Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
How To Train Your Dragon 2 DVD release
Topic Started: 19 Jun 2014, 00:11 (8328 Views)
NightoftheFury
Shhh...Toothless is watching

Zer0x

A Video-CD. It's like a low quality version of a DVD.
Speaking about quality, you don't know how much I would love a special edition of HTTYD2 in 4k. That would just be awesome. But it probably wont happen seeing no one *cough Sony cough* seems interested in standardizing a 4k medium :( . I can still dream can't I?

But the release date will most definitely be before the year ends so maybe Nov. I really want to see some of the behind the scenes stuff/deleted scenes for this movie.

PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

Toothless
the unholy offspring of lightning and death itself

When it comes out I will buy all dragons media and stop streaming it all online

mr.k.c.w.
Dragon fan in Hong Kong
[b](Above this title is a very dorky Hiccup.)
[/b]

NightoftheFury
19 Jun 2014, 04:11
Speaking about quality, you don't know how much I would love a special edition of HTTYD2 in 4k. That would just be awesome. But it probably wont happen seeing no one *cough Sony cough* seems interested in standardizing a 4k medium :( . I can still dream can't I?
Uh...Isn't current industry standards shoot and display movies in cinema in 2K? I'm not sure what resolution that DreamWorks used to make their animation but if they made it in 2K, why would they upscale it to 4K? Wouldn't that will make the quality decrease a bit, theoretically?
Nothing is in this signature, except this sentence describing that there is nothing in this signature.

Seriously, I, [INSERT USERNAME HERE] have nothing to say here. Continue on with your viewing of not-so regularly scheduled posts.

[INSERT CALMING, SUITABLE FOR READING MUSIC]

Sorry to interrupt, I just wanna say....uh...what was I trying to say again? Never mind, continue reading.

Zer0x

[b]Banhammerdragon
[/b]

NightoftheFury
19 Jun 2014, 04:11
Zer0x

A Video-CD. It's like a low quality version of a DVD.

But the release date will most definitely be before the year ends so maybe Nov. I really want to see some of the behind the scenes stuff/deleted scenes for this movie.
Even the Sony Blu-Rays aren't in 'real' 4k, they are remastered, that means they are upscaled and sharpened. It is better than the internal upscalers from TVs or BD-players, but doesn't contain the additional 4k informations. BTW, it wouldn't look better on a normal FullHD TV.

mr.k.c.w.
19 Jun 2014, 04:57

Uh...Isn't current industry standards shoot and display movies in cinema in 2K? I'm not sure what resolution that DreamWorks used to make their animation but if they made it in 2K, why would they upscale it to 4K? Wouldn't that will make the quality decrease a bit, theoretically?
Where do you got this information's? Movies are always filmed in at least 4k resolution, even when you film with an analogue 35mm film you could extract up to 6k lines.
The advantage of animated movies is, that you don't have the constraints of a real film camera. There are no failures, you have always HDR contrast, the color range is nearly endless and you can film in even 20k when you find a video codec that supports it.
Normally, animated movies are filmed in 6k.

Additional information's:

4k in cinema isn't the same as for TV. A '4k TV' is a wrong term. 4k is everything that have at least 4096 horizontal lines. 4k TVs have only 3840 horizontal lines. 'QuadFullHD TV' would be a better term, because it has 4 times the pixel of a FullHD TV, but it sounds stupid, that's why the electronics industry named it also 4k.
UNAMUSED

No, I'm serious....stop it..

mr.k.c.w.
Dragon fan in Hong Kong
[b](Above this title is a very dorky Hiccup.)
[/b]

Zer0x
19 Jun 2014, 08:06
mr.k.c.w.
19 Jun 2014, 04:57

Where do you got this information's? Movies are always filmed in at least 4k resolution, even when you film with an analogue 35mm film you could extract up to 6k lines.
The advantage of animated movies is, that you don't have the constraints of a real film camera. There are no failures, you have always HDR contrast, the color range is nearly endless and you can film in even 20k when you find a video codec that supports it.
I remember hearing it somewhere before, just forgot when and where. Maybe I was thinking of the film industry here in Hong Kong, it would make some sense, but not a lot, or maybe, I got confused between production resolution and the display resolution in cinemas.

Also, no wonder a movie nowadays needs at least 10 million for a budget. I bet that just the filming equipment alone takes at least a million.
Nothing is in this signature, except this sentence describing that there is nothing in this signature.

Seriously, I, [INSERT USERNAME HERE] have nothing to say here. Continue on with your viewing of not-so regularly scheduled posts.

[INSERT CALMING, SUITABLE FOR READING MUSIC]

Sorry to interrupt, I just wanna say....uh...what was I trying to say again? Never mind, continue reading.

NightoftheFury

Zer0x

Even the Sony Blu-Rays aren't in 'real' 4k, they are remastered, that means they are upscaled and sharpened. It is better than the internal upscalers from TVs or BD-players, but doesn't contain the additional 4k informations. BTW, it wouldn't look better on a normal FullHD TV.
I'm not talking about the "mastered in 4k" marketing crap that Sony has. I'm talking true 4k, you know 3840x2160, 12 or 16 bits per channel and final size (for a movie like Dragons2) somewhere north of 150GB. This would be the same quality as the DCPs that digital movie theaters get. DCPs are Digital Cinema Packages and arrive on encrypted hard disk drives at theaters. They range anywhere from ~ 150-250GB depending on the movie length. I would guess that Dragons2 DCP is about 150GB (compare that to the ~25gb M2TS stream from the Blu Ray for the first movie).

I mentioned Sony because they, along with others, are experimenting with tri and quad layer discs to surpass the current BD-XL spec (50gb limit). They have tested BD up to 300gb which would be enough for a DCP quality 4k stream. But like you said, for that to work you'll need new BD players and 4k TVs. So it probably wont happen. We might get a 4k stream via Netflix using the shiny new HEVC 265 codec but that's also debatable.
Zer0x

Don't know if DreamWorks would bother outputting 6k. True for animations you can just set your resolution and color depth when you render, but like I said above DCPs don't go past 4k and TV and BD don't use 4k so I don't think they would render 6k. Would just put unnecessary strain on their storage subsystem and compute resources. My best guess...they rendered a high quality 4k DPX sequence (sequence of individual frames) with final size about 4.5TB. That quality should be plenty.

Zer0x

[b]Banhammerdragon
[/b]

NightoftheFury
19 Jun 2014, 18:21
I'm not talking about the "mastered in 4k" marketing crap that Sony has. I'm talking true 4k, you know 3840x2160, 12 or 16 bits per channel and final size (for a movie like Dragons2) somewhere north of 150GB. This would be the same quality as the DCPs that digital movie theaters get. DCPs are Digital Cinema Packages and arrive on encrypted hard disk drives at theaters. They range anywhere from ~ 150-250GB depending on the movie length. I would guess that Dragons2 DCP is about 150GB (compare that to the ~25gb M2TS stream from the Blu Ray for the first movie).
In my opinion, these are values you can only dream of at the moment.
Remember that h264 supports a maximum of 12 bit and that only with a 4:4:4 chroma subsampling. There would be needed completely new decoders in all players. The most TVs/projectors don't even support a color depth of 16 bits. 8 bit with 4:2:0 subsampling is the
current standard, there is a long way to go before we'll get more. At the moment, 4k is in my opinion a big joke for the consumer section.
Of course it would be awesome to have this at home, but it will take at least 5 years until we will really get it.

NightoftheFury
19 Jun 2014, 18:21

I mentioned Sony because they, along with others, are experimenting with tri and quad layer discs to surpass the current BD-XL spec (50gb limit). They have tested BD up to 300gb which would be enough for a DCP quality 4k stream. But like you said, for that to work you'll need new BD players and 4k TVs. So it probably wont happen. We might get a 4k stream via Netflix using the shiny new HEVC 265 codec but that's also debatable.
In my opinion, the Blu-Ray is a dead end. It's the same like with the DVD --> more layers instead of more information per layer. Who on earth uses a double layer DVD this days? HVD is the future of transportable media storage (if the clouds don't take over everything).

Zer0x

Don't know if DreamWorks would bother outputting 6k. True for animations you can just set your resolution and color depth when you render, but like I said above DCPs don't go past 4k and TV and BD don't use 4k so I don't think they would render 6k. Would just put unnecessary strain on their storage subsystem and compute resources. My best guess...they rendered a high quality 4k DPX sequence (sequence of individual frames) with final size about 4.5TB. That quality should be plenty.
[/quote]

Sorry, I don't have a source for the 6k rendering, I read somewhere in the past that it is a standard for animated movies. It is also a better option when the movie will be shown in IMAX to scale it up to the 8k+ resolution. But why should they render in an DPX sequence? There is no special effects department after the rendering, the scenes will only be cut together. It would need much more computing resources to do that with single frames instead of simple uncompressed video files which just have to be compressed to the version we see in cinemas.
UNAMUSED

No, I'm serious....stop it..

NightoftheFury

Zer0x

Of course it would be awesome to have this at home, but it will take at least 5 years until we will really get it.
Yeah I agree with you on the time. Realistically it will probably take 5-8 years until this stuff becomes standard. But me being well...me, just loves to play around with this kind of stuff :D .
Zer0x

In my opinion, the Blu-Ray is a dead end. It's the same like with the DVD --> more layers instead of more information per layer. Who on earth uses a double layer DVD this days? HVD is the future of transportable media storage (if the clouds don't take over everything).
Haven't heard of HVD until you mentioned it, but it looks promising. But I know, at least in the US, pretty much all movies are released on dual layer DVDs (DVD-R DL). As for the cloud, I doubt that will take over for a while. Until high speed broadband becomes more common (the slowness of US Broadband is a fine example :-/ ) we wont see physical media replaced. I've always favored completely ditching optical media and having movies ship on some type of flash based storage (think 1.8 or 2.5 SSD that slides into a player). An SSD would have more throughput, have the ability to self encrypt aka SED, (which studios are paranoid about these days) and most importantly they'll be much more reliable than optical discs because you cant scratch an SDD. Just what I would prefer to see. By the time the industry decides to change flash storage will be dirt cheap as well.
Zer0x

why should they render in an DPX sequence?
The DPX was just my guess. Your final output format need to be versatile and archive easily. DCPs require JPEG2000, Blu Rays require h.264 and Netflix might even want h.265 so the final format would need to be easily made into all of the above. DPX happened to come to mind. Heck, you can even send a DPX to the lab for a 35mm print (which I read is how a lot of studios still archive their films). A DPX is quite versitile so it was my guess. Who knows, seeing as DreamWorks custom wrote Apollo, I would not be surprised if they have a custom in house final format that can be be turned into anything else. Something like a .dw format sounds nice ^_^

ACMusicVids
Hatchling

In Denmark it's released the 23/11 2014 - the release in U.S usually is like a month or so earlier than here, so maybe you can take it from there :)

Dragon's Apprentice
Mr. Potato Sandwich

my rule would be (this is when i get it as opposed to when it launches)

Summer cinema release- Christmas DVD

but they're usually out a month or more before Christmas so Santa can make it in time without breaching copyright laws and leaking it early :)
"I was so afraid of becoming my dad. Mostly because I thought I never could. How do you become someone that great, that brave, that selfless? I guess you can only try."</3