Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
The movie was too short
Topic Started: 22 Jun 2014, 19:26 (1405 Views)
alpha_dragon
Member Avatar
Dragon Egg

Is it just me or was the movie too short for the amount of character development DreamWorks tried to pack into 100 minutes? Everything seemed rushed. I would kill for a ~180 minute long HTTYD 3 movie. DreamWorks could really learn from Peter Jackson. It would have been great to show that Drago was more complicated than a mad-man (e.g. Captain Ahab). I would love to have been able to see more flashback scenes of Valka being ostracized, but I suppose it would have been redundant given that we already saw Hiccup's ostracism in the first movie. Also, Hiccup should have been more distraught. He was too quiet; he was more distraught in the cloud scene before masked Valka shows up. What happened to the raw emotion Hiccup showed in the first movie when Toothless almost killed Stoick in the first movie? However, Hiccup's "silence" was perfect for the funeral scene.
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

Nightshade
Monstrous Nightmare

I think that httyd2 should have been atleast 150 minutes long, they missed out so much...

Night fury fire

[b]
[color=blue]We're fangirls! It's an occupational hazard...
[/color]
[/b]

Nightshade
23 Jun 2014, 14:27
I think that httyd2 should have been atleast 150 minutes long, they missed out so much...
Yep agreed
^_^ ;) :D :$ :P 8) :'( :( ^) :O :blink: >:( <3 <- me seeing httyd 2

puxlit
Member Avatar
Better in Silhouette Form

Animation is expensive. How expensive? Well...
Dean DeBlois, DP/30 @ Cannes
17 Jun 2014, 16:01
[...] we're talking about over a million dollars a minute in animation [...]

[Source: https://youtu.be/VOtEDEBGh28?t=19m41s]
I'm afraid the only way we're getting 180 minutes is if Katzenberg "convinces" DeBlois to split the third film in two.

Quincy Dan
Member Avatar
The real Hiccup

I think they did it short to keep it moving fast. That, and they don't want to make a family film too long because it will lose the attention of younger viewers.

Sabrina
Terrible Terror

I think they could have give more time for Stoick vs Hiccup relationship, They should have shown the scene where Hiccup wakes up and talks with Stoick instand of the scene where he tells Astrid. Would be an important scene.
"Pain... love it."

Shnuckles
Deadly Nadder

I thought that this movie was longer than Dragons1? Maybe I'm wrong, I didn't check :P

CatsMeow
Gronckle

I thought so, too. But I don't mind. There are movies out there that are so long with lots of pointless character development and I feel if it was longer it would be ruined completely.
"Go you must. No guest shall stay in one place for ever. Love will be lost if you sit too long at a friend's fire."

alpha_dragon
Member Avatar
Dragon Egg

If there were deleted scenes (even if they were storyboard pictures), I wish DreamWorks would release a director's cut version of the movie like Peter Jackson's four hour long versions of the LOTR movies.

Jendora
Hiccup's Girlfriend

Yeah, it did feel pretty short and that made some of the scenes seem super rushed. They could've definitely added at least another half hour of character development, I think.
Coming Soon!!