Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Exploring the books for the first time
Topic Started: 24 Feb 2018, 12:38 (8033 Views)
igix
FLABSLAB - Fly Like A Butterfly ...

I managed to find a nice audiobook playlist on youtube of David Tennant for the whole how to train your dragon series.

Although i love reading books and exploring what the author intended, i just can't help but feel the utter urge to know what it's really like in the books of HTTYD as opposed to what many of us know in the films and of course the tv show on netflix.

I may be asking a lot, and i don't think i'll get many replies since there's so many books and therefore a lot of content to cover but...

If some kind soul could paraphrase all the largest disparities between the films/shows against the books i would love to read it.

Thanks all,

From a loving HTTYD fan.. igix

EDIT: Scratch that, after reading some material and reading some comparisons the books and movies are COMPLETELY different... Toothless is some common small dragon? eh... oh well... and there's characters never heard of. Damn.
A Chief protects his own
Valka: Oh, when I'm up here, I don't even feel the cold, I just feel… Hiccup: Free
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

Hope_and_Heir

[color=#B40431]Winner of Shnuckle's Oneshot Fanfiction Contest 2014
[/color]

igix
24 Feb 2018, 16:38
I managed to find a nice audiobook playlist on youtube of David Tennant for the whole how to train your dragon series.

Although i love reading books and exploring what the author intended, i just can't help but feel the utter urge to know what it's really like in the books of HTTYD as opposed to what many of us know in the films and of course the tv show on netflix.

I may be asking a lot, and i don't think i'll get many replies since there's so many books and therefore a lot of content to cover but...

If some kind soul could paraphrase all the largest disparities between the films/shows against the books i would love to read it.

Thanks all,

From a loving HTTYD fan.. igix

EDIT: Scratch that, after reading some material and reading some comparisons the books and movies are COMPLETELY different... Toothless is some common small dragon? eh... oh well... and there's characters never heard of. Damn.

We book fans completely regard the movies and books as two separate entities. Depending on what kind of things you enjoy, you'll tend to lean toward one or the other. You should totally give them a chance though. What movie fandom folks usually do is read the first book and throw it out because it's not as much of a 'spectacle' that the movie was, but it's an unfair judgement. I openly suggest reading the second book very soon after the first, because yes. I'll admit it. The first book is. Far from the best book within this series, but if you stop, you'll never truly see the reasons that this book series reaches an emotional and complex level that the movies will /never/ capture. The movies are wonderful, but are their own thing and will never go as deep as 12 books can go.
'There Were Dragons When I Was A Boy…'

Tuffnut'sChicken
B-BAWK!

GAK! I'm several books in and I forgot that I'm in the middle of the series! This was a great reminder because now I'm recalling the cliffhanger I was on!

From what I've read so far, the content is different but a lot of the spirit of the two is similar. Plus, there are a couple places where the movies and series will do little nods to the books. But as Hope and Heir said, don't let the first book determine your judgment for the whole series. I felt kinda eeeeehhhhhh about the first one but I loved the next several.
Clouds of corn <3

igix
FLABSLAB - Fly Like A Butterfly ...

Tuffnut'sChicken
25 Feb 2018, 01:50
GAK! I'm several books in and I forgot that I'm in the middle of the series! This was a great reminder because now I'm recalling the cliffhanger I was on!

From what I've read so far, the content is different but a lot of the spirit of the two is similar. Plus, there are a couple places where the movies and series will do little nods to the books. But as Hope and Heir said, don't let the first book determine your judgment for the whole series. I felt kinda eeeeehhhhhh about the first one but I loved the next several.
Ahh, i see, well it does peak my interest to have a look at the books. I really did enjoy (and still enjoy) the show/film storyline and content. Now that season 6 is over and I've watched the second film like 8 times there's not much content out there!

So the books seemed interesting, then I learned they're totally different by reading the synopsis of each book on the HTTYD wiki :)

A Chief protects his own
Valka: Oh, when I'm up here, I don't even feel the cold, I just feel… Hiccup: Free

Sparrowhawk
average space enthusiast

I think I’ve read the first 3 books, and then stopped. I honestly prefer paper reading, and my ebook/audiobook online library only has the audio. The actual library is renovating. And I don’t really wanna spend my parents money on 12 books. So I’m biding my time.
Engineer and Pyromaniac. What's not to love?

I plan to send a rocket to the edge of space before I turn 25
GO TEAM
P A T H E T I C ! ! !
Yahoo!!
:nightfuryegg: :toothless: :nightfuryegg:

Hope_and_Heir

[color=#B40431]Winner of Shnuckle's Oneshot Fanfiction Contest 2014
[/color]

Sparrowhawk
26 Feb 2018, 00:51
I think I’ve read the first 3 books, and then stopped. I honestly prefer paper reading, and my ebook/audiobook online library only has the audio. The actual library is renovating. And I don’t really wanna spend my parents money on 12 books. So I’m biding my time.
Do you have any used books stores anywhere?
'There Were Dragons When I Was A Boy…'

Sparrowhawk
average space enthusiast

Online one called AbeBooks, but no bookstores other than Barnes & Noble, which I’m pretty sure doesn’t do used books.
Engineer and Pyromaniac. What's not to love?

I plan to send a rocket to the edge of space before I turn 25
GO TEAM
P A T H E T I C ! ! !
Yahoo!!
:nightfuryegg: :toothless: :nightfuryegg:

ScarlettHofferson
Normal is the absence of crazy. In short, boring.

there is also a site called thriftbooks.com that has hard covers of the whole series for 3 dollars or something i think
My Art Thread-My DeviantArt