Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
  • Pages:
which is better book or movie
Movie 17 (40%)
Book 6 (14%)
Both are great 19 (45%)

book or movie
Topic Started: 20 Apr 2014, 08:59 (3014 Views)
Hope_and_Heir

[color=#B40431]Winner of Shnuckle's Oneshot Fanfiction Contest 2014
[/color]

I'll just leave this link to Cafcow's(on deviantart) pic cause this... This perfectly explains it. XD
http://cafcow.deviantart.com/art/Love-t ... -281245025
'There Were Dragons When I Was A Boy…'

PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

sashimee
Dragon Egg

the movie introduce me to the book and both are great

i just love them equally

BirdyTheBrave
I like big books and I cannot lie.

YOU MEAN I HAVE TO CHOOSE?
Update guys: It's party time with Joe.

Neilandio
Dragon trainer

I choose both in the poll but if I were forced to choose one I would chose the movie because of the changewings.
My dragon den:

TheBlackFluffyThing
Terrible Terror

I think both are great.
I've seen the movie before I started reading the books and after I read the first book, I definitely preferred the movie. But after reading the second book I came to the conclusion, that books and movie are too different to really compare.
The movie feesl more emotional to me, but the books sometimes have really deep themes.

Night Fury: The unholy offspring of lightning and death itself.

Hope_and_Heir

[color=#B40431]Winner of Shnuckle's Oneshot Fanfiction Contest 2014
[/color]

TheBlackFluffyThing
12 Nov 2014, 18:05
I think both are great.
I've seen the movie before I started reading the books and after I read the first book, I definitely preferred the movie. But after reading the second book I came to the conclusion, that books and movie are too different to really compare.
The movie feesl more emotional to me, but the books sometimes have really deep themes.
My exact opinion ^^
'There Were Dragons When I Was A Boy…'

HideousZippleback

[color=blue]I'm just here for Snotlout.
[/color]

I read the books long before any movie was even thought off and I will say the movie. Definitely the movie.

LawOfTheSeas
Defender of Insanity and Master of Apologies

Alright. A bit of long-winded stuff to come.

I first read the books when I was in Grade 3-4. It was in the school library (well, How To Be a Pirate was anyway... I always start with the second book for some reason - in every instance) and I read it and was captivated. I found it age-appropriate, witty, clever and fun, plus an original take on the idea of dragons. I became very loyal to the books.
Fast forward a few years to Grade 8. I had moved from Grade 8 in England, and I was now in Australia. I wanted to meet new people, so when I was invited to watch the 'new movie' out that month, I was excited to know what it was. It was HTTYD.
The others in the house had already seen it, but I was new to it. I explained that I had read (and possibly memorised) the books, and how much of a fan I was.
It began, and I was excited. But everything was wrong.
Why were the dragons fighting the vikings? Why was Gobber not screaming? Who is 'Astrid'? In the first scene alone, I was facing a huge barrier to my enjoyment - the constant thought that it was not the book series that I knew from my primary and (very early) secondary school years.
And what was it with the species? The dragon species. They were all wrong! Sure, Gronckles were there, but why did they look like that?
I couldn't understand it.
And then came the Night Fury.
All doubts in my mind were swept away by the sudden appearance of that dark dragon from hell. Blasting away each pillar as it came, I did not know anything about it. And what interested me most - neither did Hiccup.
The film progressed. The Night Fury was good, and that was Toothless. A small voice in my head said something like;
"This is all wrong. Surely, Toothless must be a small common-or-garden dragon! It's how it must be!"
But I could barely hear it. Partially because the house had a huge surround-sound system, but mostly because I thought it was... *gulp*... better.
Yep. I said it. I knew that all films were meant to be worse than the books. It was a law of nature.
But was this actually better?
The story captivated me more than the books did, but the humour still satisfied my craving for the original values of jokes and laughter.
Each character had depth of emotion, moreso than the books. You could feel what they felt, and the voice acting was exquisite. Even with a great imagination, one could not come up with better-suited voices for the characters (except Valka in the second movie... Sheesh.)
I was more captivated than even when I read the first few lines in the second book. Moreso than when the Green Death nearly ate Hiccup. More even than when I learned the meaning of 'parka di botty, forsakes di Woden, or me do di girly boo hoo'...
I have to say that everything about the films captivated me. Even the few imperfections served as a reminder that it is happening for me - every time I watch either film. The score has made me laugh, cry and ponder, sometimes even at the same time. (Not Stoick's Ship, though. That's just crying...)
That's why I think that the films are better than the books.

Whew... Must be the 'end of school' vibe. I feel like I want to write 1,000 words for every response I give...
I HAVE RETURNED!

Did you miss me?