Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
  • Pages:
Welcome to the new forums!; Some new info about the new forums.
Topic Started: 29 Oct 2018, 20:04 (6251 Views)
hictooth
Archivist of Berk

Welcome to the new forums!

Welcome! If you're reading this, then you've found and logged into the new forums! :)

You're probably finding and thinking that they look almost identical to the old ones - which is great! However, in reality the forums are actually an entirely different platform, running on a different server, completely different to the old forums. As such, there will be things that are different. In particular in the User Control Panel things will look different, as different features will be supported.

There may also be things that are broken. Although I've worked very hard on these new forums, there most likely will be bugs and issues - hopefully nothing major! If you spot something that doesn't look right, make a new post in the Suggestions & Improvements section and I'll try and fix it as soon as possible.

Below I've summarised some of the main things to consider with these new forums.

PMs

After you've logged in for the first time, your PMs should be automatically imported across from the old forums. This will take a few minutes after your first login, so if you don't see anything immediately don't worry - wait a bit and have a look again. If you've waited and they're still not there, open a thread in Suggestions & Improvements and I'll have a look.

Changes!

The new forums have a number of changes from the old ones that you might like to be aware of:
  • New feature: Group PMs - have a PM with more than two people!
  • New feature: Notifications - you'll get notified when someone quotes you in a reply
  • Polls - there was no way to migrate over who has voted in all polls, which means that all polls are now open again, so if you wanted you could re-vote in all of them
  • Unread topics - likewise, there was no way to migrate over what threads everyone had read or not, and therefore everything has been marked as read for everyone
  • User statuses - Sadly setting a status text on your profile isn't possible with the new forums
  • HTTPS - The forums are now served over HTTPS! This probably won't directly affect anyone, but it's a good thing to have.

Suggestions & Improvements!

The new forums run on the phpBB forum software, which is very very flexible and customisable. It should therefore be possible to do a whole lot more than what we could do on the old forum. If you have ideas, make a new topic in Suggestions & Improvements and I can try and implement some of them.

Not Safe For Berk
The Not Safe For Berk is a NSFW group on here that allows you to see a couple of forum sections that contain NSFW content. This existed on the old forums, but I'm not sure how many people were actually aware of it. To join it, you need to go to Preferences -> UserGroups, and join the NSFB group.

Looking forward to seeing you all on here!

hictooth
Astrid - "Hictooth"?
Hiccup - Yeah, it's not my snappiest comeback.
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

Dragonrider's Fury
Skrill

I'm early. But thanks for the welcome/information! It'll be good to be able to use the forums once more. Again, thank you for all you've done for us. It is very appreciated! :D
Proverbs 25:11

A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in pictures of silver.
Proverbs 15:1

A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger.

Team Pathetic Banner

Awesome Secret Odin 2019 GIFt set from Inhonoredglory. Thanks a ton! :-D

hictooth
Archivist of Berk

I should also add that for the nerdy technical people (and those who are just interested), all the code for the custom style, extensions, TapaTalk integration, etc, can be found at https://github.com/hictooth
Astrid - "Hictooth"?
Hiccup - Yeah, it's not my snappiest comeback.

Theotherunknown
There were dragons, when I was a boy...

Hooray for HTTPS! The fact that the old fourm didn't have it always concerned me.
How many times must I fix my signature over the years?

Night_Stalker
Dragon Trainer class 5

so happy to be back on here been to long hahah nice work Hictooth

OC: Oliver and Storm

Heather the Berserker
I go where no one goes

*dances wildly around the Grapevine Fire in a celebration dance*
Bear the flame

NightFury2001
Has left

Yay! Thank you for making this happen Hictooth, I don't know what we would have done without you lol.
https://nightfury2001.carrd.co/

Shnuckles
Deadly Nadder

Huzza! I loved the old forum, glad it's back!

Joel
What should I put here..

Can I get a hip hip hooray and a big thanks to hictooth for doing all of this :)

Light Fury
Cape Starling

Love your work Hictooth! I hope more upgrades will be on the way :) . Also, hooray for HTTPS!

Brother in arms of the forgotten disaster branch, Saturn Starlings.