Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
  • Pages:
Just finished book one!
Topic Started: 18 Sep 2014, 21:22 (2680 Views)
thenightandthefury
Gronckle

Ok so I have checked out three of the first How to Train your dragon books, the 2nd and 3rd yesterday and the 1rst today. (since they didn't have the first yesterday)

I waited until I got the first book to read any of it. Got it tonight and started reading before supper around 3 pm finished around 7:45 pm, with supper in between.

I must say I enjoyed it. The worlds are two completely different things, though I can see the storylines loosely following each other, or the movie loosely following the books.

In the first one it is almost like Book Berk is a few generations ahead of what Movie Berk is. (Yes I am calling it book berk and movie berk) In the books world, the hooligans must capture and train a dragon to become a viking. In the movies world, they must train to defend themselves from one and kill one to be a member, where as in the books they must have successfully trained one.

Similarly to the books, Hiccup does get one of the two smallest dragons, as his and Fishlegs are the smallest dragons. Granted in the book Hiccups is the smallest by some incredible measure, but Toothless in the movie is still smaller then all the other dragons in the first movie save for Meatlug. This I saw since Fishlegs was the only other person in the book to have a lesser dragon, although not a gronckle in the book but a lesser dragon nonetheless.

Now I have heard spoilers about the books so I already know what species Toothless really is. The fact that they joked about it in the beginning amuses me.

Dragons in the books can speak dragonese, and Hiccup is the only one who can. In the books dragons are considered lesser species, who need to be yelled at to obey. As someone mentioned on here recently, that very much matches how Drago interacts with dragons. I recallled this as the "Viking scream" or something that they gave after telling the dragons to go away. It was described as being a "horrifying, electrifying shriek that begins as by memicking the yell of a furious predator, which then turns into the victims scream of pure terror, and ends as a horribly realisitc imitation of him choking on his own blood."

That kind of primal yell I think HTTYD 2 kind of nailed with Drago. Book reference?

Another thing I noticed was that Snotlout still had a nightmare in the movie, and it was one that Stoick owned in the books. Stoick owned Hookfang, and in the movie Snotlout tames Hookfang.

Another thing I was pleanantly surprised with is how the sketches resembled the movies dragons. The gronckle looked a lot the same, as did the monsterous nightmare.

Oh and if anyone remembers in the series when they were training terrible terrors, it is indeed just like in the books when Hiccup perches one on his arm, and in the books they must do that for training before telling it to go.

Anywho so if anyone wants to join in my excitement post here.. XD No spoilers please.
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

BerserkDragon
antisocial british nerd with a youtube channel

I'm already a few books in but I'll join in your excitement! XD
Me? An otaku? Pfff.

Yes I do like dragons if you're wondering. Doesn't seem like it from my profile pic n signature, I know, but I do.

Toothless123
Night Fury

Oh yeah, the 'primal yell' thing... I remember reading that part and thinking, "This sounds familiar..." :P I might make a quote parody of it... :P

I also remember that I got the first HTTYD book as a Christmas present (maybe Christmas 2012 or something) and we went to my auntie's house later that Christmas Day, and I was lying down in my sleeping bag, just reading it.... I think I opened it back up, and started reading it at the Thor'sday Thursday part, from where I left off last time... :P

Johntheoceanzap
Dragon Egg

I finished book 11 and am a waiting book 12 when ever it comes out. :)

BerserkDragon
antisocial british nerd with a youtube channel

Johntheoceanzap
20 Sep 2014, 18:12
Same here! :D But I think Cressida will release it in maybe 2016 or 2017 because apparently the books and HTTYD 3 will end in the same way, so it might give away some spoilers if she releases it before...
I WANNA READ IT XD
Me? An otaku? Pfff.

Yes I do like dragons if you're wondering. Doesn't seem like it from my profile pic n signature, I know, but I do.

Toothless123
Night Fury

thenightandthefury
19 Sep 2014, 01:22
That kind of primal yell I think HTTYD 2 kind of nailed with Drago. Book reference?
Maybe they might mention that in the Dragons 2 DVD commentary. ;)

ChinesischSchluckauf

[b]
[color=blue]Shut up, Mokuba!
[/color]
[/b]

Book 1 was nice, but my favourite is Book 7
Did anybody else notice my signature has shrunk?

SilaNightFury
Lemon Guru and Cloudjumper Fangirl~

BerserkDragon
21 Sep 2014, 17:25
Johntheoceanzap
Same here! :D But I think Cressida will release it in maybe 2016 or 2017 because apparently the books and HTTYD 3 will end in the same way, so it might give away some spoilers if she releases it before...
I WANNA READ IT XD
I NEED THIS BOOK NOW!!!!!!! XD I can't wait much longer!!
^_^

Hope_and_Heir

[color=#B40431]Winner of Shnuckle's Oneshot Fanfiction Contest 2014
[/color]

SilaNightFury
26 Sep 2014, 21:00
BerserkDragon
21 Sep 2014, 17:25
Johntheoceanzap
I WANNA READ IT XD
I NEED THIS BOOK NOW!!!!!!! XD I can't wait much longer!!
That's a terrible reason to release the book later.... I mean if they come out at the same time one would still give an ending spoiler to the other.... If you read the book first it'll spoil the movie. If you watch the movie first it'll spoil the book so... Making them come out at the same time seems like a really odd idea. Plus they only share their endings.... We pretty much know the ending. So really isn't it already spoiled?
'There Were Dragons When I Was A Boy…'

Rocky Rose
Deadly Nadder

I finished Book 1 a few days ago and now I'm in the middle of Book 2 :)
"I saw him, and I saw myself."- Hiccup
"With Vikings on the backs of dragons, the world just got a whole lot bigger."

Addicted to DRAGONS :D

My Devianart
My Tumblr (I'm on there ALOT) Nightfury326