Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to the Masquerade
Topic Started: 03 Jul 2016, 03:52 (1481 Views)
Toothless123
Night Fury

So I have this new fanfic that I want to write. :D I haven't made enough progress on it yet for it to be worth posting yet, but I have written the synopsis.

Welcome to the Masquerade
"From the time he could crawl he's been... different." Stoick was right about that, but not in the sense that he'd expected. Hiccup was opposed from him, a paragon of a Viking, because he had agreed to follow Drago when all the other Chieftains had not. So he did not have the heart of a Chief, but he did have the soul of a dragon - because when his master tasked him with expanding his dragon army, Hiccup hoped that he might be able to convince Drago that dragons were good. Instead, however, things go the way that Drago wants them to, and Hiccup slowly starts to become his mask... (Evil!Hiccup; this fanfic might seem similar to "Feral", but since this doesn't have Pahun in it then that's okay - I thought he was sort of stealing Hiccup's limelight a bit; title is named after the same song by Thousand Foot Krutch - chosen because it's such a good bit of music!)

So... that's the outline, but I just wanted to see if you guys had any thoughts on it. Maybe some ideas of your own for it, 'cause I'm sure they'll be better than mine. ^_^ I'm not being modest; I really mean that. ;)
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

Alicia
Grape Master

I'm not really a fan of AUs and different Hiccup's because I'm very fond of the way the world has been created already, but this sounds really good! I would genuinely be interested to read this, especially of you sneakily wove in some use of Hiccup's inventing skills, like maybe he could you his fire sword for something (...I just love seeing how creative people can be, okay? It always amazes me how people can weave in canon ideas with non canon works!)

Oh look, that idea was definitely not better than yours! ;) :P
"You have the heart of a chief and the soul of a dragon..." ~ Valka, How To Train Your Dragon 2

Toothless123
Night Fury

Thank you! :D

I might try out your suggestion, but could you give me an idea? ^_^ (Like how could I tie in some of Hiccup's inventing skills, and what could I use his firesword for :) )

Haha! ;)

Toothless123
Night Fury

Here's the first chapter! :D
"Or maybe you need dragons to control people. To control those who follow you." Hiccup's expression took on an intensity. "And to get rid of those who won't."
Drago laughed. "Clever boy." His expression became murderous with terrifying abruptness, and Toothless snarled as the man started to walk towards Hiccup.
Now Toothless was the one walking towards Hiccup, who tried to plead to his Night Fury - but his implores fell on deaf ears, vibrating with the Alpha's control. It was this that made Hiccup realise that he should be pleading with someone else.
"Drago!" Hiccup yelled. "You don't need to kill me! I didn't realise you were going to! I didn't know what you meant, and I didn't mean that I wouldn't follow you!"
Drago was incredulous. "Really?" He pointed his staff away from the Bewilderbeast, and it relinquished its hold over Toothless.
"Yes."
The staff was swung into Hiccup's prosthetic leg with brutal suddenness, and the impact juddered up it, making him fall to his knees.
Drago pointed his staff at the Bewilderbeast again, and then at Toothless, whose pupils turned to slits again - but he had presumably not been ordered to kill Hiccup, for he followed behind him and Drago with no homicidal intentions.
Drago hooked his staff around Hiccup's neck, and used it to lift him up and stand him on the ground again.
"I was going to use my staff to pull you along by your leg, but you're going to be using it to ride your Night Fury, and I don't want you to not be able to fly him," Drago said.
"To where? Where are we going?"
Drago grinned. "I want to test out my Alpha's control over dragons, so we're going to Berk."
They did indeed go to Berk.
Upon entering the village, Hiccup could hear voices. More specifically, one voice.
Astrid's.
"Okay everyone, listen up! This is Operation: Rescue Hiccup!"
Oh, gods.
Despite his misgivings, he made himself search for the source of the sound, and it turned out to be coming from the plaza.
Astrid was shouting so loudly that she didn't, along with everybody else, hear Toothless' wingbeats. So Drago decided to otherwise announce their presence. After growling, "Well done, Dragon Master," to Hiccup, he took a deep breath and screamed, one of his horrible ones.
The village did the same thing as Hiccup's ears - they both rang due to Drago's scream, which the Bewilderbeast picked up and joined in with, summoning Berk's dragons, and the villagers turned around and waited for Drago to speak.
Before that, though, Drago hooked his staff around Toothless' side - Hiccup had yelled "No!", thinking that the man had hooked the weapon into the Night Fury - and pulled the handle of his staff, so that Hiccup became unseated, and fell to the ground. His ears still seemed to be ringing, for he covered them, and pressed his head into the ground, in order to obtain some relief from his headache.
Drago lowered Toothless, and looked as if he might use his staff to grab Hiccup by the collar and haul him upright, but then he saw Astrid walking up to Hiccup, and, thinking that she might do the same thing, didn't do what he was going to.
"Here." Astrid offered Hiccup her hand.
When she did that, he hated himself. How dare she do that, when he didn't deserve her kindness; when he had joined Drago!
"No!" he yelled, trying to slap her hand and hitting empty air. "Go away! You don't deserve me! I don't deserve you!"
She recoiled, and saw the pain in his eyes despite the fire in his words, and she might've forgiven him upon seeing that - but then Drago climbed off Toothless, grinning, and stepped in front of Hiccup, forcing her to step back from him, and into the crowd.
"Your Dragon Master is mine now." Drago turned his head to the crowd to say those words, and then he lifted his foot, and forced it down onto Hiccup's head.
Stoick looked thunderous.
Fearing that Hiccup's father's rage was intended for him, Drago hastily removed his foot from Hiccup's skull, and walked very quickly past the Chief, treating the crowd to his ensuing words.
Seeing his father walking towards him, Hiccup tried to mask his fear with a smile, and said, "O-ouch, n-now my head hurts even m-more."
Stoick didn't smile back.
Upon getting to him, Stoick opened his mouth and spoke with an awful cold anger.
"I always knew you were different. From the time you could crawl. And when I saved you from drowning five years ago - remember that? - I accepted your difference, embraced it, called you The Pride of Berk for it. Now I'm not so sure that it was the right choice. In fact, I know it wasn't."
Hiccup wanted to protest - he yearned to say that it was the right choice; he was still the Pride of Berk. He was doing this to convince Drago that dragons were good, wasn't he? But he couldn't say the words, especially not that last part. He didn't want his plot to be overheard.
Stoick took his silence for agreement or shame, and it only made him angrier, gave him more fire to continue. "You're not my son, Hiccup. You're not like me - you didn't do what I did, you didn't refuse to pledge allegiance to Drago. You're not The Pride of Berk, you're the Shame of it. And so, Shame of Berk, you are dead to me, for as long as you maintain the name that I have given you."
He glared at Hiccup for a moment in silence, and then turned and walked off.
Astrid came forward to him where Stoick had left him, and she offered him her hand - but tentatively, as if she feared that she might burn her fingers if she touched him.
He accepted it, and then felt like he hated himself again, and Astrid sensed that in him, and squeezed his hand tightly; she wouldn't let him pull away. She traced his palm with her thumb, and he felt goosebumps rise on his skin, as if she was cold, but she wasn't. She was warm - warmer than him, anyway.
She frowned suddenly. "A scar. You've got a scar."
He shrugged. "Yeah."
"How'd you get it?"
"Drago." He grinned. "On the way, he let me ride Toothless - but I bet he wishes he didn't. I tried to show him-"
Astrid nodded.
"-and well, it didn't work. I teased him a little by starting out like Toothless had with you when you had your flight - and I only got that far. He used his staff to pull on Toothless' reins and stop him, and the hook on the back of the staff cut my palm. I wouldn't let go of Toothless' reins to let him take control, so that was my punishment."
Astrid wondered if Drago would punish Hiccup any more. Probably.
She pulled him up, and suddenly, because Stoick had disowned him, his legs went numb, and shaky, and he couldn't feel them.
Drago seemed to have finished talking, and it also seemed like he had convinced the villagers that Hiccup was evil.
Somebody failed to be convinced, however.
Ulfr.
Ulfr had been born on the day that peace with dragons had been achieved, but his mother and father had died. His father had been given a fatal wound by a dragon on a raid, and he had to be left to die, as nobody could treat his wound. It took days for him to bleed out, and when he finally met his demise, Ulfr's mother died due to grief, but she managed to give birth to Ulfr.
The little boy ran over to his one-legged idol, yelling, "I still like you, Hiccup, even if nobody else does!"
"Ulfr!" somebody yelled, and since Ulfr didn't have any parents, Hiccup assumed - and correctly guessed - that the somebody was Eret.
The former dragon trapper ran up to Hiccup's little admirer, and scooped him up in his arms. "Now, you listen to me, Ulfr," he said, with rare sternness in his tone - he didn't often get cross with children. "Don't go near him, okay? He's evil."
Eret's brown eyes looked up from Ulfr, who was nodding, and went to Hiccup, giving him a look of disgust. His hands went to the neck of his tunic, and pulled it down, exposing the mark on his chest.
"Getting that mark hurt," he said, "but not as much as your decision."
Hiccup realised that his choice probably affected Eret most of all, since he used to be a follower of Drago, as his mark testified.
His mark.
Since Hiccup was not going to become a Chieftain, he knew that he wasn't going to get the mark of one - but Eret already had a mark, and he had left Drago and was hopefully firmly on the side of good.
Stoick was probably going to make Eret Chief, because he and Hiccup were foils of each other.
Eret was about to pull his tunic up again, but he didn't get that far, because he heard wingbeats above him, and placed Ulfr down on the ground before Toothless' claws reached out to grab him.
You see, after Drago had finished talking to the villagers, he returned to Toothless, and upon seeing Eret's mark, recognised him, flew over to him, and Toothless picked him up.
Both Astrid and Ruffnut yelled his name, but Astrid was the only one who ran after him, trying to grab him.
Drago decided to humour her, and as such he turned around to his Bewilderbeast, pointed his staff at Stormfly, and then at the Bewilderbeast, and then moved the weapon away from it.
The Bewilderbeast understood what he meant, and looked away, so that Stormfly was released from its control.
She flew over to Astrid, who climbed onto her, and the Nadder took off just as Toothless grabbed Hiccup in his claws as well, and flew off with him.
Astrid only hoped that she'd been feeding the Nadder enough chicken.
However, as Stormfly was able to keep pace with Toothless and fly alongside him, it appeared that she had.
The Nadder extended her claws, and grabbed hold of Eret's arms, trying to tug him out of Toothless' talons, but it didn't work. Astrid doubted that the Night Fury even felt Stormfly's attempts, he was so deep in the trance and obedience to the Alpha.
Drago decided that he'd had enough of Astrid, and he pushed her off Stormfly.
"Astrid!" Hiccup screamed, and struggled desperately in Toothless' talons. Humouring him, Drago reached over and used his staff to grab him by the back of the collar, and lifted him onto Toothless.
Without hesitation, Hiccup got Toothless to dive down in the hope that he could rescue Astrid.
But he didn't.
He was too late.
Drago was too late.
Astrid hit the ground, and didn't move.
His heart and stomach plummeted, just as she had, and where they had fallen, something else inside him rose. Something hot, something that replaced the coldness that he had been feeling with fire.
Hiccup roared, and turned around to attack Drago, drawing his knife from its strap on the forearm of his armour.
Drago reached out his hand to grab Toothless' reins, in order to steer him to stop him crashing into anything, as Hiccup was too busy attacking him to ride his dragon.
On the way to doing that, though, he disarmed Hiccup, and took his knife, and once he'd righted Toothless, he grabbed Hiccup's hair, making him gasp in pain, and pulled his head back, exposing his throat.
This is it, Hiccup thought. He's going to cut my throat and I'm going to die.
Due to being convinced of that, Hiccup was surprised when Drago grabbed him by the throat instead of cutting it, and started to strangle him, and then accomplished the same thing by putting his forearm on Hiccup's windpipe, using his hand to control Toothless' reins, making him fly up, up, up...
The sun was bright in Hiccup's eyes as Toothless ascended, so it confused him when everything started to go dark, and he felt like he was falling down.
I hope you enjoyed the chapter! :)

Toothless123
Night Fury

Guys, I'm a little scared that I'll forget to post the ensuing chapters here as well as on my Deviantart account, so I'll just post the link to where I put them:

http://alphatoothless.deviantart.com/journal/