Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
  • Pages:
The "I've seen "Dawn of the Dragon Races" thread
Topic Started: 02 Nov 2014, 12:04 (10313 Views)
TheBlackFluffyThing
Terrible Terror

I liked it, but i think I'll just call it "Episode 0" of the 3rd season of Dragons.

I don't mind the fact that the animation quality is the one from the series, but what I do mind is the dragons getting little to no screentime and no personality. So as I said before, it's no Short Movie, but an episode of the TV series.

Night Fury: The unholy offspring of lightning and death itself.
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

durandalfr
Member Avatar
Dragon Egg

from my point of view, the animation in general was a tad better, so we can expect that in the next season.

LawOfTheSeas
Defender of Insanity and Master of Apologies

Overall, I had mixed feelings about it.
The fact that I had just finished watching HTTYD 2 in Blu Ray, film quality animation and was suddenly thrust into the animation style of RoB/DoB didn't work for me. There was a bit more 'ooh'-ing and 'aah'-ing than I would have liked, which made the short seem a little (emphasis on the little) like they had to make up for lost time. The fact that, though he may well have been available (since they had just done a film with him), they didn't use Gerard Butler, was a bit of a let down. The facts that there was no Spitelout, though it would have been awesome, and that Stoick's hair seemed a lot darker than even the first movie and the series were less let-down-ish than other parts.
But, there were a lot of great parts. Lots of in-jokes, which make fans like us feel very happy ('NOT a competition!' and Silent Sven, even when he had broken his silence - callback to last episode of DoB...) and lots of newer jokes (such as Snotlout's inventions constantly failing, and Hiccup and Astrid's reactions to the failures) made it a very humorous short.
Though a lot of me feels let down that I was waiting so long for it and that it didn't go as well as I'd hoped, I was also pleased. Still, my favourite short is always GotNF.
TheBlackFluffyThing
02 Nov 2014, 16:04
I liked it, but i think I'll just call it "Episode 0" of the 3rd season of Dragons.

I don't mind the fact that the animation quality is the one from the series, but what I do mind is the dragons getting little to no screentime and no personality. So as I said before, it's no Short Movie, but an episode of the TV series.
Also, I have to agree with this statement. The movies and GotNF had given lots of personality to all of the dragons - Stormfly's doglike personality, Meatlug's and the strange relationship with Fishlegs, Hookfang's deeply protective personality (which isn't just smashing things mindlessly), Barf and Belch and their bickering with each other, and loyalty to one single rider, each and Toothless being one of the deepest personalities around. Like RoB and DoB, DotDR enforces some idea that Dragons are just like cars - good for riding and racing, but no actual personality. This is one thing I would like to see addressed not just in the next short, but also, if possible, the series. Humans are not the only emotional characters in the franchise, and that is what I really like about the movies.
I HAVE RETURNED!

Did you miss me?

HideousZippleback

[color=blue]I'm just here for Snotlout.
[/color]

-_- Didn't care for it all that much. Was really disappointed they advertised it as a short even though it was a TV show with their young selves.

thenightandthefury
Gronckle

I think we have to consider "Dawn of the Dragon Racers" what it was meant to be; a promo for the new series. One person on the skypevine summed it up as one big trailer for the series, and I have to agree. While it was interesting, despite the series animation and casting, it was most likely meant to be something to get people hyped for the series. I can bet the series will start off with the annual dragon races, picking up from where the short left off. I was disappointed that they very much left it as a cliffhanger at the end, but the rest was satisfying.

A few things I did notice; there seemed to be a "Friendly" competition between Astrid and Snotlout, but when it came to Astrid being injured, Snotlout could have cared less; all he wanted was the black sheep for his own score. It just goes to show how Snotlouts feelings for Astrid are much more puppy love then real feelings. People have said they hope the series will pick up after dawn of the dragon racers.. My only concern about this is...

If they do that, how will we get to see things like.. Snotlout's crush on Astrid ending, his crush on Ruffnut beginning, etc? Cuz by the time we get to dawn of the dragon racers teenage time, he seems like he has already been rejected by Astrid. Any thoughts on this?

Pikey
Wow!

I thought it was alright, I was only disappointed by the quality of everything being super bright. I've moaned about that enough before so I'll just say I quite liked it.

NFDan96
The unholy offspring of lightning and death itself

I liked it, but it felt like an episode of the TV show with the animation and some of the voice actors.
<----------- This should never fail to make you smile. :)

Mccallistair
Gronckle

The short is now on Netflix in case anyone cares.

HideousZippleback

[color=blue]I'm just here for Snotlout.
[/color]

Blargh.

Dragonrider's Fury
Skrill

I've seen it, and yes, I'd have to agree it felt like RTTE S1E0. Still, I did enjoy it, more so than some of the other shorts. GotNF is still undeniably the best, though. :)
Proverbs 25:11

A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in pictures of silver.
Proverbs 15:1

A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger.

Team Pathetic Banner

Awesome Secret Odin 2019 GIFt set from Inhonoredglory. Thanks a ton! :-D