Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
  • Pages:
Dead or Alive
Dead 19 (35%)
Alive 35 (65%)

Dagur: Dead or Alive?
Topic Started: 05 Jul 2016, 01:55 (3933 Views)
EveryEmpireFalls
Hatchling

I agree.
You can't really apply a lot of those types of tropes and rules to HTTYD because of the kids audience is catered to so heavily -_- :/

That said though, I'm sure you can count the number of deaths on the show. Like the cannon fodder Viking in season 3, episode 1 who was attacked by the change wing. I would say it's safe to say he didn't make it out alive. Along with many more of them who jumped overboard at sea when the Dragon Riders attacked. They're flowing out in the ocean for sharks and dragons to eat and will dehydrate to death... To be blunt.
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

Crystallion12
Dunno what to say here.....

EveryEmpireFalls
05 Jul 2016, 05:55
I agree.
You can't really apply a lot of those types of tropes and rules to HTTYD because of the kids audience is catered to so heavily -_- :/

That said though, I'm sure you can count the number of deaths on the show. Like the cannon fodder Viking in season 3, episode 1 who was attacked by the change wing. I would say it's safe to say he didn't make it out alive. Along with many more of them who jumped overboard at sea when the Dragon Riders attacked. They're flowing out in the ocean for sharks and dragons to eat and will dehydrate to death... To be blunt.
And that's just what Dreamworks intends. To be subtle, bring out the message without raising anger among parents, as a lot do.

Although we are forgetting something... One body WAS shown clearly dead.... :stoick: WHY?!!!!
Save the Earth... It's the only planet with donuts!

May the stars watch over you, the dragons roar at the sound of your name, and peace, love and the truth enlighten your heart forever,
May you stay true to your soul, mind and heart. Your choices, opinions and life are solely your own, give only the ones you hold dear to your heart your heart, and all your word. Make the right choices, and tread carefully, and live your life to its very fullest,
Crystallion12.

Demonwolf002
Lone Dragon

If the movie could show Stoick or the Bewilderbeast's deaths on screen, then I'm pretty sure RTTE can show a dead body on screen if the writers/creators want to. (Although someone who knows the rating system better would have to correct me if I'm wrong on this.) It's also worth remembering these same creators have done this before during DoB with Alvin. Looking at the Buffalord Soldier episode I'd say you already answered it yourself, not showing those bodies aides the scene more, since more is left up to your imagination. I'd also say it was done that way to save on animation costs as well. Also what're you talking about no dead bodies on the show, there have been plenty of dead bodies in this show lest ye forget all of those poor poor fish. :P

Even if the show is unable to or unwilling to show dead bodies on screen though. They can still employ the use of some of those tropes. The writers just have to be more specific in the things they show you to prove that the character is dead. Also helps when they don't specifically have the another character say the line "we didn't see his body anywhere" (I'm paraphrasing somewhat but the point still stands)

Regardless even though I may assume he's alive untill otherwise proven. If he is dead, then like I said I give my kudos to the writers here I think it was a really good end for his character. And Dagur coming over to the riders side turned out better than I though it would be.
See you in the skies Dragon Rider!

The Dragon Root:Thing what I wrote.

Is Toothless Evil? :Me possibly being crazy, but fun.

The BerkCast The HTTYD podcast, you should listen.

Electronics
Hatchling

My conclusion was that Dagur is probably dead based on a few things: Number one, we have symbolisms that we have seen before linking a character to their death - the music and the falling dagger. Secondly, the note that Dagur leaves Heather; we have seen plenty of evidence for how strongly Dagur feels about his sister and how he does not want to be apart from her. Therefore, it would seem that the note that he leaves her, is his permenant way of saying goodbye to her. Lastly, seeing as we only (presummably) only have one more season left, it would seem weird to bring Dagur back from the dead and then send him off in order for the story to logically progress onto the 2nd film within 13 episodes.

Rush2112

[color=red]Dragon Pimp
[/color]

Dead. Reason: They need Heather to leave the "scene" otherwise she wouldn't be in HTTYD2.

How does this affect her not being in HTTYD2? Well SOMEONE has to be Beserker Chief
Favorite quote:

Another Favorite quote:
"How many times has this kid been struck by lightning?" -Hiccup on Snotlout from A View to a Skrill Part 1

Co-caster of @BerkCast and our YouTube and tumblr
Hiccup Impersonator
Tall guy
Nerd

Crystallion12
Dunno what to say here.....

Rush2112
10 Jul 2016, 03:55
Dead. Reason: They need Heather to leave the "scene" otherwise she wouldn't be in HTTYD2.

How does this affect her not being in HTTYD2? Well SOMEONE has to be Beserker Chief
So true! It explains everything! (There's actually a fanfic by BeyindTheClouds777 that has Chief Heather, but Dagur was killed as a villain in it)
Save the Earth... It's the only planet with donuts!

May the stars watch over you, the dragons roar at the sound of your name, and peace, love and the truth enlighten your heart forever,
May you stay true to your soul, mind and heart. Your choices, opinions and life are solely your own, give only the ones you hold dear to your heart your heart, and all your word. Make the right choices, and tread carefully, and live your life to its very fullest,
Crystallion12.

Demonwolf002
Lone Dragon

Rush2112

I have my doubts that this is the ending the show is going for, but we shall see I suppose.
See you in the skies Dragon Rider!

The Dragon Root:Thing what I wrote.

Is Toothless Evil? :Me possibly being crazy, but fun.

The BerkCast The HTTYD podcast, you should listen.

Evan Electric Eel III
Shadow Striker

Demonwolf002
10 Jul 2016, 05:04
Rush2112

I have my doubts that this is the ending the show is going for, but we shall see I suppose.
Well Oswald the Agreeable could still be alive for all we know

Starrygalaxy5
Dragon Egg

I think Dagur is alive and it will be because he taught Shattermaster the Inverted Gronckle Drop. The technique could be used to make it look like he and his dragon plummeted to their death from the sky and they could have hovered at ocean level hidden behind a rock and buzzed around the rock to stay out of view...or something like that. The episode put a subtle focus on the inverted gronckle drop and Dagur learning how to do it. First he does in on Shattermaster accidentally as he is trying to learn to ride. Then when Toothless is letting Dagur ride him, Dagur touches his wing in the same place as Shattermaster but Toothless kicks him off. The nightfury does not react the same way as a gronckle. Then Dagur perfects the method with his gronckle which Fishlegs and the others praise.

Heather the Berserker
I go where no one goes

How could so many of you guys think my bro is dead?! :'( Well we didn't see his body, he just dissapeared, and when somone just dissapears and the other characters think he is dead, he is almost always still alive. It's logical. And I probably sound mean saying this, but I kind of hope that Shattermaster died protecting him, so that he got away, and after greiving for Shattermaster, trained the Skrill. :D
And anyway, did you not see this??

Oh, and one more thing; I believe the knife sinking in the water does not represent Dagur's death, it represents the old, bad Dagur dying, so when he comes back in the next season, he is a new guy, ya know. ;) ^_^
Bear the flame