Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
  • Pages:
Reviews of Race to the Edge, Season Three. (spoilers)
Topic Started: 24 Jun 2016, 10:57 (4208 Views)
Crystallion12
Dunno what to say here.....

(I'll post my reviews at some stage, maybe tomorrow.... Until then, I guess, go crazy!)
Save the Earth... It's the only planet with donuts!

May the stars watch over you, the dragons roar at the sound of your name, and peace, love and the truth enlighten your heart forever,
May you stay true to your soul, mind and heart. Your choices, opinions and life are solely your own, give only the ones you hold dear to your heart your heart, and all your word. Make the right choices, and tread carefully, and live your life to its very fullest,
Crystallion12.
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

hcsp1
My only master is the free wind

Okay, so... my spoiler review! First one to do this apperantly...

I want to start by saying that I LOVE the new DreamWorks logo with Hiccup and Toothless sitting on the moon! That's amazing!

Anyway, while I thought the season was good, something inside of me preffered the previous one a bit more. Again, that season was great and I'll get to the many good things I have to say about it later, but I just felt like the previous season was less... filler-y? Yeah, the last season had a lot of filler episodes as well, but something about this season's fillers seemed... not needed, maybe a bit dragging.

Okay, so let's get to the good stuff. First episode was GREAT! A very strong openning which not only shows how strong Hiccup and Toothless's connection is, but we got to see Dagur's other side and a bit of another side for Hiccup(Seriously, I don't think we EVER saw him that mad!). I also like how Hiccup makes Toothless different tail-fins, each with its own pros and cons.

I addressed Dagur in the topic about him, so I won't go into that...

I found the episode where the dragons turn on their riders to be a bit creepy. Not sure if its AS creepy as brain-washed Toothless from HTTYD 2, but there are simillarities. I also liked Heather joinning the group and starting to hit it off with Fishlegs. Also, the Hiccstrid parts were kind of cute. On the subject of character relations, I liked how Hiccup and Snotlout's connection seemed to have grown throughout this season.

And... let's talk about that cliffhanger. I won't lie, I think it sucked. First of all, there wasn't even one double episode in this entire season. When do they put one? The last episode. That's... there's something off about the last episode of your season having a "Part 1" in its name. I know there will be a new one, but it's still a bit stupid.

Second of all, that lady is an idiot. "Oh, that dragon protected you! I now know that you're speaking the truth and you're not working with Viggo." One second later, when it turned out Viggo planned the riders' arrival as a distraction, that little fact suddenly doesn't matter and Hiccup's the devil! I'm sorry guys, but that's stupid! That was just lazy! I want to see that cliffhanger resolved, sure, but did it need to be this contribed?

DragonbackVoyager
Hideous Zippleback

hcsp1
24 Jun 2016, 21:08
Anyway, while I thought the season was good, something inside of me preferred the previous one a bit more. Again, that season was great and I'll get to the many good things I have to say about it later, but I just felt like the previous season was less... filler-y? Yeah, the last season had a lot of filler episodes as well, but something about this season's fillers seemed... not needed, maybe a bit dragging.
I couldn't agree more. This season felt like there were two distinct types of episodes: plot and filler. Yes, the riders were rescuing dragons from Viggo's ships throughout the season, but almost nothing happened to advance Hiccup and Viggo's "battle" in episodes 2-10 besides adding Heather to the team. The little stories just became kind of dull, especially since it didn't feel like they achieved the type of character development with any of the riders that last season did with Astrid. The new dragons didn't feel so awesome, either, because most of them were chased away rather than trained with the possibility of returning. What happened to the Triple Strike after episode 8? It supposedly went back to the Edge with the riders, right?

LIST OF OTHER PROS AND CONS SO I DON'T LOSE MY MIND WRITING A TEN PAGE ESSAY ABOUT SEASON 3:
Pros: Dagur's character development (which was the gem of this season that I'm expanding upon below), the art style in Fishlegs' dream in episode 3, Hiccup tricking Viggo by letting him capture the Buffalord, the Buffalord itself, the funeral in episode 5, Gobber and Stoick vs. Chicken, the sea foam on the water at the end of episode 6, Heather acting so considerate to the dragon riders as their guest, Heather and Fishlegs, everyone singing, the Dragon Blade's original purpose against the Death Song, Episode 11, how episode 12 is episode 12 because of Dagur's information, Sir Ogrethorpe, how Gobber finds Grump, Mala's outfit, the twins' antics, and Viggo's ever tricky tricks and thoroughness when searching ships.

Cons: Dagur was pretty much the only one with significant character development, tedious and rather boring filler episodes, the Pokemon dragon, little plot development over the course of the season, the fact that I have to ask the question: "is the fact that Hiccup has the Snow Wraith key relevant or not?", no complete two-part episodes, the fact that the riders did not even look for Dagur's body and simply left after watching it all go down, the fickleness of the Defenders of the Wing, a severe lack of actual Hiccstrid development BECAUSE IF YOU'RE GOING TO MAKE THEM A THING THEN FOR THE LOVE OF THOR JUST GET ON WITH IT ALREADY.

As per usual with Dragons, the good outweighs the bad, but this season is settling itself pretty far from my favorite...
EXCEPT for Dagur. If I could talk to the character, I would put my hand on his shoulder and say, "Man, it's been quite the journey." From the peak of insanity in RoB/DoB to the trough at the beginning of RTTE back to the peak of this season...wow. They worked in his redemption about as perfectly as possible- everyone remained rightfully suspicious of him, but he didn't give up on turning his act around; he struggled to keep his cool a little bit as he interacted with the dragon riders to show that he's still Dagur, but he maintained himself; and they faded his character out with enough of an impact to make it matter in the course of the show.
Like I said before, episode 11 is the gem of the season. If Dagur taught me anything, it's that I should never EVER underestimate a Gronckle- he and Shadowmaster CRUSHED IT! I particularly like how Dagur combined his new abilities as a dragon rider with his skill with weapons. His knife shots were incredible, and he went out with a bang. Is he truly gone? There's evidence both ways, of course, but I personally don't think we'll be seeing him again.
My one problem with episode 11 is actually the rider's conduct as they watch Dagur battle Viggo's ships. Dagur single-handedly takes on the job that Hiccup and SIX other riders were going to do, and they at no point decide to go in and help? Even after they see that it is indeed a trap and work through that shock, they continue to hover and stare. And then the ships are all on fire, we don't see Dagur reappear, and they don't go to look for him...even though the threat is clearly neutralized? Hiccup does look properly mournful as he leaves the ships behind, but it still doesn't make much sense. My guess is that they did it that way to leave the "dead or alive" mystery open...
Either way, I'll miss him. :( It was fun, Dagur.

The best Secret Odin GIF(t) ever, made for me by DeWhite! Thank you! :D

Rush2112

[color=red]Dragon Pimp
[/color]

All I say is:
Don't tease Hiccstrid if you don't mean it,
and why must you cliffhanger?

At least give us a kiss or something!

Also, stop making Hiccup so gullible. I really thought he'd improve. Guess that'll be in December/January,

As for next season, I guess that Hiccup will escape Mala due to the volcano causing some tremors and falling down.
Favorite quote:

Another Favorite quote:
"How many times has this kid been struck by lightning?" -Hiccup on Snotlout from A View to a Skrill Part 1

Co-caster of @BerkCast and our YouTube and tumblr
Hiccup Impersonator
Tall guy
Nerd

HiccupxAstrid123
Member Avatar
Gronckle

Rush2112
25 Jun 2016, 01:05
All I say is:
Don't tease Hiccstrid if you don't mean it,
and why must you cliffhanger?

At least give us a kiss or something!

Also, stop making Hiccup so gullible. I really thought he'd improve. Guess that'll be in December/January,

As for next season, I guess that Hiccup will escape Mala due to the volcano causing some tremors and falling down.
I completely agree with you Rush.
:hiccup: <3 :astrid:
HICCSTRID IS SOOOO CUTE

Rush2112

[color=red]Dragon Pimp
[/color]

One thing I REALLY enjoyed was the "exposure" (idk what to call it)

But they actually had injuries AND showed them too! I never thought we'd see an arrow sticking out of anyone on this show! Or see actual wounds!

Great job for stepping that up!
Favorite quote:

Another Favorite quote:
"How many times has this kid been struck by lightning?" -Hiccup on Snotlout from A View to a Skrill Part 1

Co-caster of @BerkCast and our YouTube and tumblr
Hiccup Impersonator
Tall guy
Nerd

Kit
Kit

Dragonbackvoyager, (sorry I have not been on since I made this account so don't know how to direct reply) I agree with you all on everything! In my opinion, this season was still fun, but it definitely wasn't the best. Season 2 is still my favorite.

And I noticed the mark! The Dragon Hunters were using a metal tool that gave the same mark :eret: has on his chest! I am hopeful that season 4 (which I have a feeling will be released next January) will have more ties to Drago.

What do you guys think? :) I just thought putting in the mark was a nice hint to what future seasons (season? They have only confirmed 4 so far-) might have in store.

(And yes... may the Gods welcome Dagur into Valhalla with open arms :'( )
Snotlout Snotlout OI OI OI!

HTTYDLover94
Dragon Egg

I'm going to miss Dagur, but I'm glad they did it the way they did, it wasn't some horrible accident. Also, did anyone think he mysterious hooded trader was Drago?

Crystallion12
Dunno what to say here.....

No, that hooded person couldn't have been. Completely different face shape, hair colour, eye brows, eye colour, physique.

But honestly, I actually found this season to be my favourite. Maybe it was all the light-ness and fluffiness, but dark hintings they put in. Let's count 'em off;

Brandings, arrows, plagues, dragon slavery, wild (serious wild) dragons, leeches (which I find pretty nasty) , character death, dragon auctions, dragon fights to the death, and those are the ones i can think of.

I adore how DW just takes so many risks, unlike Disney. They go full-out dark when they want it.

And like the twins said.... No. Regrets.

But I do agree for the amount of fillers- the only thing, is that to me, they didn't FEEL like filler episodes. They all pretty much linked up in the end. It has a much more RoB and DoB feel, what with the one two-parter or so in a season... Except, for, well, the last episode. I must agree, the cliffhanger wasn't that enjoyable. Maybe, had they put Heather in that position, it would have been a lot better, since we don't actually know if she's alive or not in HttyD 2.... But Hiccup....

AKA, we know he survived.

And yes, I feel like Mala was.... She was good, just.... Ya know.... Too easily swayed to the tides. She must REALLY hate Viggo and the Dragon Hunters for that...
Save the Earth... It's the only planet with donuts!

May the stars watch over you, the dragons roar at the sound of your name, and peace, love and the truth enlighten your heart forever,
May you stay true to your soul, mind and heart. Your choices, opinions and life are solely your own, give only the ones you hold dear to your heart your heart, and all your word. Make the right choices, and tread carefully, and live your life to its very fullest,
Crystallion12.

Zero the ruthless
Master Skrill Trainer

I bet the Eruptodon is in that volcano. Look at Mala's clothes they have Eruptodon symbols on them.

Name: Shockwave
Class: Strike
Species: Skrill
Ability: Shock
Attack: 14
Speed: 11/unknown
Armor: 10
Fire Power: 12
Shot limit: 4 (recharges quick in a storm)
Venom: 0
Jaw strength: 5
Stealth: 18