end, Ryker says it's "useless without a key"

Hence the whole Flightmare incedent. So I think Hiccup was gonna use it as a bargaining tool and didn't realize that Viggo had a backup "key"
Favorite quote:

Another Favorite quote:
"How many times has this kid been struck by lightning?" -Hiccup on Snotlout from A View to a Skrill Part 1

Co-caster of @BerkCast and our YouTube and tumblr
Hiccup Impersonator
Tall guy
Nerd

Toothless the nightfury
Deadly Nadder

Yes good point however I can't remember if previous episedes shew the key still in place

Demonwolf002
Lone Dragon

I think it's worth bringing up that if you plan on bargaining. You usually don't tend to attack first and then try to bargain after. People generally aren't willing to bargain at that point.(can't really blame them either :P )
Which is why I'd say this falls more into plot convenience then anything else. Because if you plan on bargaining you generally don't attack first, and if you plan on attacking first you generally don't bring your only bargaining chip with you. Since if you get caught/things get bad you have a way out/to buy more time.
Now you could argue this is Hiccup maybe being cocky, careless, or even underestimating Viggo, and with that in mind you could have a possible decent reason for him to bring the dragons eye along. But considering Hiccup isn't inherently cocky or careless though that does't mean he isn't prone to it at times. (though he might be a bit more apt to underestimate someone) I personally would still air more on the side of the plot needed him to bring it along(and with little to no explanation as to why)so he did.