Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Golden Globe goes to How To Train Your Dragon 2
Topic Started: 15 Jan 2015, 15:18 (10982 Views)
Hope_and_Heir

[color=#B40431]Winner of Shnuckle's Oneshot Fanfiction Contest 2014
[/color]

hcsp1
15 Jan 2015, 19:11
Dragon's Apprentice
15 Jan 2015, 18:59
Okay.... i'm just going to put this out there to put to rest all of the "httd2 getting an oscar could ruin httyd3" for us.

Everyone on the team for a movie makes a movie because they enjoy it. Like musicians make their music because they enjoy it. From animators to writers, directors, actors and every other job description you could mention in the process of creating something from nothing- They are all artists. They don't make a movie to make themselves more famous, or to get an oscar. i'm sure if you asked any of them, the oscars are just an added pat on the back for hard work done. I think it's offensive (not just to Dean DeBlois but to the entire team) to say that an oscar could mean anything but good things for httyd3.

To say that such talented people could make something mediocre because their egos can't take a feeling of accomplishment is just wrong. I think it's great to see them get awards like this and i hope it happens again (and again and again for years to come after HTTYD is log over) because since the very beginning from Cressida Cowell putting ink to paper to Dean DeBlois accepting that award this franchise has been made into something great, something special, and it will always be.

Petty opinion squabbling aside, you have to have enough confidence in these wonderful people to know they're are never going to become egotistical. If they were, they would have had every right to be so already. Not every sequel is a flop, this has been proven a lot recently but yet everyone is surprised when it still happens. They have the ability to do it. So let's hope they do it again, and please don't bring the creative team behind this franchise into question because the lego movie didn't get nominated for an oscar. So... as good fans should, let's give them a pat on the back even if they win an oscar or not.
Freaking Amen to that!
^_^
'There Were Dragons When I Was A Boy…'

PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

Dragon's Apprentice
Mr. Potato Sandwich

Just adding what i think helps to prove my point.

https://twitter.com/philiplord/status/5 ... 89/photo/1

This is a tweet from the director of Lego Movie if you havn't seen it already.

:p
"I was so afraid of becoming my dad. Mostly because I thought I never could. How do you become someone that great, that brave, that selfless? I guess you can only try."</3

Steve
Member Avatar
Hatchling

Dragon's Apprentice
Okay.... i'm just going to put this out there to put to rest all of the "httd2 getting an oscar could ruin httyd3" for us.

Everyone on the team for a movie makes a movie because they enjoy it. Like musicians make their music because they enjoy it. From animators to writers, directors, actors and every other job description you could mention in the process of creating something from nothing- They are all artists. They don't make a movie to make themselves more famous, or to get an oscar. i'm sure if you asked any of them, the oscars are just an added pat on the back for hard work done. I think it's offensive (not just to Dean DeBlois but to the entire team) to say that an oscar could mean anything but good things for httyd3.

To say that such talented people could make something mediocre because their egos can't take a feeling of accomplishment is just wrong. I think it's great to see them get awards like this and i hope it happens again (and again and again for years to come after HTTYD is log over) because since the very beginning from Cressida Cowell putting ink to paper to Dean DeBlois accepting that award this franchise has been made into something great, something special, and it will always be.

Petty opinion squabbling aside, you have to have enough confidence in these wonderful people to know they're are never going to become egotistical. If they were, they would have had every right to be so already. Not every sequel is a flop, this has been proven a lot recently but yet everyone is surprised when it still happens. They have the ability to do it. So let's hope they do it again, and please don't bring the creative team behind this franchise into question because the lego movie didn't get nominated for an oscar. So... as good fans should, let's give them a pat on the back even if they win an oscar or not.
That's a bit naive. The animators, writers, etc, probably like their jobs, but the movies and sequels are being made to primarily make money and not necessarily to tell a great story. It's what companies do. Need I remind you about how terrible the plots in the Shrek sequels or Transformers franchise were, yet they made more money than HTTYD?

Dragon's Apprentice
Mr. Potato Sandwich

Not naive at all. That's the "company", the higher ups, the people who make movies for money. Also known as your executives, the businessmen. They aren't artists. They like money. Sadly part of their job is making sure they have a profit and as big of one as possible which can limit the creative staff. It's actually quite naive of you to think those who make a movie (the creative staff) are only in it to make as many movies as possible so they can have more on their C.V. (resumé) and more money in their pocket. In reality the creative staff only want to make as best a movie they can. But there are those movies with a tonne of unneeded sequels and that's the higher ups employing the creative staff for another movie. The creative staff are still trying to make as good a movie as possible. But in the case where a story has already been resolved (maybe an unplanned sequel) then it'd be hard for anyone to write on top of it with as much quality as the plot of a previous movie. That's how the business behind it works sadly. but httyd doesn't have that problem. Same way Harry Potter didn't. Because the story isn't over. When it is then we will know and hope that the high ups don't contract them for another movie.

So... thanks for calling me naive on a post that was just intending to keep the lego ranting down while keeping in mind the real people behind an excellent franchise. That was lovely.

and btw- look at the directors of the Shrek movies (i havn't checked the rest of the staff) kind of proves my point speaking for itself there. I didn't really like transformers. The first one was the best of them. But there are still a lot of big transformer fans. (Michael Bay likes explosions and transformers has a budget that gives him a lot of explosions)
"I was so afraid of becoming my dad. Mostly because I thought I never could. How do you become someone that great, that brave, that selfless? I guess you can only try."</3

nightfury123
My auntie's dog might die...
:'(

hcsp1
15 Jan 2015, 19:11
Dragon's Apprentice

Freaking Amen to that!
Yes to both of these quotes, especially the bit I bolded! :D
"A warning to the people, the good and the evil. This is war..."

chupacabra
Member Avatar
Hatchling

Why did DreamWorks scrap the original plot that Valka was the antagonist?

Mccallistair
Gronckle

Deblois thought it too cerebral and confusing for the younger audience the film was intended for.

Cartoon Freak
Deadly Nadder

Quote:

1. The Lego Movie is the Lego Movie. However good it is (and I think it's great too), it's still a 90 minute toy commercial. Academy voters obviously see this.

2. It came out last in Feburary of last year, animations normally don't have the legs to keep voters interested for that long.

3. Please don't wax lyrical about how The Lego Movie 'has no faults'. It's a movie, they're subjective. I thought the live-action ending was not quite as successful as it could had been, but it didn't ruin my overall experience of the film. Or is your opinion the only one that matters?
1. And HTTYD 2 was obviously greenlit because it was easy money. That didn't stop it from being good enough in the eyes of the Academy, nor should it have. In the end, the Oscars are supposed to reward movies for the final product, not for the reasons for production.

2. The people in charge of the Academy Award nominations really should have more integrity than that. It doesn't take a lot of effort to go take another look at one of the most critically acclaimed animated films of the year.

3. I didn't say The Lego Movie had no faults. I said that I was only able to find one (and that I've yet to read another one on this topic, in spite of my many prompts to people to provide one). Given that I'm a cynical guy who is, with no false modesty, is very good at finding faults, that says a lot. There's probably some more hiding in there, but they're evidently less and better hidden than the many flaws in HTTYD 2.
Quote:

So, based on that logic, The Cohen Brothers made nothing but bad movies after "No Country For Old Men" because that got them an Oscar and they were like "Yeah, good enough, let's just make crap now". And The Cohen Brothers don't do bad films... I bet it's a law somewhere in the world.
There are exceptions, of course, but they're fighting against human nature, and I really don't want to put my hopes in exceptions when it comes to that. Also, in regards to the Cohen Brothers, it probably helps that there's two of them. It's probably a lot easier for one to listen to the other than it is for either of them to listen to outside criticisms.

And it's not like there's a conscious decision on someone's part to stop making good movies. Rather, they start to believe the hype people spread about them, and stop listening to criticism (or at the very least, do it a lot less readily). That's what causes stagnation or regression.

In short, in the arts, there are few things worse than a satisfied artist.
Quote:

But, back on topic, you are saying that if HTTYD 2 wins than DeBlois will go "Yeah... Screw everything I already have PLANNED OUT for the 3rd film. I'll just ditch it all and shit out something because screw it! I got an Oscar, so everyone will buy it and be happy with it!"

As of now, from intereviews with Dean about HTTYD 3, he already has the story planned from beginning to end(I remember him saying something like that back when HTTYD 2 was released on Blue-Ray, meaning 3 months ago pretty much) and is now going through drafts of it(Again, since pretty much the same time as the intereview). The movie is set to come out in June 2017, that's about 2 and a half years from now. The Oscars are set to happen in a few months(I believe March? Not sure) So, it doesn't matter if HTTYD 2 will win or not, HTTYD 3 will probably be in the voice recording stages and maybe very early animation stages by that time, meaning the script phase is complete. Re-writes are of course optional but what movie maker in his right mind will go back to a script after he won an Oscar going "Let's make this movie suck now"?
1. This is the same man who changed the villain of HTTYD 2 partway through production. Clearly, he has a different definition of "planned" to most people.

2. Yes, he may have a story written for HTTYD 3, but I'll wager that it's very flawed, given the final product we got for HTTYD 2. The point of losing is the Oscar is that it gives him that extra motivation to dive right into the nitty-gritty of that script and make sure that every plot point, every character, every line works as best as it can. In short, to produce something that is not just as good as HTTYD 2, but better. Do you not want a better movie?
Quote:

Let me just say this. I'm glad HTTYD 2 got nominated and will be really happy if it wins, but if The Lego Movie had been Pixar, it would have been nominated. I'm sure. Considering Brave got a nomination which it ended up winning, I'm sure the Pixar tag is enough to get you an Oscar, however bad the movie actually is.
Yes, which is why Monsters Inc., Cars, Cars 2, and Monsters University all won the Best Animated Picture Oscar.
Quote:

1. In the end, filmmakers are only human (I hope - though the idea of aliens making movies as some sort of prelude to an invasion isn't a bad one; I'll add it to the pile). Getting an award inevitably inflates the ego. In some cases, the effect might be small, but possessing that level of optimism (at least about something you can't change) is a surefire way to disappointment.

2. Okay, I'm calling your bluff: how will HTTYD 2 winning an Oscar improve the quality of HTTYD 3?
Quote:

Not naive at all. That's the "company", the higher ups, the people who make movies for money. Also known as your executives, the businessmen. They aren't artists. They like money. Sadly part of their job is making sure they have a profit and as big of one as possible which can limit the creative staff. It's actually quite naive of you to think those who make a movie (the creative staff) are only in it to make as many movies as possible so they can have more on their C.V. (resumé) and more money in their pocket. In reality the creative staff only want to make as best a movie they can. But there are those movies with a tonne of unneeded sequels and that's the higher ups employing the creative staff for another movie. The creative staff are still trying to make as good a movie as possible. But in the case where a story has already been resolved (maybe an unplanned sequel) then it'd be hard for anyone to write on top of it with as much quality as the plot of a previous movie. That's how the business behind it works sadly. but httyd doesn't have that problem. Same way Harry Potter didn't. Because the story isn't over. When it is then we will know and hope that the high ups don't contract them for another movie.
The original film left no unresolved issues. It's part of what made it so brilliant. So, when the time came to make a sequel they had to pull ideas out of nowhere:

"Yes, Hiccup's mother is alive for some reason, and there's this guy who wants to... uh, take over the world! Of course!"

The result is a story that reads more like a fanfic than an official sequel. A very good fanfic, to be fair, but I hold professionals to higher standards than that.
Quote:

Why did DreamWorks scrap the original plot that Valka was the antagonist?
Because DeBlois thought kids were too stupid to understand the idea of a mother being the antagonist, in spite of the fact that they were able to understand the idea of a father being the antagonist in the first movie. Yes, DeBlois thinks kids are getting stupider. I really, really hope he's wrong, but that's mostly for reasons unrelated to films.

Note to moderators: I appreciate that you have the final say on rules, and that if you deem me to break rules, then my posts may be edited as a result. But can it please be actual editing, rather than just hacking out chunks of my argument and leaving it a nonsensical mess that I have to go back and edit again myself?
Number of times I've watched the trailer: 18.

My pet peeve: people who refer to complete strangers by their first name. The correct ways to refer to a "John Smith" whom you have never met are Smith, Mr Smith, or John Smith. Not "John". He's not your buddy.

KentuckyWildcat
Raw Vikingness

Regardless of who wins or gets nominated, I really don't care about award shows and never have.

As to the topic of whether or not an Oscar for HTTYD 2 will affect the quality of HTTYD 3, here's my two cents.

It seems that the main argument for a potential award negatively affecting HTTYD 3 is that it would give Dean and his team too much satisfaction and ego to put their best, most creative effort into it. That's certainly happened to more than a few acclaimed filmmakers over the years, so I don't think it's a completely unreasonable thing to worry about. However, the framework for the story of HTTYD 3 is supposedly already in place with production underway. Also, it typically takes some time for someone to buy into their own hype. I'm not immeadiately aware of any director/producer who won an award and then immediately turned around and totally gutted what they were already working on, making it worse in the process. Also worth noting that the flaws in HTTYD 2 (and I definitely agree they exist) happened without a previous award. I'm not sure that losing out on the Oscar would actually serve as any significant impetus for Dean to change anything.

For the counter-argument, it's been stated several times that Dean and his team are good, hard-working people. I don't know them, but I won't dispute that they are. The problem with basing an argument on this, is that plenty of bad films have been made by good, hard-working people. As a matter of fact, I don't know of any major film studio that has a reputation for being primarily composed of bad people, yet a ton of bad movies gets released every year.

Tl;dr I don't think there's enough time for the production of HTTYD 3 to be significantly effected by an Oscar, but good people are plenty capable of making bad movies. It'll likely sink or swim on the merits of whatever Dean has already envisioned.
Come death. Come suffering. I will not live in fear. In this fleeting life where time escapes us, the path of least resistance is a slow quiet death. I'd rather burn out than fade away.

chupacabra
Member Avatar
Hatchling

I hope that stupid petition doesn't cause Dean to dumb down HTTYD3.