Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
  • Pages:
How will Hiccup and Astrid get together in Rtte?
Topic Started: 02 Jul 2016, 08:40 (4422 Views)
Crystallion12
Dunno what to say here.....

Alicia
02 Jul 2016, 04:25
Could not agree with you more Wildcat: especially when they're described in the second film as being as '5 years in'- that just doesn't make any sense!

I mean, after the first film did Hiccup panic and backtrack on the relationship? I'm guessing it occurred because the show at that stage was aimed at children, but really, I've had enough of it. It's like freaking Ash and Misty in pokemon- just get together already!!
Yup! Oh, and with Misty and Ash? Couldn't agree more... Although I kinda like Dawn a bit more. Lol. Off-topic, whoops...
Save the Earth... It's the only planet with donuts!

May the stars watch over you, the dragons roar at the sound of your name, and peace, love and the truth enlighten your heart forever,
May you stay true to your soul, mind and heart. Your choices, opinions and life are solely your own, give only the ones you hold dear to your heart your heart, and all your word. Make the right choices, and tread carefully, and live your life to its very fullest,
Crystallion12.
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

Pipwizard
Gronckle

Snot loads going to be so heart broken bless him his character makes me laugh he's a softy really <3

Pipwizard
Gronckle

Ment snotlouds

Demonwolf002
Lone Dragon

KentuckyWildcat
02 Jul 2016, 04:03
If it were an entirely self-contained show, the dragging it out might still get tiresome but might not be as big of a deal. This is a problem that goes all the way back to ROB/DOB, but my real issue with the way they're handling the whole thing is how incongruous it seems with the movies.
I'd say this problem goes all the way back to the first movie and it's poor mishandling of Astrid's character when it comes to this relationship starting, not just RoB/DoB. But that could and probably should be it's on topic.
KentuckyWildcat

It's almost as if the writers didn't quite know what to do with the relationship once the franchise kept expanding. It's pretty obvious in the first movie that Astrid is supposed to be the love interest. There's very little ambiguity about her and Hiccup's status by the end of it if you take it as the standalone work it was initially meant to be. Then ROB/DOB heavily backtracked on that for reasons that still aren't clear to me, and made them friends with hints of hidden feelings.
If I'm not mistaken the creators behind the show at one point in time did kind of talk about how there were certain things they were not allowed to touch on at the time because of the second movie. Since it was never explicitly stated it's kind of up to the individual as to whether or not that includes Hiccup and Astrids relationship. This isn't really much of an excuse nor am I defending it since it further (IMO) muddies the waters for a character that already has a lot of contention surrounding her. Just feel it may explain somethings a little better.

Quote:

Fast forward to the release of HTTYD 2, and the promotional material was referring to Astrid as "Hiccup's longtime girlfriend". That was what we saw in that film as their dynamic was certainly one of two people who have been together for long enough to be completely comfortable with who they are as a couple. RTTE was supposed to show us how they got to that point and end right before the beginning of HTTYD 2 chronologically, yet at the 3/4 mark of the show they aren't even an official couple. That just isn't cohesive writing to me. Quite the opposite if anything.
This though I agree with you on it definitely seem like the writers/creators are dragging this out more than it needed to be at this point. Personally it doesn't bother me all that much, though my opinions on Hiccstrid are definitely not the norm I'd say. Though I can definitely see how it would be bothersome to some.

This is also a me personally thing, but I'm honestly having kind of a laugh at all of this. I mean the creators/writers have to be messing with Hiccstrid fans at this point, by stringing them along. Still very little on the relastionship front for them 2, and instead we get honestly way more on Fishlegs and Heather. Which is all the more funny when you remember that possibly isn't a relationship that lasts since Fishlegs is after Ruff in the second movie.
See you in the skies Dragon Rider!

The Dragon Root:Thing what I wrote.

Is Toothless Evil? :Me possibly being crazy, but fun.

The BerkCast The HTTYD podcast, you should listen.

Alicia
Grape Master

EveryEmpireFalls: It definitely feels like it should have happened but I can kind of see why they drag it out - I now have to keep watching to see how/when they get together (I mean, I would have anyway cause I love it but you get my point ^_^ )

Crystallion: the number of times I feel agony because of Ash and Misty... I never watched the show with Dawn... Oh look at that, the first episode with her just popped open on my computer! ;)

Demonwolf: I too feel like there was a mishandling of Astrid's character, its a shame they didn't instead try to rectify this in the TV show though... I did read a good piece exploring their relationship and it talked about how when they were younger and not as good friends, the kisses were fairly innocent and harmless but as they grew closer and begun to depend on each other, and well, grew up, the risks became bigger. I'm not saying this is true, but as I've definitely seen this happen in my personal life its the way I view their relationship (it also keeps me from going insane).
I agree that I know kind of just laugh at it, although every now and again it annoys me (they definitely almost went in for a kiss in the second last episode!!!). I feel like they know exactly what they're doing and having fun toying with the shippers- I would be completely cool with this usually, except they're already kind of screwing up their own timeline of the relationship so... get a move on!!

Sorry I didn't insert quotes, its too hard on my phone!
"You have the heart of a chief and the soul of a dragon..." ~ Valka, How To Train Your Dragon 2

Evan Electric Eel III
Shadow Striker

Alicia
03 Jul 2016, 10:50
EveryEmpireFalls: It definitely feels like it should have happened but I can kind of see why they drag it out - I now have to keep watching to see how/when they get together (I mean, I would have anyway cause I love it but you get my point ^_^ )

Crystallion: the number of times I feel agony because of Ash and Misty... I never watched the show with Dawn... Oh look at that, the first episode with her just popped open on my computer! ;)

Demonwolf: I too feel like there was a mishandling of Astrid's character, its a shame they didn't instead try to rectify this in the TV show though... I did read a good piece exploring their relationship and it talked about how when they were younger and not as good friends, the kisses were fairly innocent and harmless but as they grew closer and begun to depend on each other, and well, grew up, the risks became bigger. I'm not saying this is true, but as I've definitely seen this happen in my personal life its the way I view their relationship (it also keeps me from going insane).
I agree that I know kind of just laugh at it, although every now and again it annoys me (they definitely almost went in for a kiss in the second last episode!!!). I feel like they know exactly what they're doing and having fun toying with the shippers- I would be completely cool with this usually, except they're already kind of screwing up their own timeline of the relationship so... get a move on!!

The writers have basically backed themselves into the corner. The amount of fanfiction that has been written on how Hiccup and Astrid get together means the writers have to try and come up with something original or they will be accused of stealing someone else's idea. Delaying it this long hasnt helped

Alicia
Grape Master

Evan Electric Eel III
03 Jul 2016, 11:14
Alicia
03 Jul 2016, 10:50

The writers have basically backed themselves into the corner. The amount of fanfiction that has been written on how Hiccup and Astrid get together means the writers have to try and come up with something original or they will be accused of stealing someone else's idea. Delaying it this long hasnt helped
Do they really worry about this? I feel like it would almost be impossible to have something happen that hasn't been written about. Honestly, I feel like the writers have had how Hiccup and Astrid get together planned for a long time, now they just have to work out how to fit it into RTTE and execute it without seeming forced. Someone on their team has to be a romantic - look at Fishlegs and Heather!
"You have the heart of a chief and the soul of a dragon..." ~ Valka, How To Train Your Dragon 2

EveryEmpireFalls
Hatchling

Evan you have a good point there. I agree they have kind of backed themselves into a corner. But that shouldn't stop or slow them from doing what is... Erm. Right. Or at least inevitable. Haha

Alicia- what do you see as justification for dragging it out?