Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
  • Pages:
Should the forums be publicly viewable?
Yes 26 (81%)
No 6 (19%)

Poll: Should the forums be publicly viewable?
Topic Started: 02 Feb 2019, 08:48 (5316 Views)
hictooth
Archivist of Berk

With the release of HTTYD3 I was considering making these forums publicly accessible, meaning you wouldn't need an account to view the topics and posts, but you would to be able to post.

There might be a few people that having seen HTTYD3 want to join the forums, but having them closed off until you register can be a little bit of a barrier to new people joining, so I thought that opening them up would help with this. Plus Google and other search engines will be able to index all the posts, so any time someone searches for a httyd related thing that's been posted here, that'll show up.

Please do vote in the poll above, and if you've got any further comments just leave a reply to this topic.
Astrid - "Hictooth"?
Hiccup - Yeah, it's not my snappiest comeback.
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

Light Fury
Cape Starling

I'm 100% for this. I'm sure we'll all benefit from some more people joining the family.

Brother in arms of the forgotten disaster branch, Saturn Starlings.

SacredFir
Dragon Egg

hictooth
02 Feb 2019, 08:48
Please do vote in the poll above, and if you've got any further comments just leave a reply to this topic.
This was a hard choice. I voted yes, because I would really love for this place to not die off. I guess is because I am a rather private person, and the fact that only the people registered here could see everything is kinda nice. But again, new people would be good.
Those who see, cannot be. Those who are to be, cannot see. -Unknown

ScarlettHofferson
Normal is the absence of crazy. In short, boring.

I agree with Fir. While I like it being somewhat private, I think keeping the fandom alive as long as possible is more important
My Art Thread-My DeviantArt

hictooth
Archivist of Berk

If there are specific sections that people would prefer to stay private, I can do that too. I'm open to any ideas on this.
Astrid - "Hictooth"?

Dragondog
Female Winged Wonder

The only thing that keeps me from voting yes is the idea of certain banned creepers being able to see our posts when not logged in :/

But otherwise I'd be all for it :)
"When something looks too perfect, it probably sucks" - Tuffnut

"Sticks and stones may break your bones, but I will break your neck" - Hank the Cowdog
GO TEAM
P A T H E T I C ! ! !
Yahoo!!
:nightfuryegg: :toothless: :nightfuryegg:

hictooth
Archivist of Berk

Dragondog
03 Feb 2019, 04:05
The only thing that keeps me from voting yes is the idea of certain banned creepers being able to see our posts when not logged in :/

But otherwise I'd be all for it :)
My only argument to that is that there's no restrictions on who signs up, meaning that anyone can simply sign up and see all the posts anyway. The person who I think you're referring to actually has (had - I've just banned him) an account on here anyway.

At the moment I'm still working out what's best to do. 24% of you saying No is not a small percentage, and I want to do what's best for everyone on here.

If anyone has any ideas (ie. only make public specific sections, etc.) you can either reply to this topic, or PM me.
Astrid - "Hictooth"?

Light Fury
Cape Starling

I think making only certain sections public would be a good idea. Perhaps just the HTTYD3 section and all of Outcast Island?

Brother in arms of the forgotten disaster branch, Saturn Starlings.

hictooth
Archivist of Berk

I think it would be a good idea to hide The Great Hall (especially Introduce Yourself), as that's not relevant to guests.

I'd like to have all of Dragon Island visible as that's what will pull new people in.

It would be nice to have Fan Work and Outcast Island visible too, as those are the more-active sections, however I can slightly more understand people wanting their art and stories hidden. Having said that, do remember that signing up for an account is easy, and anyone can do it, at which point they can see everything anyway.
Astrid - "Hictooth"?

Dragondog
Female Winged Wonder

My point is that if someone's banned, can't they still sign out and then see what's posted? (And he's pretty much the only "creep" I'm worried about)
"When something looks too perfect, it probably sucks" - Tuffnut

"Sticks and stones may break your bones, but I will break your neck" - Hank the Cowdog
GO TEAM
P A T H E T I C ! ! !
Yahoo!!
:nightfuryegg: :toothless: :nightfuryegg: