Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
  • Pages:
Differences from the Movie
Topic Started: 13 Apr 2014, 19:32 (5189 Views)
Koriko-Cha
Dragon Egg

eret
13 Apr 2014, 16:03
NightFuryChic
12 Apr 2014, 22:18
I don't like the whole "dragons could talk" thing. I love their silence and the bonds they created without words, but by other means. I am glad the movie made it this way.
Agreed! It was a good decision. Talking animals just don't fit the tone of the movies in my opinion.
Another thing to keep in mind, is that dragons do not speak Norse, English, or any human language at all (Stormfly is the exception). They speak Dragonese which, in the books, is described as being comprised of a complex set of not-necessarily-human sounds. Clicks, ticks, warbles, grunts, growls, etc. While the dragonese we have in the "Dragonese Dictionary" from Cressida Cowell is the most accurate equivalent for us, the way it is described in the stories themselves is very similar to how the dragons communicate in the movies.

So really, the biggest difference is not that the dragons do not speak dragonese, so much as it is that Hiccup does not speak dragonese.
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

Koriko-Cha
Dragon Egg

thescienceofmagic
10 Apr 2014, 15:17
Was there any part of the books that you wish was in the movie or would like to be in upcoming movies/the series? EG particular characters/dragons/events?
Bertha! Bertha is such a good character. She and Stoick are my BROTP for this fandom. I don't think she would fit well into the movies, but I would love to see a cameo in the series.

AuroraBorealis
Monstrous Nightmare

Koriko-Cha
13 Apr 2014, 23:35
thescienceofmagic
10 Apr 2014, 15:17
Was there any part of the books that you wish was in the movie or would like to be in upcoming movies/the series? EG particular characters/dragons/events?
Bertha! Bertha is such a good character. She and Stoick are my BROTP for this fandom. I don't think she would fit well into the movies, but I would love to see a cameo in the series.
Bertha would be great in the series! What a great idea! You should make a thread in the DOB section.
What should I write on my signature? Hmm...
I am a Httyd, Gravity Falls and Portal (One and two) fan.
I'm also a bookworm and an introvert.
That was pretty random, but that's me summed up in two sentences.

Heather the Berserker
I go where no one goes

NightFuryChic
12 Apr 2014, 22:18
I don't like the whole "dragons could talk" thing. I love their silence and the bonds they created without words, but by other means. I am glad the movie made it this way.
Yes, to tell the truth, I like this better too. :-P It just feels more... Idk, real I guess. :-|

Have I announced this yet... nehh not really I've only mentioned it.... but anywho, I'm planning a fanfic rewrite of the whole series, but I'm going to put more stuff from the books in it too. Any one got any ideas? Think this is a good idea? Not? Anyone? :)
Bear the flame

fearlessastrid
Somewheeeere over the rainbooow

Which book does cimacizi(i think that's her name)appear in?
*to the tune of 60’s Batman theme* nanananananana ASTRIIID

hictooth
Archivist of Berk

fearlessastrid
19 Sep 2016, 17:20
It's Camicazi, and from memory, she appears first in How to be a Pirate, which is the second book I think? Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, though!
Astrid - "Hictooth"?
Hiccup - Yeah, it's not my snappiest comeback.

Electronics
Hatchling

fearlessastrid
hictooth
19 Sep 2016, 17:44
fearlessastrid
It's Camicazi, and from memory, she appears first in How to be a Pirate, which is the second book I think? Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, though!
I just had a flick through the books and it seems she first appears in the third book "How to speak dragonese".

hictooth
Archivist of Berk

Ah yes, thanks Electronics - I'm wrong. Camicaze isn't in How to be a Pirate, she's in How to speak Dragonese.

I think she makes her next appearance in How to Cheat a Dragons Curse, which (again from memory) is book 4, I think.
Astrid - "Hictooth"?
Hiccup - Yeah, it's not my snappiest comeback.

TuthiTheZebracorn
Member Avatar
Dragon Egg

Koriko-Cha
11 Apr 2014, 00:07
AuroraBorealis
10 Apr 2014, 23:43
ScauldyTheScauldron
10 Apr 2014, 23:34
NO ASTRID?? JUST CAMICAZI? WHAT IS THIS!
I think Camicazi is a bit better, actually. Just read 'em before you make up your mind. :)
Camicazi is a wonderful character. Granted, a DIFFERENT character than Astrid (they're both fantastic), but wonderful in her own unique ways. I think if you give her a chance, she'll grow on you. And probably also steal the coat off your back. And your shoes.

I recently rewatched the second season of RTTE.
Spoiler: click to toggle