Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
  • Pages:
John Powell on the score!
Topic Started: 03 May 2014, 04:35 (3288 Views)
Hiccupfriend
Terrible Terror

Just found some words of John Powell himself about the HTTYD 2 score in an interview about Rio 2:

Film music enthusiasts and fans of high-quality animated mythology are waiting with great anticipation for the release of How to Train Your Dragon 2 in June. The sequel score promises to restate some of the classic themes of the original. “It uses some of the same tunes but there are also lots of new tunes,” says Powell. “We have a big choir, a big orchestra. Everything is the same but it has a new set of characters and a whole new story. The characters have grown up since the last film so things are slightly different. It’s a maturation story.”

Don't know if everyone here knows. But after HTTYD 2 John Powell stops composing for films a while:

Powell is currently planning a sabbatical from film scoring to work on concert music, including a 45-minute oratorio devoted to the 100-year anniversary of World War I, but when he returns, he can surely expect a hero’s welcome from fans.

Source: http://www.internationalpolicydigest.or ... -symphony/
'I looked at him and saw myself' Hiccup
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

SplashTheScauldron
Most inactive ass in the fandom

Do you want to kill me? ANWESOME!
Yes, I ship Dagur and Hiccup.

I apologize for cringy posts I made some years ago

hiccupi
Member Avatar
Dragon Egg

I can't wait to hear the soundtrack. In my opinion, the soundtrack makes the movie what it is. I have such high expectations for this one.... I just need one minute of the soundtrack and I would be happy....

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHEN THIS WILL BE RELEASED???

Hiccupfriend
Terrible Terror

hiccupi
03 May 2014, 08:56
I can't wait to hear the soundtrack. In my opinion, the soundtrack makes the movie what it is. I have such high expectations for this one.... I just need one minute of the soundtrack and I would be happy....

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHEN THIS WILL BE RELEASED???
I cannot wait for the score!
I don't know when it is released but when I know I will tell it here.

I think the score is maybe is best part of HTTYD (Not that the rest is bad) it combines all the other elements together.

Zer0x

[b]Banhammerdragon
[/b]

Hiccupfriend
03 May 2014, 08:35

Don't know if everyone here knows. But after HTTYD 2 John Powell stops composing for films a while:

Powell is currently planning a sabbatical from film scoring to work on concert music, including a 45-minute oratorio devoted to the 100-year anniversary of World War I, but when he returns, he can surely expect a hero’s welcome from fans.

But who will make the score for HTTYD3? ^o)

UNAMUSED

No, I'm serious....stop it..

Hiccupfriend
Terrible Terror

Zer0x
03 May 2014, 09:04
Hiccupfriend
03 May 2014, 08:35

But who will make the score for HTTYD3? ^o)

There is being said by some people including Dean DeBlois that John Powell signed on to HTTYD 2 and HTTYD 3. But I don't know if it still is true. Wikipedia says also HTTYD 3 at John Powell page but Wikipedia is not a good source.

hiccupi
Member Avatar
Dragon Egg

If John Powell doesn't do the soundtrack for HTTYD3, I will be truly disappointed.

Hiccupfriend
Terrible Terror

hiccupi
03 May 2014, 09:09
If John Powell doesn't do the soundtrack for HTTYD3, I will be truly disappointed.

I agree John Powell has to do HTTYD 3

Because if you take another composer such as the fact at Harry Potter you will get this.

John Williams composed 1-3 and Patrick Doyle 4 Nicolas Hooper 5-6 and Alexandre Desplat 7-8.

They were all good scores but none of them had the Harry Potter feel of John Williams.

I don't want that to happen to HTTYD!

Fynriel
Gronckle

Hiccupfriend
Because if you take another composer such as the fact at Harry Potter you will get this.

John Williams composed 1-3 and Patrick Doyle 4 Nicolas Hooper 5-6 and Alexandre Desplat 7-8.

They were all good scores but none of them had the Harry Potter feel of John Williams.

Harry Potter music pretty much went downhill after John Williams left. The whole series already feels incoherent, because of the many different approaches by different directors and dramatic shifts in overall quality, but the score really contributed to that problem the most.

It just wouldn't be HTTYD with Powell. And Deblois.

Hiccupfriend
Terrible Terror

Fynriel
03 May 2014, 09:34
Hiccupfriend

Harry Potter music pretty much went downhill after John Williams left. The whole series already feels incoherent, because of the many different approaches by different directors and dramatic shifts in overall quality, but the score really contributed to that problem the most.

It just wouldn't be HTTYD with Powell. And Deblois.

You say it right!

HTTYD needs Powell and DeBlois otherwise it wouldn't be our beloved HTTYD!!!