Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Why 'How to Train Your Dragon 2' is a radical feminist triumph
Topic Started: 22 Jun 2014, 13:18 (1294 Views)
Eret
....Son of Eret

Remember this post from a few days ago? This article directly refutes that one and makes some very good points of its own. Some of the best parts:
Quote:

Meanwhile, while Hiccup is going on a discovery quest, his female counterpart Astrid is busy rejecting orders and doing her own thing. After Hiccup's failed first and second attempts to try to find the villain Drago, he gets sidetracked by his encounter with his mother and lapses into inaction. Meanwhile, Astrid makes the totally independent decision to enlist the dragon trappers' help and/or follow them to Drago. Without that action, Team Peace might never have actually encountered Drago, the plot's third act might never have gotten underway, and Eret would never have switched sides to help free the dragon riders and defeat the bad guy.

As an aside: how much chemistry did Astrid and Hiccup have together? When was the last time you saw a romantic couple in an animated film have that much casual touching and body interaction that wasn't a deliberate setup for a meet-cute? Maybe Shrek? Maybe never. It was great.

Female sexuality is never shamed or repressed in HTTYD 2. Additionally, as ladygeekgirl points out in her smart take on the film, the women of DreamWorks, unlike the women of Frozen, actually have faces that are different from one another.
Quote:

In absolutely every other Hollywood version of the HTTYD 2 narrative, Hiccup's discovery of his mother's two-decade-long absence would have resulted in an explicit shaming of her choices and a prolonged "how could you abandon me?" confrontation that would probably have ended with her breaking down in tears and Hiccup's eventual acceptance and forgiveness of her inexplicable absence all this time.

Instead, Hiccup instantly and immediately recognized that his mom's choices were her own choices, and that they were obviously valuable and important. At no point did the narrative shame Valka for rejecting her role as a mother and a housewife. Instead, she not only got to make the coolest entrance, but basically was presented as the most unbelievably cool character we've seen in an animated film in ages
Quote:

Valka was never intended to be a serious physical match for Drago, nor should she have been, because the whole point of her character aligned with her son's is to personify the Viking nation's progressive anti-violence stance. Sorry that Valka was too busy working as a zoologist to become the vaunted warrior-hero-soldier that apparently makes a female character strong enough for you, Dissolve. Instead, she spends years subversively rescuing dragons from capture like a radical Greenpeace activist, and she is the one who leads the enormous dragon army into battle against Drago.

While it's true that she gets rescued by her husband, so does everyone else in her family. They spend the movie running around trying to protect each other: Stoick saves Hiccup, Valka, and Hiccup again; Valka saves Toothless, Toothless saves Hiccup, and then Hiccup and Toothless save everyone.

source: http://www.dailydot.com/opinion/how-to- ... -feminist/

I have to say this gave made me think about a lot of things in ways I hadn't considered before and changed my mind about some of what I agreed with Dissolve on. Interested to hear what others think now that they've seen this presented from both sides...
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

HideousZippleback

[color=blue]I'm just here for Snotlout.
[/color]

I love this article. I mean it points out quite a bit of good points, especially the saving the people part.

Crest1347
Dragon Egg

I really can't say anything else that HideousZippleback didn't.

And...Yep...I'm a Nerd
Terrible Terror

Love it. It's good to hear someone acknowledge that there are other forms of strength than physical prowess. And as I've said before I don't get this complaint that Valka isn't awesome because Drago defeated her.

I do think they're a little off base on the idea of Hiccup accepting Valka's choices. I mean, Hiccup would have had every right to be angry, especially since his mother never adequately explained why she essentially abandoned him. How would that be "shaming" her choice?
Hiccup: Dragons are kind, amazing creatures that can bring people together
Drago: Or tear them apart...

Berserk Shieldmaiden
Superior Warriorness

I thought it was really cool that Valka was more of a Jane Goodall type instead of just another Astrid or Ruffnut.

KentuckyWildcat
Raw Vikingness

I guess it makes some good counter-points to that other article in places. Where I strongly disagree here is the portrayal of a mother abandoning her child as an unequivocally positive thing so long as the choice was her own. If criticizing that choice is considered "shaming", then maybe some choices deserve to be shamed.
Come death. Come suffering. I will not live in fear. In this fleeting life where time escapes us, the path of least resistance is a slow quiet death. I'd rather burn out than fade away.

Eret
....Son of Eret

KentuckyWildcat
23 Jun 2014, 18:06
I guess it makes some good counter-points to that other article in places. Where I strongly disagree here is the portrayal of a mother abandoning her child as an unequivocally positive thing so long as the choice was her own. If criticizing that choice is considered "shaming", then maybe some choices deserve to be shamed.

I do agree with this, I think its a good thing that she did what made her happy and what she truly believed to be right but if things were different and Hiccup was hurt and upset with her he would have had every right to be.

Fawnduu
Gronckle

Im so glad that this article touched on the fact that strength is not always physical and to say that valka isnt a strong female character because she isnt as physically strong as a male does not make her weaker as a whole. What made her strong was her ablility to to do what she felt was right and lead her alpha into battle. Also thank god they rebuttaled the whole stoick saves her therefore she is unworthy. Like she wouldnt do the same for stoick, or hiccup, or cloud jumper or ALL OF HER DRAGONS??? She put her life on the line for hundreds of dragons.
Im Courtney, a Concept Artist/ Computer Animator! 8)

My Art Page
My Animations

Hope_and_Heir

[color=#B40431]Winner of Shnuckle's Oneshot Fanfiction Contest 2014
[/color]

Just... THIS
'There Were Dragons When I Was A Boy…'